Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good stuff. Did the Autobahn run out of batter burgers :-)

Be great to see them have a go at All Ireland, but I'd say that's not going to happen. Only hope might be if inter county is called off and that's not an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought at one time that James MacCarthy was overrated. I guess it was because he didn’t do the flashy things that get noticed. But I take it back.
    He’s just as valuable to a team as the likes of a Bernard Brogan or Gooch Cooper.
    And he’s one cool fu@ker. In the Boden game, MD MacCauley hit J. Small a proper dig – semi elbow, semi shoulder. If it were someone from my home county (Mayo) that got that hit, half the team would be running over waving imaginary red cards. But MacCarthy just strolled over (or kinda waddled) to Michael Darragh and practically gave him he a pat on the back as if to say “good hit”. Coolness personified.
    I have a softspot for Dublin as live, work and play for club in Dublin. I really hope Paddy Small develops on to intercounty. Love watchin him play. I love his confidence. And he took some battering on Sunday but just kept getting up for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought at one time that James MacCarthy was overrated. I guess it was because he didn’t do the flashy things that get noticed. But I take it back.
    He’s just as valuable to a team as the likes of a Bernard Brogan or Gooch Cooper.
    And he’s one cool fu@ker. In the Boden game, MD MacCauley hit J. Small a proper dig – semi elbow, semi shoulder. If it were someone from my home county (Mayo) that got that hit, half the team would be running over waving imaginary red cards. But MacCarthy just strolled over (or kinda waddled) to Michael Darragh and practically gave him he a pat on the back as if to say “good hit”. Coolness personified.
    I have a softspot for Dublin as live, work and play for club in Dublin. I really hope Paddy Small develops on to intercounty. Love watchin him play. I love his confidence. And he took some battering on Sunday but just kept getting up for more.

Ballymun are an unusual Dublin club in that they are small and have parish vibe to them even though the club is on the outskirts of Ballymun closer to the Airport!
    However they managed to create that vibe and culture fair play to them!
    I think thier golden generation of players has a lot to do with it. I wonder will they get a crop like that again? Almost impossible I think!?

Philly is already thinking of the next generation and setting examples.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dermo gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dermo gone.

That confirmed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

That confirmed?

Yep via Dublin GAA Twitter page & statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Tasty player
    Will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He didn't have too but fair play to Jim Gavin for bringing him back last year which was really him saying goodbye and retiring on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Was thinking a few would finish up after five but COVID has added to it I reckon.

Shame to see him go but didn't expect to see him return last year at all so was delighted he got a proper send off. What a player though will be a huge loss to the game, not just Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

One of the most gifted players EVER
    He brought charisma to the GAA that will be sorely missed
    I think he made two tackles in the drawn final last year which were so so valuable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

Best player I have seen in the flesh and genuinely saddened that we wont see him again.
    Hounded out of it. Owes Dublin nothing.

Clifford is the new King!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Underrated player. Always overshadowed by Paul Flynn earlier in his career and even latterly when labels like 'gifted' or 'talented' were applied to him; hinting (not always) at a lack of application or effectiveness.

Brilliant player who made a habit of coming to the fore when games were at their most tense. Scored some jaw dropping scores along the way. Fine career with Dublin all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

corny wrote: »
    Underrated player. Always overshadowed by Paul Flynn earlier in his career and even latterly when labels like 'gifted' or 'talented' were applied to him; hinting (not always) at a lack of application or effectiveness.

Brilliant player who made a habit of coming to the fore when games were at their most tense. Scored some jaw dropping scores along the way. Fine career with Dublin all told.

He was probably one of the most naturally gifted players that has ever played the game, could kick off either foot and also a brilliant kick passer of the ball. The pass he gave Kilkenny in last years final after a brilliant interception and the pass he gave Rock in the 17 final, to me are probably two of the best passes, on both occasions they were straight into the chest of the man.

He also was one of the most hardest working players and often had to chase the likes of Keegan up the field. He probably at times was unfairly criticised and easily targeted, look he probably made a few mistakes on and off the field, but nobody is perfect. If Connolly was ever involved in any sort of incident he was an easy target for refs.

Like the incident against Carlow he gave the tiniest of shoves to the linesman, while he was been man handled by 3 Carlow players. In the same summer Brendan Harrison of Mayo speared tackled Keelan Sexton of Clare, which could have caused serious damage to Sexton but nothing was done to Harrison a spear tackle is illegal in Rugby but it seems perfectly ok to do it in the GAA.

Anyway my rant is over, I just used to get annoyed when there seemed to be a witch hunt on Connolly, anyway he can showcase his great haul of medals between county and club and has won it all. I’ll certainly miss watching the likes of McCaffrey and Connolly when the Championship restarts, but Dublin will still be a formidable force to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    He was probably one of the most naturally gifted players that has ever played the game, could kick off either foot and also a brilliant kick passer of the ball. The pass he gave Kilkenny in last years final after a brilliant interception and the pass he gave Rock in the 17 final, to me are probably two of the best passes, on both occasions they were straight into the chest of the man.

He also was one of the most hardest working players and often had to chase the likes of Keegan up the field. He probably at times was unfairly criticised and easily targeted, look he probably made a few mistakes on and off the field, but nobody is perfect. If Connolly was ever involved in any sort of incident he was an easy target for refs.

Like the incident against Carlow he gave the tiniest of shoves to the linesman, while he was been man handled by 3 Carlow players. In the same summer Brendan Harrison of Mayo speared tackled Keelan Sexton of Clare, which could have caused serious damage to Sexton but nothing was done to Harrison a spear tackle is illegal in Rugby but it seems perfectly ok to do it in the GAA.

Anyway my rant is over, I just used to get annoyed when there seemed to be a witch hunt on Connolly, anyway he can showcase his great haul of medals between county and club and has won it all. I’ll certainly miss watching the likes of McCaffrey and Connolly when the Championship restarts, but Dublin will still be a formidable force to stop.

Connolly brought the football from the mother side. His mother is from Liscannor. Hopefully likes of David Clifford get protection from referees that Connolly was never afforded . Thought Diarmuid put Leroy a lot on back foot in 2016 finals drifting into full forward and his movement off the ball. Did Sexton actually get sent off in that Harrison incident? Was raging at the time.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Connolly brought the football from the mother side. His mother is from Liscannor. Hopefully likes of David Clifford get protection from referees that Connolly was never afforded . Thought Diarmuid put Leroy a lot on back foot in 2016 finals drifting into full forward and his movement off the ball. Did Sexton actually get sent off in that Harrison incident? Was raging at the time.

Ya now that you mention it probably did bring the Football from his mother, considering his father is from Kilkenny. Also probably brought that hardiness from his mother they are tough up around the Liscannor area. Ya one thing now which seems to happen a lot is a defender wrestles a forward to the ground and the forward tries to get his man off him and when they both get up off the ground, both players get a yellow card. It should be the instigator that gets the card in my opinion.

Connolly probably did put Keegan on the back foot, and it was a crucial moment in the replay when Keegan was black carded, it allowed Connolly a little bit more freedom.

I think Sexton got a black card for the incident with Harrison, people were complaining that Sexton was grabbing onto Harrison’s neck when he was being speared tackled to the ground, which he was probably holding onto for protection more that anything.

In fairness I would have considered Cillian O’Connor a way more dirty player that Connolly. Some of his off the ball elbows and all round dirtiness never seemed to be highlighted in the media. I for one never really had much sympathy for Mayo when they lost the finals against Dublin, as I felt that Mayo used to portray this sympathy act why us and seemed to be always complaining about Dublin’s and other team’s dirtiness when they were probably the dirtiest team in the country but seemed to get a way with a lot more than other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

mcgragger wrote: »
    Best player I have seen in the flesh and genuinely saddened that we wont see him again.
    Hounded out of it. Owes Dublin nothing.

Clifford is the new King!
    I think Con might have a say in that.

Ya now that you mention it probably did bring the Football from his mother, considering his father is from Kilkenny. Also probably brought that hardiness from his mother they are tough up around the Liscannor area. Ya one thing now which seems to happen a lot is a defender wrestles a forward to the ground and the forward tries to get his man off him and when they both get up off the ground, both players get a yellow card. It should be the instigator that gets the card in my opinion.

Connolly probably did put Keegan on the back foot, and it was a crucial moment in the replay when Keegan was black carded, it allowed Connolly a little bit more freedom.

I think Sexton got a black card for the incident with Harrison, people were complaining that Sexton was grabbing onto Harrison’s neck when he was being speared tackled to the ground, which he was probably holding onto for protection more that anything.

In fairness I would have considered Cillian O’Connor a way more dirty player that Connolly. Some of his off the ball elbows and all round dirtiness never seemed to be highlighted in the media. I for one never really had much sympathy for Mayo when they lost the finals against Dublin, as I felt that Mayo used to portray this sympathy act why us and seemed to be always complaining about Dublin’s and other team’s dirtiness when they were probably the dirtiest team in the country but seemed to get a way with a lot more than other teams.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Mayo. Keegan, Cillian O'Connor, Harrison, Mayo complaining, and they are the dirtiest team in the country. all captured in one post. And this in a Dublin forum with the subject being Diarmuid Connolly. Did some Castlebar lad swoop in and steal your princess at some stage.

I don't recall Mayo coming across as whingers. They lost a couple of finals, but they kept coming back to try again. Some of the games with Dublin were edge of the seat stuff. Tough hits on both sides. Tough players on both sides. Who was complaining about Dublins dirtiness. And what did they get away with that other teams didn't get away with.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Mayo. Keegan, Cillian O'Connor, Harrison, Mayo complaining, and they are the dirtiest team in the country. all captured in one post. And this in a Dublin forum with the subject being Diarmuid Connolly. Did some Castlebar lad swoop in and steal your princess at some stage.

I don't recall Mayo coming across as whingers. They lost a couple of finals, but they kept coming back to try again. Some of the games with Dublin were edge of the seat stuff. Tough hits on both sides. Tough players on both sides. Who was complaining about Dublins dirtiness. And what did they get away with that other teams didn't get away with.

It’s not a chip on my shoulder about Mayo, I have huge respect for a lot of Mayo players that played in them games. I was making a point about how the likes of Cillian O’Connor got away with more than what the likes of Connolly or even Paul Galvin before that got away with.

Of course there were some great battles and physicality, when both teams met. I was just pointing out how the Connolly got 3 months for the slightest push, while in the same year a couple of weeks after Connolly’s incident Brendan Harrison speared tackled my own county and club man in Keelan Sexton to the ground which could have caused serious damage to him. Sexton got black carded for the same incident, when he done nothing wrong, that’s what I was pointing out.

In my opinion if Connolly got 3 months for a push which wasn’t going to cause harm to the linesman. Then Harrison should have received a much longer ban for something that is an illegal tackle in rugby, if someone spear tackles someone to the ground in rugby they are looking at a lengthy ban, so why should it be deemed acceptable then in the GAA. That’s the point I was trying to make. The majority of Mayo players like I said I would have great respect for but being honest the O’Connors, Harrison and Keegan are dirty players let’s call a spade a spade.

The point in general was that Connolly got this bad reputation and the media I feel didn’t help him. Like when Keegan and Connolly went wrestling in 2015 it was Keegan that started it and provoked Connolly but Connolly gets sent off and Keegan only gets a yellow. If it was any other player Dublin that was wrestling on the ground with Keegan it would have been 2 yellow cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Connolly always got so much negative press because at the end of the day he is a rogue with a bit of a temper. He had his own way and stuck to it. Rather than going down the road of the negatives and who should or shouldn't have gotten sent off and all that craic that's been argued to death over the years i think we should be focusing on the good stuff. I'll never forget him wearing the leitrim top before the 2011(that was 2011 wasnt it?) final and the sleeveless top before the 2017 final, i never heard Spillane as excited as he was that day.

As a football fan i think he was a joy to watch, sadly the only times i got to watch him in the flesh was when we were being bet by Dublin but they were still some of the greatest games of ball i was ever at or maybe will ever be at. He was absolutely a different level, the pass to kilkenny at last years final and the one against Mayo too from a few years ago showed what he could do, literally inch perfect. Two of his best all round performances in my eyes was the 2014 club final against Castlebar Mitchells and again that year in the semi final loss to Donegal. Absolutely sublime talent and his retirement is a loss to the intercounty game whatever you look at it!

Who is the king now, Con certainly has less space in his trophy cabinet than Clifford but both of them have a long way to go to build a legacy close to Connolly's. Clifford is extremely talented no doubt but i never got the impression that he is as hard a worker on the pitch as Con is but sure time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Naturally gifted. Two great feet. Got some great scores over the years. There was a hush in the crowd when he was on the ball. An expectancy that something magic could happen. And often did.

His temperament could definately be suspect, though,.and i was worried at times in some big games that he'd see red. And then see a red card. And it happened a few times which was disappointing.

All in all another great servant to our county. Bit mad but a genius in his own way.

• Advertisement

It’s not a chip on my shoulder about Mayo, I have huge respect for a lot of Mayo players that played in them games. I was making a point about how the likes of Cillian O’Connor got away with more than what the likes of Connolly or even Paul Galvin before that got away with.

Of course there were some great battles and physicality, when both teams met. I was just pointing out how the Connolly got 3 months for the slightest push, while in the same year a couple of weeks after Connolly’s incident Brendan Harrison speared tackled my own county and club man in Keelan Sexton to the ground which could have caused serious damage to him. Sexton got black carded for the same incident, when he done nothing wrong, that’s what I was pointing out.

In my opinion if Connolly got 3 months for a push which wasn’t going to cause harm to the linesman. Then Harrison should have received a much longer ban for something that is an illegal tackle in rugby, if someone spear tackles someone to the ground in rugby they are looking at a lengthy ban, so why should it be deemed acceptable then in the GAA. That’s the point I was trying to make. The majority of Mayo players like I said I would have great respect for but being honest the O’Connors, Harrison and Keegan are dirty players let’s call a spade a spade.

The point in general was that Connolly got this bad reputation and the media I feel didn’t help him. Like when Keegan and Connolly went wrestling in 2015 it was Keegan that started it and provoked Connolly but Connolly gets sent off and Keegan only gets a yellow. If it was any other player Dublin that was wrestling on the ground with Keegan it would have been 2 yellow cards.

Sorry man. You’re making no sense. Diarmuid Connolly got sent off in 2015 for throwing a punch whilst grappling with Lee Keegan. Both players would have received a yellow if he hadn’t swung the fist. What is actually comical in that situation – despite you on about the fortunes that put Mayos way, Connollly was actually cleared of that red card, much to most peoples surprise when the punch was clearly caught on camera.

I don’t know how involved you are in GAA or how much you know about it. But you cannot compare tusstles involving players with interfering with an official. Hitting or pushing an official is a no no in the game. If you mean to be serious in the points that you raised, don’t go there. Paul Galvin whacked the notebook out of a refs hand. D Commolly pushed the linesman. Players get hotheaded on the pitch and sometimes it goes overboard between players. But for players to start getting physical with the officials is very exceptional and completely out of bounds. Our own Andy Moran was lucky I think at one point. I remember in some match it looked like it just overdid his enthusiasm. And we were holding breaths down west for a few moments.

You pick out one incident between B Harrison and club buddy of yours. There’s incidents up and down the country every week where someone gets wrongly done. A quick google will advise that Keelan Sexton had Harrison in a headlock. Lifting Sexton of the ground was Harrison way to try to shake him off. If someone caught me in a headlock on the pitch, a spear tackle would be the least of their troubles. I think it was that match in 2017 that has you riled against Mayo. If you want to call a spade a spade – how many red cards have Brendan Harrison or Lee Keegan received; say at mens level – club and county. Keegan got a red card in 2014. But it was rescinded, so doesn’t count. I don’t recall a red for either player. You can’t be going around with your false allegations, smearing the good name of decent football folk. At least with Cillian and DIarmuid O’Connor, there is some basis – i.e. red cards. They have earned their stripes, and have shown to have a petulant side. I know them from club football. Not big tempers but like you said before – elbows and little digs.
    Although I don’t know what you are referring to when you say that Cillian O’Connor got away with more than Connolly or Galvin. What did he get away with. When you’re a forward, you are always going to get treatment from a back that is not within the laws of the game. You need to be able to respond in some manner. Otherwise, you will be just stuck standing out by the sideline with the corner back having a nice grip of your jersey. I play forward. From my experience, you need to mix up – elbows in the stomach, flick of the wrist to the crown jewels and the occasional standing on the toes. If anyone else on here tells me different, you haven’t played properly.

Sounds like you cannot figure out why D Connolly got a bad reputation. He got a bad reputation because he almost went to jail because he attacked someone in a pub, broke their eyesocket – it was unprovoked from what I understand. If that didn’t happen, he wouldn’t have been under the media spotlight so much. He would have been just another footballer who was tough on the pitch, with the occasional loss of temper. But that wasn’t the case. It wasn’t the media who caused it or any other player. It was himself. He didn’t get jail. But one sentence he did get was that he was a marked man in the GAA circuit from thereon. By marked, I mean a target for provocation. But as I say he initially brought that on himself. And then for same player to push a linesman.

Great player though. I remember some years ago he almost bet Castlebar on his own. Amazing performance.

Naturally gifted. Two great feet. Got some great scores over the years. There was a hush in the crowd when he was on the ball. An expectancy that something magic could happen. And often did.

His temperament could definately be suspect, though,.and i was worried at times in some big games that he'd see red. And then see a red card. And it happened a few times which was disappointing.

All in all another great servant to our county. Bit mad but a genius in his own way.

The Eric Cantona of Dublin :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Bit mad but a genius in his own way.

That's exactly what I said to my brother earlier. A mad genius.

I dont think theres a GAA fan in the country happy to see Connolly finish up with Dublin, I was hoping he would be back to his best after easing back into it last year. It was some craic watching him in full flow (not so much when he was breaking my heart against Kerry) and it will be a long time before we see someone with a complete package like him again. As good as Con and Clifford look like being, Connolly just had that something extra that got you off your seat multiple times a game. For want of a better word, he had the X Factor.

As for the physicality he brought, it's part of the game. He played right on the edge and it spilled over some times. A lot of the time it was his reputation that went against him but given a choice, you'd have him on your team 7 days a week.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

How would the Dubs rate him with their greats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

thesultan wrote: »

His magic moments were something else

His point off the left v mayo in the 2016 drawn game was majestic

thesultan wrote: »

Good question actually. I could see why Jim Gavin picked Connolly over Bernard because Connolly offers an x factor. However, he could also be a very frustrating player at times ill discipline or taking on mad shots. Such shots are great when they work, but seem very wasteful when they don't.

On the other hand he could have quiet games like when he only scored one point (a free) for Vincents v Rathnew of Wicklow (2017) and they lost!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/rathnew-shock-st-vincents-with-upset-win-in-leinster-senior-club-football-championship-36312159.html#:~:text=Vincent's%20with%20upset%20win%20in%20Leinster%20Senior%20Club%20Football%20Championship,-Rathnew%201&text=RATHNEW%20caused%20a%20sensation%20today,%2D13%20to%201%2D9.&text=Right%20up%20until%20Stafford's%20goal,one%2Dhanded%20fetch%2C%20St.

Personally I prefer the under-valued consistent type player that would go through a wall. But is not flashy - like Shane Ryan!

In saying that though, Connolly is the only fella I can think of at club level were seasoned Dub supporters are both starting laughing and clapping at same time. After Connolly hits a point from way out in Parnell Park with the outside of the foot with ease, for example. And people are shaking thier heads saying great score. Could happen a few times in a game! He always seemed to have had time on the ball and played with the head up.

I suppose Connolly was the first generation after Alan Brogan who a real footballer. Dublin lacked them for years. I think any fella who is integral to his club winning an AI club (2008) when he was just 18 deserves to at least be in the discussion of the Dublin greats.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/st-vincent-s-weather-late-nemo-storm-1.904401

Would he make it into the top six Dublin forwards of all time?

Example off the top of my head all time modern Dublin football front six:

Alan Brogan- Ciaran Kilkenny - Paul Flynn
    Vinnie Murphy - Kevin Heffernan - Dean Rock

(I hope I didn't start an argument!) :D

--

However, I think Connolly would make a great first sub against tired legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Was devo when heard Diarmuid had retired. My favourite Dublin player after Cluxton. A great servant to his club and county and delighted he came back for the 5 in a row last year.

Reading all the tributes about him the most natural/talented gaelic footballer. To me what made him extra special was his work rate on top of his ability. The game changer for him in a Dublin jersey was 2011 final. He repaid Gilroy/Whelan faith in him with his composure in possession and set up last 3 scores that day despite not having the best of games. He grew in confidence after that game. We went to another level in 2013 when Jim Gavin came in with a more attacking game. He had great battles with Leroy. He sacrificed his game with off the ball movement and drifting in full forward taking Keegan out of attacking positions. Himself, Flynner and Kilkenny has to be our greatest half forward trio. Came through some tough battles against Mayo 2013-17.

He loved playing for club. He wouldn’t hang in full forward and go through motions like other county players. He might start in there but loved to roam out the field and get on the ball. That what his game was about. Thanks for all memories Diarmo. Enjoy the retirement.

muddle84 wrote: »
    Connolly always got so much negative press because at the end of the day he is a rogue with a bit of a temper. He had his own way and stuck to it. Rather than going down the road of the negatives and who should or shouldn't have gotten sent off and all that craic that's been argued to death over the years i think we should be focusing on the good stuff. I'll never forget him wearing the leitrim top before the 2011(that was 2011 wasnt it?) final and the sleeveless top before the 2017 final, i never heard Spillane as excited as he was that day.

Yeah 2011. Dermo's brother Keith was hurling for Leitrim, and replaced Dermo's Dublin tracksuit top with a Leitrim one.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/decades-of-the-dubs/mystery-solved-how-diarmuid-connolly-ended-up-wearing-a-leitrim-top-on-all-ireland-final-day-38489778.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭billyhead

He was a fairly handy hurler himself. He could have made the Dublin panel @ team if he had devoted to it.

• Advertisement

Sorry man. You’re making no sense. Diarmuid Connolly got sent off in 2015 for throwing a punch whilst grappling with Lee Keegan. Both players would have received a yellow if he hadn’t swung the fist. What is actually comical in that situation – despite you on about the fortunes that put Mayos way, Connollly was actually cleared of that red card, much to most peoples surprise when the punch was clearly caught on camera.

I don’t know how involved you are in GAA or how much you know about it. But you cannot compare tusstles involving players with interfering with an official. Hitting or pushing an official is a no no in the game. If you mean to be serious in the points that you raised, don’t go there. Paul Galvin whacked the notebook out of a refs hand. D Commolly pushed the linesman. Players get hotheaded on the pitch and sometimes it goes overboard between players. But for players to start getting physical with the officials is very exceptional and completely out of bounds. Our own Andy Moran was lucky I think at one point. I remember in some match it looked like it just overdid his enthusiasm. And we were holding breaths down west for a few moments.

You pick out one incident between B Harrison and club buddy of yours. There’s incidents up and down the country every week where someone gets wrongly done. A quick google will advise that Keelan Sexton had Harrison in a headlock. Lifting Sexton of the ground was Harrison way to try to shake him off. If someone caught me in a headlock on the pitch, a spear tackle would be the least of their troubles. I think it was that match in 2017 that has you riled against Mayo. If you want to call a spade a spade – how many red cards have Brendan Harrison or Lee Keegan received; say at mens level – club and county. Keegan got a red card in 2014. But it was rescinded, so doesn’t count. I don’t recall a red for either player. You can’t be going around with your false allegations, smearing the good name of decent football folk. At least with Cillian and DIarmuid O’Connor, there is some basis – i.e. red cards. They have earned their stripes, and have shown to have a petulant side. I know them from club football. Not big tempers but like you said before – elbows and little digs.
    Although I don’t know what you are referring to when you say that Cillian O’Connor got away with more than Connolly or Galvin. What did he get away with. When you’re a forward, you are always going to get treatment from a back that is not within the laws of the game. You need to be able to respond in some manner. Otherwise, you will be just stuck standing out by the sideline with the corner back having a nice grip of your jersey. I play forward. From my experience, you need to mix up – elbows in the stomach, flick of the wrist to the crown jewels and the occasional standing on the toes. If anyone else on here tells me different, you haven’t played properly.

Sounds like you cannot figure out why D Connolly got a bad reputation. He got a bad reputation because he almost went to jail because he attacked someone in a pub, broke their eyesocket – it was unprovoked from what I understand. If that didn’t happen, he wouldn’t have been under the media spotlight so much. He would have been just another footballer who was tough on the pitch, with the occasional loss of temper. But that wasn’t the case. It wasn’t the media who caused it or any other player. It was himself. He didn’t get jail. But one sentence he did get was that he was a marked man in the GAA circuit from thereon. By marked, I mean a target for provocation. But as I say he initially brought that on himself. And then for same player to push a linesman.

Great player though. I remember some years ago he almost bet Castlebar on his own. Amazing performance.

Of course I’m not saying that match officials should be attacked that is unacceptable. It’s the wording of the rule that needs to change minor physical interference, if Connolly and Galvin had caused serious damage to the officials yes then a 3 month suspension would be acceptable. I think a Louth player a couple of years ago got a 3 month ban for kicking a ball away in frustration that hit an umpire.

Gordon Kelly from Clare got a ban for squirting water on the ground that hit an umpire, you can’t compare a slight push or a drop of water hitting someone and say that it’s more dangerous than someone deliberately spear tackling someone into the ground. A 1 or 2 match suspension should have been enough for both Connolly and Galvin for what they done.

I played a good bit of football when I was younger, so I would know about the stuff that goes on in the field. One thing that seems to be the case with you and some other Mayo supporters is that you seem to think it’s perfectly ok for Mayo player to do something, like Harrison spear tackling some to the ground, bias aside I’m sure you can agree that is very dangerous. I don’t seem to remember Sexton having Harrison in a headlock it was only when Harrison caught him and lifted Sexton off the ground that he caught hold of Harrison.

In the incident between Keegan and Connolly in 2015 Keegan had caught Connolly in a head lock, which you refused to point out above, Connolly was simply only trying to get Keegan off him and defending himself. Anyway I’m not getting into a war of words if you don’t get my point or think I’m making no sense or don’t agree with me that’s ok. I was just trying to make a point about how farcical the wording of the rule with regard to attacking officials is.

Advertisement