Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Goodigal

Was at the game and haven't watched it back. We had them on the ropes for the last 15 mins but just couldn't get in front. A big score from Fenton was missing IMO. He normally puts one over at some stage. We looked stuck for ideas going forward and just couldn't push on. I'd really have been shocked if we had snatched it from them.

Thought the subs did well considering our bench (apart from that awful Scully effort) and the atmosphere was great. But never saw us winning it. Kerry breathed a sigh of relief after such a strong first half. Lovely Kerry supporters around us so good luck to them.

No clue where we go from here with this squad though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,209 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't figure out why Kilkenny isn't used more on the inside. He's one of the best scoring forwards in the country and can make space from nothing. Think he has been wasted* in his playmaker role for years now.

*He's extremely good at the playmaker role but he would do a lot more damage inside.

At one stage in the first half he handpassed to, and immediately received from, 5 or 6 teammates in the space of 30 seconds. As a potential opposition, I would much prefer to see him doing that rather than having to try to stop him scoring.

Thought he could have offered a focal point of attack in O'Callaghan's absence at the very least.

He let loose towards the end and showed what a clinical forward he is. He doesn't do it half enough imo.

Gavin employed him in the same role in his later years and I thought the same at the time, he was giving opponents a chance by playing Kilkenny in that playmaker role. It's hard to argue with Gavin's record though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Brian Mullins I think has been involved before quite a while back so hard to see him coming back in .It's going to be a tough enough decision about the next guy in if as seems likely a couple of lads step away we could be in for a lean spell if the current back ups are the best we have .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think people do not give enough credit to the Kerry defence. The tactic nowadays is to work the ball towards a corner. If the opposition do not commit players you have the option of scouting along the endline, how many goals did Dublin creat over the years doing that tactic. But now the team is older and Kerry got numbers to block that avenue.

You then have to work back out fast and try to create a scoring chance. But Kerry kept pressure on the Dublin shooters until towards the end. O'Bealoigh was on Kilkenny until he was moved to CB when Paul Murphy was put on Kilkenny that how he got the freedom to score. At present Kerry are missing two first choice backs in Bremen and Donoghue as well as Dylan Casey.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Watching the game from the upper deck it looked like Dublin were keeping 3 men inside close to the goals and leaving as much space outside that so they could hit kerry on the break. Was surprised with the lack of screens to buy a yard of space for some one of the 3 when it was going to be kicked in. Jayo would not have been happy with that.

I think most would agree Kerry were a bit better overall but the frustrating bit is that we had a chance to steal it at the end with the Scully possession which was wasted then let them have the short kick out to give them the chance which they took . If we had got extratime we had a chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Mullins hasn't managed at intercounty since Derry 98. He hadn't much success when managed St Vincent’s for a couple spells in recent years. Since change from u21 to u20 DCB has taken eye off the ball on future senior managers. Jim and Dessie learned their trade at u21as a stepping stone to senior role. Now u20 management teams are lads who bring development squads from u14. Not future senior management IMO.

A lot of the top clubs are bringing in ex inter county managers from down the country. Pat Gilroy and Jim Gavin won't be involved due to work commitments. Declan Darcy, Jason Sherlock and Paul Clarke are seen more as coaches than managers. Tommy Conroy is the only name can think off.

You nailed it there re Howard. He's been anonymous all year. He's wasted in that role. Someone as dynamic as the old him was needed yesterday.

That was the main beating of us. Bang of 2014 v Donegal off it.

• Advertisement

Kerry deserved the win..Can't expect to win a game when only play well for 10-15 minutes .Con physical presence was missed as Kilkenny was double marked when inside .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny thing was when O’Shea stepped up for that free. I was thinking long way out. But he is capable of hitting a ball like CluxtonSheehan.

That Dublin forward line badly needs pace. It was really noticeable that most of the Dublin pace/threat was provided by Gannon/Murchan. The younger lads but they are backs. Bugler was OK linking up on that side.

To me now, having seeing all the main Ulster sides, Connacht sides, Leinster sides and Cork all live. Would not be a surprise if Kerry get three/four in a row and my worst fears are realised! Kerry have not only a strong 15 they have a strong panel.

As well The lessons Kerry were taught in 2019 by Dublin, and Cork 2020 were well learnt. Smarter outfit now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

They haven't even won this year's yet.

Galway have excellent forwards and are a real scoring threat.

Kerry are favs but I wouldn't be ruling out Galway's chances.

Don't think Kerry are that good will be favs next day and a win could well start a run but talking about 4 in a row or something is jumping the gun a bit .Galway are not entirely without hope .

Galway haven't a hope in final. Staying within 6 points will be a positive for them. I think Limerick and Kerry will win both All Ireland handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Agreed. I said before the game, that the match could be decided by whichever teams full forward was fit to play and in the end I think its safe to say that was the case. I'm not really seeing a run of All-Irelands coming for any team at the moment, and if it does I think it will be more down to other teams falling away like Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo etc than this being a vintage Kerry side.

I would eat me Dublin hats if Galway beat Kerry.

Why? Well because the weakest part of that Galway team is the defence. Armagh showed that up in an open game. The same goal was conceded not once, not twice but three times. A simple high ball.

That is just Armagh forwards who managed that. Now think of the damage D Clifford and O’Shea will do to that Galway backline.

OK you can argue Galway kept Derry to 4 points first half. But that was because Galway did not go forward. Derry had no plan B and their one dimensional mindset played into Galway’s hands.

If Galway try that against Kerry it will not be as effective IMO. Kerry have the ability to pick off scores from distance. And if as I predict Kerry get 4/5 up then Galway will be forced to open up more playing into Kerry’s hands. Kerry by 8/9 in the end I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Advertisement

Just calling it as I see it I got the Kerry v Dublin game correct when it was implied that I was playing the cute hoor. The league form indicated it and loss of Con etc. Plus Kerry improved in defence. Did not have to up the gears against Mayo because the Mayo forwards were that bad

The Derry v Galway game I got wrong. To be honest Derry made a balls of it and made Galway look way better than they are. Rory Gallagher is not as much of a tactical genius as he was portrayed. Bit of a one trick pony.

And to be honest I think that game and the Cavan Westmeath Tailteann Cup has showed up the myth of the strength of Ulster football. The truth is in Ulster they all play the same mostly and the level of play is not as strong as they like to pretend. Westmeath beating recent Ulster champions! A team who felt that the Tailteann Cup was a bit beneath them going into it.

Being at all these games live both semi-finals, the Tailteann Cup, and all the AI QF's live has given me a good perspective of where all the teams are at. Plus I have seen all the other main teams in div1 of the league. I think there is a gap between Kerry and the rest. Dublin basically trying to hang on in Kerry's slip stream as Dublin lose legends and get older. Same thing happened Kerry but they have come full cycle now from 2015-to now. The Kerry team is ready to peak. Best panel in the country is now, Kerry as Dublin had once. A strong bench

If you look at the other contenders they all have issues. Mayo have no forwards, worst forward display I have seen in CP probably ever - against Kerry in the AISF. Armagh have discipline issues that will cost them in games as shown v Galway plus v Donegal. It is ingrained in them.

Donegal most frustrating team in the country they have the players but are held back by limited tactics, those limited tactics get teams like Monaghan/Derry to a certain point. But would they beat the likes of Kerry? Or even an aging methodical slow Dublin?

Plus Derry and Monaghan lack the subs to keep going against top sides consistently for a full game. Tyrone they won their Sam and most retired happy with it. Galway from midfield to the forwards fantastic, Comer/Walsh gets injured they are in trouble, Galway backs porus have to have whole team funnel back defensively to mask this flaw. Cork? As a Cork fella told me football is only for fellas who can't hurl. So it is likely Cork will not reach their potential even if they find good players.

So in the next four years when Rock, Cooper, Fitzsimons, Fenton, Kilkenny all have hung up their boots for Dublin, what team do you think is left to even try and put it up to Kerry? Because it is hardly going to be an Ulster or Connacht side is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Do ye expect any retirements? Mick Fitzsimmons most likely and then Johnny Cooper next.

Can't see anyone else myself.

Same craic we saw during the league with no Con - frustrating to watch. But not a surprise at this stage.

That works if you have a decent 15 who work hard. With Rock these days Dublin are playing with 14 as it is. Plus it only works if the player put in to start is the the same quality as on the bench.

James McCarthy is 32 but you wouldn't know it by the way he played the last day v Kerry. Full of energy. I assume he will hang on for another year anyway.

Rock same age, but completely different player, these days he will not have himself killed by running. I assume Rock has the Vinnie Murphy mindset of staying playing for a long as he can. That is the impression I get anyway.

Those are the only two where you can think of age wise. Unless there are a few on the edges of the 15 such as McHugh, or Basquel who feel like calling it a day.

I feel the same re. McCarthy.

Will Dean's free taking be enough to hold his spot.

Will Mannion come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I hope you are right. The longer the old lads stay there the longer the transition.

Dublin has a second issue it has a numnber of players making the team now that used to be only used as subs 2+years ago.

It much the same with Mayo. Too many lads that are too old and will not retire until they are pushed.

It the one thing Peter Keane did for Kerry. He got rid of a lot of deadwood off the team.

It's a hard decision to make. It may mean not making it out of round robin groups for a few years but that is the sacrifice you need to make.

Galway are a better team than ma y think. There HB line is there only weakness. However if Gavin White is injured the Kerry HB line will be fairly poor as well. While SoS and DC are better than Comer and Walsh I think.Galways shades it with the rest of the forwards and MF.

I agree Northern teams are not the force that many consider. Monoghan should have been relegated from D1 not Kildare. They will go down next year. Armagh is not yet the force many think it is but it is a young team. Tyrone will probably recover next year. Donegal is going nowhere at present. Derry have to prove they are the real McCoy by gaining D1 status

However I expect to see Kildare rebound. Dublin will regain D1 status next year. Derry will need to battle Kildare with Kildare to shade it. Can Meath reconfigure fast enough

Slava Ukrainii

Agree re. Galway. We really don't know their true worth given who they've faced.

Galway will need everything more or less to go for them to win a small chance but still possible .Like last year with Tyrone winning and this year a Galway win would make it more open next year .Kerry are always more likely to bag a couple when they win one.Still don't think they are that good but of course you only have to beat what's in front of you in any given match .

• Advertisement

I think Dean probably will because his frees are more than enough to get through Leinster and maybe a AIQF. It would take a brave manager to drop him. Especially as there is no obvious up and coming Dublin forward that has not already been tried, Aaron Byrne and Archer were supposed to be the next hopes.

The next Dublin manager will have to trawl through all the levels of Dublin football to see if there is a forward who has a bit about them that plays for unheralded sides. Preferably good on frees as well.

To be honest would love to see Mannion back. But I get the impression he has enough of Dublin, happy with club stuff. I feel guilty because it was not so long ago that I was saying Dublin don't need Mannion. Connolly, Brogan, McManamon are there etc. It's grand!

Advertisement