Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dessie has not shown any tactical knowhow we have beaten poor teams to reach two semi where a bit of wit could have got us over line whether deserved or not .Unfortunately there are no standout likely candidates at this stage to take over but I understood this was his final year of his term will know soon enough I suppose but the work starts soon with DSFC starting soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It was a really big factor.

Spillane and Clifford missed early in the second half coming from the right that I would put down to the wind, they really should have taken it on another bit.

Kilkenny in first half had one off the left that tailed wide caught in the wind, possibly one from Costello as well.

Dont think Kerry were ever going to run away with it, but had they converted the pen or o briens chance, they might have been a bit more comfortable at the end.

On the other hand had it gone to ET I think Dublin would have won. Clifford and a few more were out on their feet, white was gone off, and I thought Dubs had more in the tank towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You have to remember that GlasÓir has gone over to the yerra side these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Kerry were to play Dublin again I would expect them to win by 5+. Yes analysts may have said the black card was harsh...but they said it was still a black card.

Kerry had 1-2 other half chances they missed. All analyst's agreed that the penalty was on the soft side....but they also said it was a penalty and the decision was correct. It's unlikely that Kerry would not take one if not both of them chances of they got them again.

The Dublin goal. Costello was a good bit out and kicking across the goals. 2 times out of three those kicks go wide on the far side as you need to get them just inside the upright or else there is a good chance they will be saved. That was the only goal chance Dublin really got. They had a half chance in the first half but the door was shut in it.

If Kerry played that Dublin team with the same team tomorrow I would expect them to score three goals. Yes if the game went to extra time anything could happen . If it was a replay( nolonger happening) Kerry would win.

At present Kerry has tow first choice backs injured. Next year Kerry will be older and stronger. Next year Dublin will be older and slower.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Pity Dublin were missing their most dangerous forward. Possibly would have swung it Dublin's way.

If the roles were reversed and Con made it and, as rumoured in some quarters, David Clifford missed out, i think Dublin would have won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lots of ifs, and buts, in there. It was a close enjoyable game. I think the black card was fair enough but it was policed evenly. O'Shea should have gotten one for his rugby tackle on one of our lads towards to end of the game. It was a tactical foul to stop us breaking quickly but if you wrestle someone to the ground to do it then it's a textbook black card.

I think overall Kerry got a little bit more rub of the green with some of decisions. There's no guarantee that would happen everytime we played and on another day that follow through on Comerford could easily have been given as a red. Thems the breaks really but you can't categorically state that you would have a handy win the next day out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ah lad I’m a Kerry man like yourself and I’m sorry to say but that post is some load of rubbish...

Dublin were missing there best player... we had a full strength team out...

the Dublin goal was kicked from the edge of the big square... not very far out in my opinion... good finish by a player I detest...

the Kerry goal the dubs would be disappointed with the defending

the penalty while soft was a penalty... but the dubs player involved think he was no.25 kinda had turned away expecting the shot to go over the bar... it hit the post and he panicked... again I thought poor defending by him....

I thought the dubs did a few stupid things in the second half like entering the D and losing possession... never see them do it before... usually it would be recycled and hold the ball and wait for a lapse in concentration by opposition.. that didn’t happen last Sunday...

basically what I’m saying is if both teams watched a video of the match.. I think the Dubs would be fuming at the mistakes they made.... whereas apart from the poor penalty by Sean Shea and the fcuk up by David Moran (who else) that led to Dublin goal Kerry hadn’t much to be fuming about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Would you not enjoy the win ? Dublin weren't good enough on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The next manager debate is an interesting one.

i remember seeing Brian Mullins in an interview online a short while ago and was surprised by how much he had aged. 68 in a couple of months im reading …so I’d say that’s a NO, I doubt he’d be seen as a viable option given his age.

Current Dublin champions manager..Ballymun Kickham’s Brendan Hackett ? Bit of a left field candidate not being even a Dub but has close knowledge of the core of the team and from what I understand is very highly regarded as a leader and tactician and motivator..

No we had not a full strength team out. Donoghue was missing and Breen. Similar to Con they were injured all year.

The reason Dublin lost possession is our defensive system is much better than the last few years. The reason they got turned over is the team is getting old and the hunger is gone. Ya the older players died with there boots on but they were lucky it was so close.

This is exactly the same as 2011-2017 era. You had a young hungry Dublin team that finally beat us in 2011 and we failed to beat them in championship until now. The main reason is we persisted with older players too long. If we win the AI ( and Galway will be no pushover IMO) next year will be tricky. However we have not lost to Dublin since the AI final in 2019 in the league either.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He was the only other one I can think of given that there is a strong Ballymun spine in the team. But Jayus it’s a terrible state of affairs where there is no obvious candidate.

You would think Dublin supporters would rattle off two or three names.

But instead proper thought has to be put into it. And then there is question marks over the choice. It is mad really this is the Dublin football team we are talking about. Still a good few players for an incoming manger to develop a style around.

At the rate things are going it could even be a ‘foreign manager’ with no Dublin club connection. All the supporters from other counties would get a great kick out of that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I kind of agree with you... I think Kerry would win the majority of the encounters between the teams (even if we had Con, Mannion and McCaffrey). Where I maybe disagree, although correct if i'm putting words into your mouth, is I suspect we'd turn the tables if we had a Jack O'Connor in our stable. Simply put he had a plan to stop Dublin and a plan to attack. We allowed Kerry quick transition opportunities (it was even more naive than Donegal 2014) and well in attack... lets just say it was nothing like the good old days. I thought every top team had learnt not to give away cheap turnovers to the blanket defence. It's oxygen for the opposition.

I agree on the trajectories of the teams though. The lads driving it for Dublin haven't long left and once that link to the past is gone we won't be a match for a Kerry team who should improve in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I wonder will any of the recently retired players get into coaching or management? Ger Brennan was in with Carlow. I don't know of any others. It would be good to see some of those legends make their way in the management game and eventually land the biggest job in the GAA world.

The Kilkenny hurlers had quite a few go into management soon after hanging up the boots: Eddie Brennan, Mick Fennelly, Henry.

Hard to disagree if Con was playing part of the post. He transforms that Dublin forward line. Kerry are not as dependent on David Clifford as Dublin are on Con IMO.

It annoys me a bit to admit that. Back to the ‘footballers’ that Kerry produce etc

I was thinking - you would think Farrell would have some sort of Con replacement. At least a direct runner with pace. Someone like Colm Basquel and just tell him to run at the backs.

I remember he was thrown into a Boden hurling match. He is not really a hurler - they were stuck for numbers and he caused havoc with his pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

My idea was a Bryan Cullen and Philly McMahon double act. Given their professions in lifestyle and fitness.

But a poster rightly countered that it would be a big risk as they are untried in management.

Ya if your manager was better than our you would have the advantage. Most Kerry people forgave Peter Keane over 2019 and 2020. In a way we should not have forgiven him over the Cork defeat.

Last year was unforgivable, any donkey would have seen after 5-7 minutes that turnovers from carrying the ball into the tackle was killing us. Then it became psychological. A few instructions to start taking our scores where we were winning 90% of there kickouts would have changed the complexions of that match. He even had the advantage of the water break to issues instructions. A donkey in charge would have won that match....only we had the wrong donkey.

I do not think that Dessie is the problem many here make out. He no longer has the level of player and player hunger that Jim Gavin had.

Many here underestimates the Kerry defencive structure against Mayo. Kerry players are half a yard faster than Dublin at present. You look at the two players that made serious mistakes for Kerry in the match. David Moran is 34 and Stephen O'Brien is 31.

Kerry's biggest problem is we lack 1-2 athletic forwards as work horses to take some of the workload off Clifford and Sean oSe

Slava Ukrainii

David Clifford is carry an injury. He is playing at about 50-60% of his potential. Fully fit DC win win win

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I miss the Dublin thread

• Advertisement

Philly and Cullen managed nobody. If want start let them at minor or 21s.

Colm Basquel walked away from Dublin panel in February. He no interest in inter county.

Ger Brennan managed Bray Emmets and now with Sarsfields in Kildare.

Ah go easy on Peter.... I don’t know him but I’m sure he did his best.... he must be wondering why Jack has had so much luck in 1 year and he had no luck in any of years in charge.... this year Jack had no Covid to deal with.. no Tyrone to deal with.... Mayo missing 2 best forwards... Dublin missing best forward... he always had the luck as a manager... and he still has it....

donoghue hasn’t a hope of displacing Graham Sullivan a Dromid man... and Breen hasn’t a hope of displacing anyone in the hb line.... we are at full strength... any word on gavin white?

Dessie more than likely to stay. Need brought u20 from 2019 an 2020 in D2 next year. A lot of them played in OBC and league. He needs strengthen backroom team.

Alternative management would be if Declan Darcy/Jason Sherlock and Paul Clarke clubbed together. The players wanted this but Costello opted for Farrel when Jim left .

Tommy Conroy won AI club with St Vincent’s in 2014 would be another contender.

Forget likes of Jimmy McGuinness and Malachy O'Rourke. They were too older dimensional with their tactics. Brendan Hackett done nothing at intercounty to merit Dublin job.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Ah Jayus how did I miss that. Was wondering where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Any idea why that was?

I'm still struggling with the fact that Mannion is playing with Donegal Boston. Doesn't appear to have walked away to concentrate on his career.

• Advertisement

From what I heard Basquel didn't enjoy the intercounty game. His club form never translated onto Dublin at senior level. Dessie brought him on in 2020 final ahead of Costello so I say had big plans for him. Didn't work out for him last year and was taken off at half time against Offaly in first OBC game this year and never appeared again. I think the pandemic with league delayed over 2020 and short league last year reduced Dessie chances to experiment. It definitely halted players like Basquel progression.

Mannion like Jack McCaffrey was burned from intercounty football. I believe starting new job in September so probably a good chance to get away. He will be for club championship in 2 weeks.

Advertisement