Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

GAA won't admit they got it wrong. They set up committees with yes people and make changes to competitions to make themselves relevant. The u21 was the best championship going and was played off in less than 3 months before May. Then they played u20 in middle of summer before moving back to autumn. The minor from u18 to 17 is disaster as players are been exposed to S&C at an earlier age. GAA talk about player burnout. Why not tackle the power of inter county manager who seem to dictate club and underage teams schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You are spot on. The U21 was brilliant and really gave you a good feel whether a player could step up or not. Now, it's just too big of a gap. It was far better than the colleges, which I think are a waste of time as they don't really do anything for the game other than some scholarships for already established county players.

The S&C comment is something that gets overlooked as well. Because they've moved minor and U21's back a year the knock on is that younger players are now spending more time in the gym.

It's almost at the stage now where the club game needs to cut ties with the intercounty setup completely and just do what's right for 99% of their players. It's a farce what goes on now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The u 21 was a great competition and agree much better idea what a player was likely to make the step up .

Dublin u20 team for Westmeath game tonight.

Dublin U20 panel: 

1Hugh O' Sullivan BallyBoden St Endas

2Kieran Conroy St.Pats Donabate

3Theo Clancy Kilmacud Crokes

4Ben Millist Ballinteer St Johns

5David O’Dowd Cuala

6Greg McEneaney Skerries Harps

7Conor Tyrrell St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh

8Adam Waddick Thomas Davis

9Senan Forker Castleknock

10Tom Brennan Na Fianna

11Jack Lundy Ballinteer St. John’s

12Séamus Smith Na Fianna

13Ryan O'Dwyer Ballyboden St Endas

14Luke Breathnach Ballinteer St Johns

15Fionn Murray Thomas Davis

16Max Fitzgerald Templeogue Synge Street

17Harry Donaghy Ballyboden St Endas

18Liam Smith Ballinteer St Johns

19Dean Robertson Ballymun Kickhams

20Peter Duffy Cuala

21Eoin Wilde Skerries Harps

22Ronan Cullen Ballinteers St Johns

23Sean KinsellaFingal Ravens

24Kalem O'Brien St Vincents

25Daragh Fagan Clontarf

26Luke Murphy Guinane Naomh Olafs 

Additional panel members: 

Alex Gavin Ballyboden St Endas

Alex Rogers Clann Mhuire

Andy Smith St Vincents

Bill Costello St Vincents

Conor Dolan Man O War

Darragh Dempsey Kilmacud Crokes

Eoghan O’Connor Flanagan Skerries Harps

Eoin Leen St Brigids

Ethan Dunne Skerries Harps

Killian Murphy Fingallins

Luke Swan Castleknock

Luke Ward Kilmacud Crokes

Matthew Coogan Clontarf 

Not going too well so far .

• Advertisement

Made it through in better second half .

7 points down to 5 point win. Good performances from Connor Tyrrell, Philip Waddick and Fionn Murray.

Post edited by Gael85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin team

Laois team

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Not a great performance so far. Laois well in this.

Well that was wojus. It's been a while since we played that poorly. We got the win but that's about all we'll be getting if they don't buck up. Don't think I've ever seen us hit as many wides as that first half. Donkeys arse with a banjo comes to mind.

• Advertisement

Next game is obviously huge and will tell us where we are .The amount of wides was terrible but at least managed to get the win hard to be optimistic but we shall see .

Dublin offer so much hope but constantly dash that hope with performances like tonight. They are so inconsistent.

Ah, I think certain teams bring out the worst in us and Laois are one of those teams. I'll put it down to early nerves and hopefully lads settle down for the next day.

I am just glad they got the 2 points. Look at Galway their fans are raging they dropped a point. And they were four up with 5 normal time left against the yellow bellies. At this stage it all about points on the board.

Yeah I get that and Galway threw it away but Wexford are a significant level above Laois, hopefully Dublin will grow into it, I see none of the pundits are giving Dublin a chance of coming out of Leinster, Galway, Wexford and Kilkenny all the way.

100% right. Park that game and move on to the next one.

I can't really understand why being honest. We've the beating of Wexford and Galway on our day and we won't play that bad again.

Even can push KK in Parnell. Need a lot of luck as well against that crowd though. I would have the Wexford game as a 50/50. Galway ? Who knows what Galway side will turn up in Salthill.

One thing I like about this Dublin team is they battle. Ok they might be inconsistent. But they really give it a go each game.

I agree, I give Dublin a reasonable chance, the draw last night will help their cause, but I'd like to see more consistency from the team, on their day I think they could beat most of the top teams

The Cats seem to bring out a mental block in us. We'll trade blows with them for 60 minutes and end up losing by 7 or 8 points. We don't have the same fear playing the others for whatever reason. I think the league showed we can string 3/4 really good performances together. If Kenny gets them going at the right time we'll do very well this year. There's no stand out team so far this year and it's wide open if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

3 tickets for the open stand side in Wexford Park for Saturday's Leinster Hurling game vs Wexford if anyone wants them at face value (or less). PM me if interested.

Fantastic result for the lads had my doubts but great to proved wrong .

Brilliant game management man down and all. I would say Galway will be worried when they play the Dubs down in Salthill !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Can't be understated how good a win that was. It's rare that Dublin get a fair shake from the referees but Horgan took the piss today. He gave Wexford an unbelievable platform in the second half. It would have been easy for us to wilt facing that but we exposed them brilliantly to pick off the scores needed.

I listened to commentary on South East Radio. It is gas to listen to when Wexford play. If I remember even they admitted ‘the ref let a lot go’.😏

• Registered Users Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Local commentator on local radio in one-sided shocker. No one in Wexford takes him seriously anyway. At least he isn't like Dave McIntyre, the most biased commentator on national television.

Is the black card still a thing in hurling, because O'Callaghan was blessed not to walk well before his second yellow.

Having said that, Dublin were by far the better team, and deserved winners. Wexford always know how to disappoint.

That is why I like listening to GAA on local radio. Not just your county. Always amuses.

Anyway what do Wexford people make of Wexford hurling? Are they under achieving or overachieving? Or is it just OK.

When Davy Fitz was managing he would draw in the neutrals. A bit of hype. No buzz around them now.

I'm beginning to enjoy Philly McMahon's columns in the indo.

He is right when he says it's a forwards world and you don't often hear the defenders view, so it is interesting to read and I'm sure a lot of defenders are happy to see it.

He mentioned again yesterday that a player made pretty cruel comments towards about his brother, and that he would never say who it was. But he also said they were the only player whose hand he didn't shake.

Has anyone ever observed him refusing to shake hands? Can't help wondering who that player might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Footballers face Wexford in Leinster QF.

Disappointing result for Offaly.

• Advertisement

Just seeing the highlights now. Great performance and some unreal scores. Can't believe the ref gave a second yellow and red for what was a big standard foul, nothing more.

Advertisement