Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Getting relegated would be a disaster for next year as it severely limits the chance to experiment next year for Dessie or a new manager. With the new rules coming in we absolutely no not want to be in a dogfight during next years league campaign.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree on the second point. But not on the first. I can’t see any structure to it at all.

But it’s grand Dessie has the problem twigged ‘no cohesion’ . 🤔

That is why Dessie is in the hotseat the ability to spot that 🤣 . Genius stuff.

All I can think now is how Gilroy approached his Dublin revamp when he first took over. He eventually set Dublin up as hard to beat a solid unit. Didn’t have the half backs bombing forwards. Then when he got the defensive stuff/ closing down/ fitness right he moved on to the attack. And he tried out loads of fellas in the league/O’Byrne Cup.

Concentration on fitness and workrate etc.

Hard training sessions etc. I have seen no evidence of any of that taking shape under Farrell. Where is the closing down/harrying basic stuff?

--

Gilroy even brought in a fella for the psychological stuff. Bart McEnroe. Channelling energy in the right way

https://punditarena.com/gaa/daniel-hussey/pat-gilroy-bernard-brogan/

The Dublin manager identified that not only his players, but himself, had been emotionally hijacked during that defeat. So he started meeting with performance and business consultant Bart McEnroe, as Bernard Brogan recalls in his autobiography ‘The Hill’.

Brogan remembers how the St. Vincents man started meeting McEnroe “for a series of brutal four-hour sessions every week for ten weeks.”

He continued: “At the first meeting in Citywest, this Bart fella apparently tore into Pat, saying he’d brought shame on his county for overseeing that disaster in Croke Park.

“‘You’re only a novice! Bluffer! Choker! Your team can’t tackle. You can’t coach! You can’t manage!’

“He kept on abusing Pat and his team right until they were nose to nose. Pat eventually snapped and pinned him against the wall.

“Bart just smiled. Pat, look at yourself! You’ve allowed yourself to be emotionally hijacked again!”

--

I wonder what lads writing books will be saying about Dessie Farrell's management in 10 -15 years?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It is a pity Dessie has not been able to settle on a few of the lads and stick with them to at least get some game plan .He appears to have no idea on who to bring in or any game plans .Any of the other lads to come back if they do are coming back to a very unsettled setup that does not bode well .At least at this stage he should have us a bit tighter at the back to give us a chance to at stay in games last night again we looked beaten well before the end .

It's not even good play that's beating us in the backs. It's a mixture of route one and hard running straight down the middle. If it was one or the other we might have some chance but right now we are so open it is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

We seem very open at the back.

There were numerous occasions when Davy Byrne was keft on his own against a mayo forward.

One decent high ball in and Byrne would be in trouble.

Imagine McShane, Clifford or Geaney in that position.

It doesn't bear thinking about.

• Advertisement

If things carry on we will not have to worry about meeting Kerry as we will be out by then .Our problems seem to run deep so a few lads returning may not be enough to turn things around .Next up away v Kildare another tough one and they would love to send us down which will be likely if we lose to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We worked a lot harder last night which was progress I suppose. That said we were still comfortably out worked by Mayo.

Our resolve has been tested for a few games in a row now and i'm afraid we're checking out of the battle before the opposition. Young players, experienced players, living legends... they're all not matching their counterparts in the 'fight'. It's not something we're accustomed to seeing and it has to change fast. Never mind the All Ireland, we'll lose in Leinster if that isn't addressed.

McGarry did ok. He pulled out of a few challenges and he's physically not the biggest. Worth persisting with though.

I felt sorry for Basquel because he was really eager to get involved but nothing worked for him on the night. Needs to just calm down if he gets another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin are in bits… the team appear to lack pace… so often our lads are resigned to seeing the backs of the opposition players jersey… weird. Our midfield and defense are being ran through.

I reckon there's plenty of pace still in the team. It's lacking direction though. I noticed it again last night but watch for it the next time we play. When we get the ball players haven't a clue where a team-mate is going to be. The amount of times one of our players gets the ball and has to take a second or two to look around them is unforgivable. Whatever team Dessie are working on in training it is certainly not forward play and from the looks of things it's not defense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still though, If Con and a few others jump over the wall and join the hurlers, sure Dessie will have done some good 😂

• Advertisement

Just read on RTE that Dessie has used 46 players so far this season. No wonder we are all over the place. That's completely nuts, especially for someone coming into their third season. He hasn't a notion what he wants.

well i was about to ask how many has he tried that is more than i thought seems a lot especially as he appears not to know who should be in the mix little wonder the players appear all at sea on the field .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another disappointing night. Even the few tiny signs of progress were so small that the rate of improvement would mean we might win a league game in about three years.

Lucky that Kildare didn’t get another point or even the full two. From a Dublin point of view Kildare will fancy themselves in Newbridge from the looks of things.

A dogfight now with us kildare and mons for survival haveto win in newbridge now for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

The shooting was very poor last night. A lot of easy scores shot wide. Its something to work on in training. They need to show a bit more composure in front of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So three teams worth of players, I know it’s the league and it can be an opportunity to try and give a chance at inter-county level to potential new talent but when you have 46 players, 3 teams worth… that’s impossible to build any cohesive team play around codology like that…

Bit that annoyed me on League Sunday. They were afraid to say Farrell looks like being the major fault at all.

Cantwell hinted at the strange interview from Farrell. Instead what did we get ?

Whelan going on about Farrell having no time to coach players! But the truth is the poor way Dublin has been playing has been obvious since Wexford in last year’s championship!

Spillane threw in more excuses about older players been mentally tired. No mention of that ‘tiredness’ in 2019 drawn game v Kerry - Dublin a man down.

It was like the pundits were afraid to mention the elephant in the room - Dessie Farrell. Mentioning everything but him and having excuses from all angles.

There has been no sign of a plan no sign of ‘Dessie’s team’. Much as he was a legend of a player. I think even I have reached the stage where I don’t think Farrell is up to it. Put in any half decent manager and this Dublin panel should at least have some sort of structure and way of playing at this stage.

Jayus mediocre div 2 teams would not be afraid of rattling into this Dublin team now.

Even the standard of warm ups have dropped. Farrell’s interviews are defeatist and weak. They hardly inspire confidence. If blooding players is the only thing pundits can praise him for that is not saying much!?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Exactly I can’t remember the last time Dublin had ‘triangles’ of players showing for the ball making runs. Two fellas giving options for the fella on the ball. Dublin used to have loads of options- triangles everywhere. Switches of play.

If Dessie did a bit of basketball style drills you would think at least that would improve? I was thinking it is a pity MD McCauley is gone travelling. With his basketball background he would be of some use to the back room staff IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Goodigal

There's a nervousness about the team that I haven't seen in years, especially in defence. I have little or no faith in the GK right now, and can sense panic whenever the ball is heading towards him. I thought we did ok for most of the first half, but the shot selection was so poor in the second, and we never looked like getting back into it before they pulled away. Really don't know where the blame lies - the loss of so many greats, the poor form of Howard and Scully (and others!), Dessie and his multitude of players who aren't getting enough game time. No clue if we can even win Leinster at this point. Possibly not going by the last 3 games.

Just on Howard, I still think it's bananas having him in the half backs instead of running at defenses from the half forward line.

I didn't see league Sunday I have also stopped listening to the panels anyway but I don't think they go as after the manager the same way as soccer pundits did or do so wouldn't really expect the likes of Whelo to target Dessie whatever his opinion is in private . Some of the others are quite happy to see us struggling so are proberly happy to roll out the usual clichés and leave it at that .I have not read good old Joe but I haven't heard him blaming Dessie but am open to correction on that .

Heading down on Sunday didn't expect it to be a near relegation match for us but we lose this and its one foot in division 2 I think. We really need to show something from now on in the remaining games .

Clerkin in the IT thinks Dessie is trying to get the players to play more direct.

Basically if that is the case it has been the worst of both worlds. Aimlessly kicking or slow side to side hand passing going nowhere.

Needs an Eoghan O’Gara type of player.

Tipp Team to play Dublin Hurlers in Thurles

Dublin Team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin are having much the better of it against Tipp but the wides are killing them.

There's a strange lack of intensity about Tipp. They'll surely up it in the second half.

Not watching it. But I have Tipp FM on. Commentary full of praise for Dublin’s workrate and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Havent watched a minute of the hurling or football this year, but Dublin look very improved, the sloppiness in handling and passing is gone, the shooting is still a sticking point it seems. Tipp do seem to be going easy

• Advertisement

Dublin 1-8 to 10 @ HT. McBride got the Dublin goal.

Advertisement