Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't really think there is a gap. A 75th minute last gasp winner is all that seperated the sides. Kerry have one brilliant forward. O Se is decent but again not great from play today. Dublin will have a great chance against Kerry next year. Like they did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The biggest gap is in the standard of reffing these days. Some amount of soft frees given and black cards for fairly innocuous challenges yet proper dirty play gets a yellow at best.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I suppose we will have to wait and see if the win today kicks Kerry on and what our team will be like next year a couple of our lads have been around awhile also it looks like we may have a new manager if the talk is correct . I know our semi was close at the end and we could easily have knicked it on another day Kerry were quite near getting a decent lead on us but of course its all what if or what may after the event .Overall I think there is hope for us next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

No he wouldn't suit Dublin actually, Dublin need a manager that knows how to win an All Ireland .

We actually need a manager that knows how to use tactics and doesn't send his team out like they are playing minor football. We still have the guts of a very strong team. We have just been badly managed for two years now.

• Advertisement

Agree with above post I think our chances are less with Dessie at the healm than the rumoured Declan Darcy who surely is better on the line at least .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah O’Se did not do much from play. It annoyed me when he missed that placed ball at the start which was much handier than the one he nailed v Dublin. Plus much less pressure on it.

Why couldn’t he have missed like that v Dublin?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

There is a need to also see where Mannion and McCaffrey's head is at for next year.

I hope that if Dessie leaves and the rumour that Declan Darcy as Farrell's successor comes true, that he doesn't take Mick Bohan with him as a selector/coach.

If Colm Collins leaves as expected as Clare manager, I would hope that Bohan will go back to Clare, after a very successful 2016 where he was coach and played a big role in the Banner county winning NFL Division Three and an All Ireland quarter-final berth.

The alternatives in Clare to Colm as manager are a disaster for Clare football so I'm hoping that Mick has managerial men's inter-county ambitions and may see Clare as that opportunity for one day becoming Dublin manager, after his great work with the Dublin ladies footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Who has Darcy managed? Big difference between managing and coaching.

Issue is we have an ageing defence with Jonny, Jamsie and Mick Fitz 32+.John Small will be 30 next year. The replacements coming through at not at same calibre and we don't have a sweeper like Cian O'Sullivan to protect the FB line.

• Advertisement

I am not sure how good Darcy would be and even if he takes the job but I am sure that our current manager has under performed two years now we have beaten no one of note got relegated and lost two semi finals when a bit of composure could have got us over the line .

Dessie is certainly not Jim but Dessie inherited an ageing squad past their prime on top of losing Mannion and Jack Flash.

Yes we shouldn't be getting relegated but no new players are stepping up bar Gannon. We still over reliant on Fenton, Kilkenny, Jamsie and Con. Con missed all league and another 5/6 key players missed 3/4 games in league. There is 9/10 players around 22/23 age mark who will get game time in D2 next year.

Dessie was missing from the Dublin 1995 winning team who were paraded at Croke Park today.

Mannion and McCaffrey won't be back for Dublin regardless who is managing. Jack doesn't even play club football anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

In fairness Kerry were far better than Dublin in the semi final. Dublins big game experience is what got them close to staying the distance. Kerry have that now.

Is Bohan still helping out with Kilmurry Ibrickane? Don't think he will be involved Dublin set up next year.

If Dessie stays on I will hope he get the best out of what we have but I still feel he let two semi finals slip with poor game management at the end of the games he also would need to freshen up his coaching set up I feel but the talk at this point seems to be he is leaving will wait and see he has been involved for quite awhile now . I do feel he got the breaks to win the final he did to beat Cavan and a new enough Mayo was handy enough .Without that he would not have many supporters on his side .

Whatever about Mannion being brought back in there's literally no chance of McCaffery coming back. He doesn't even really like the game, he was just very very good at it. Plus he has a load of work and personal commitments that he has put well ahead of football and more power to him.

!00% coaching set up if Dessie needs to be looked at as is very inexperienced. Jim had Darcy, Clarke and Jayo. Current set up not at that level.

• Advertisement

Former Clare ladies football manager James Murrihy is the new manager of KIB this year. As you correctly mentioned, the previous manager Aidan "horse" Moloney had Mick in a coaching capacity in 2021, so I don't know whether Mick is with KIB again this year.

I've seen this posted a few times but it's just not true. We fought our way back in to the game very well in the second half. We did have to work harder for scores but in no way we're Kerry that much better than us. Throw Con in to the mix and it could have been the winning of that game, such are the margins between the two teams now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,416 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mick Bohan would be a good shout. He seems to be very much respected and revered by the girls…and anyone whose worked with him.

always seems like a properly intelligent and eloquent and likeable individual..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All games developed a nous of there own. Kerry were nervous in the Dublin and Galway game. Maybe Con would have benefited Dublin but it put more pressure on Kerry to win. There could be no excuse. Today the same Kerry was so nervous at the start. Stupid decision making. But they ground out the result.

Where to from here, they will develop as a team as will Galway.

Slava Ukrainii

Maybe Con makes a difference, maybe he doesn't. Take Clifford out of the Kerry team and the roles get reversed very quickly.

There are going to be some tight games over the next few years and if we get the management team right plus a player or two coming through we'll be there or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sherlock being linked to the Monaghan job. Find that strange seeing as there's rumours where going for a new manager ourselves surely if he's going into senior team management we would be looking at him.

Jayo more suited to coaching than managing. His time as Dublin minor manager in 2019 didn't go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Problem is Kerry have the better Panel.

If I could do a shopping list for Dublin -

1) At least one runner skilful type player like Con - Mannion would fit that if new management could coax him back. Two would be ideal.

2) A freetaker who is young hungry, and dangerous from play

3) Two utility type players who are not afraid to run all day and do the donkey work no matter where they are played. It is only since Shane Ryan left, I realised how much he was taken for granted. In reality those type of players are worth their weight in gold.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

They also have better tactics on the line which plays a large part in it.

1) I think getting Howard back in to the attack adds more pace and a direct runner that we've missed this past two seasons.

2) Costello can take frees and he's fairly handy at them. Rock is a bit of a passenger these days.

3) Maybe EOD was drafted in for this reason but haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make a call one way or another.

We also need to replace Mick Fitz who got a couple of roastings this year and has looked a half yard short of pace.

Advertisement