Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭billyhead

Liam Sheedy is another possible candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did he not say before that he had no interest in managing other counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kerry had near complete control of that Mayo game. Despite the poor weather never had to really go through the gears. I would say Dublin need a lead at half time to have a chance. Think Dublin really struggle when legs tire. And bench options will weaken Dublin at that stage the 50-70 minute Mark.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think hurling options Eddie Brennan if thinking long term, Davy Fitz short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Kenny gone and EOD with the footballers. It wouldn't matter if we got peak Cody in now we are going nowhere fir a good few years.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you are probably right. Kenny must have thought taken them as far as he can.

Think we need a hard reset with the hurling and a serious rethink about what is going wrong because it's completely broken right now. When your captain and best player switches code for a bit part subs role in the other code the game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

deprioritizing dual players in dev squads might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

You must have been watching a different game than me if you thought Kerry had near complete control of that game. Up until the 50th minute or thereabouts Mayo were well in the game and only for their very poor shooting prevented them from going ahead in the first 15 minutes of the second half when Mayo were on top in general play. I believe Mayo had more attempts on goal than Kerry, also. Kerry opened up in the last 20 minutes but up to that Mayo were well in the game even playing without any good forwards.

Dublin have far better forwards than Mayo even without Con O Callaghan and will not be as wasteful as Mayo were in the semi final. Until Kerry beat Dublin in a big championship game in Croke Park i remain to be convinced as to their credentials.

• Advertisement

I was at the game which probably gives me a different perspective to watching it on telly. It got to the stage where Kerry knew they could afford to let Mayo shoot. And each wide and ball dropping short drained more Mayo confidence, with groans from the crowd.

The truth is Kerry never had to up their game. Won in second gear, only edgy at start then settled.

You don’t but any weight on recent Dublin v Kerry league games as evidence of the tide turning? Because I think div1 top end is a barometer of how a team is going against top level opponents.

I don't really give much notice to earlier league results when the championship comes around. Kerry are obviously a good team but i don't get all this Dublin pessimism. There will be 15 excellent footballers wearing blue on Sunday. With plenty of big day experience and buckets of belief of beating Kerry because that's what they've done for over a decade of success. Until Kerry can beat Dublin in championship at Croke Park i give Dublin a great chance and think they will win.

But do you not think there are signs of change? I place great weight on the league it was integral to Dublin’s success.

Ok fair enough first 15 is decent for Dublin. But who has the better panel and subs Dublin or Kerry? And if Con O’Callaghan is out for Dublin who is there to replace his pace and dynamism?

When Con is not in Dublin team Dublin are not the same side. In the league against top sides Dublin were really poor without Con.

Many of the side that last beat Kerry in 2019 are gone - Cluxton, McCaffery, Mannion, Connolly, McMahon, O’Sullivan, McCauley etc.

That is where the pessimism comes from. Plus the 2019 drawn game was only rescued by Gavin’s tactical nous. Would Dessie Farrell have the same tactical nous when the pressure is on? Still doubts over Dessie Farrell’s tactical decisions thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Yes that's all very true but i'm still not convinced about Kerry. If they turn it on and beat us on Sunday that's when i'll change my mind on them. Dubs by 5+

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

13 years... :)

This is the sort of analysis I come in here for. See that gorm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You've been on this negative spiral for weeks. It's incessant. We geddit, you think we're chancers and have no chance against Football Jesus and the Long Grass Dwellers.

Where did I mention chancers? I just feel Kerry are a team on the up. And Dublin are a team in decline. An inverse of 2013ish. Dublin will be on muscle memory like Kerry were when they were fading.

Perhaps you could point to where my hypotheses is wrong?

Because when I look at recent Dublin v Kerry games in the league. And Kerry’s and Dublin’s performances respectively. I can see a clear trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Any word on Con or McCarthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin Panel Championship/League Stats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

V interesting chart - notably Dublin dont seem to have anyone that scores goals with frequency apart from Con O'Callaghan. The best of the rest is Dean Rock with a goal every 6 games on avg.

Brogan, Connolly, O'Gara & Mannion would have scored goals with much more frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I am going in more with hope than confidence I will be delighted to eat my words but unless we have our very best fifteen playing which looks unlikely plus if a couple like Davie and Jamsie start how fit are they I see Kerry having too much for us .It's always tough to beat them even at our peak with much better panel there were fine enough margins in the games .But anyway hope we play our best and Kerry are not what everyone thinks they are if that is the case we could do it.

Seeing the Kerry panel there, wouldn’t be surprised if they start Barry with a view to man marking Fenton.

Which means a big game for Lahiff. I’ve been critical of him in the league but he has been solid if unspectacular. Onus on him and the likes of Howard to get a grip on the middle if Fenton is kept relatively quiet by his standards.

Preview GAA Hour - Dublin v Kerry -

Darran O’Sullivan and Barry Cahill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Barry has been out injured.

It will be a big boost for Kerry if he plays.

He always does well against Fenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I thought last year that Mayo were the worst of the semi-finalists. Dublin ,second worst, though they somehow contrived to hand Mayo the game. I thought Kerry blew it against Tyrone , that can happen in any one off game.

If last years final was Dublin V Kerry , I would not have given Dublin much chance.

I Think Galway/Derry , if they bring their top form to the final, could shock either of these two teams on the day . Last years semi-finalists all showed vulnerability.

I think we'll give them a good game. The league this year was a bit of a basketcase for us. Dessie tried crazy tactics in terrible weather down there in the league and Kerry were flat out training through the restrictions. They had 3 months solid training done (no reporters hiding in the bushes down that way) while we only had a few weeks. Both those things combined to make us look at lot worse than we are and made them look a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Poor display by Dublin women so far, 1 point in first half. Not a great match, Donegal have a three point lead at half time.

Advertisement