Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not many contenders to replace him. Gavin and Gilroy won't take with work commitments. Darcy, Jayo and Clarke more suited to coaching than managing. Don't see senior manager in recent u20 managements teams which worries me when Dessie goes. The golden generation minor teams of 2011&12 will be 29/30 next year. Only Con, Howard and Murchan have emerged since that team. Jamsie, Micky Fitz, Jonny and Deano will be 33+ next year. It will be a major rebuild over next couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anticidedretard

sup guys im new here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Is Dessie the right person for the rebuild though?his record over the past two seasons would suggest he's not up to the task IMO.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

This turned out to be an entertaining hour.

Unfortunately James Mc was on the bench and didn't play, Smalls and Comerford were on hols and Rock was in the hospital with his wife having a baby so congrats to them.

Enjoyed watching Davy Byrne at 6 and he put in some well timed monster hits. Philly was deployed at 14 and had a bit of a ding dong with a few lads. Nothing major until it spilled over with the sub keeper and a few slaps were thrown which resulted in a few lads being replaced.

Some Nice footballers on the Ballymun team, I liked their number 4 in particular who tackled hard and didn't give his opponent time to breathe.

With regards to the game in PP this Friday, will I need to buy a ticket or can I juat pay at the gate? And where would be best to park? If anyone could advise it would be appreciate.

Might have been Darragh Conlon no 4? Was Cameron McCormack playing? Did play Michael Deegan play with Ashbourne? I see his father managing them.

Need to purchase tickets in advance.

I would say park around near the church in Donnycarney.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/ticket-info-2022-go-ahead-dublin-championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

All Dublin club championship games in Parnell are ticket only. It's a tenner in.

I didn't get any names, other than lads I was already familiar with unfortunately.

Michael wasn't playing for Ashbourne, neither was Menton but both should be available for their championship opener this Sunday in Navan. And yes, Mick Deegan is the Ashbourne manager.

Cheers for the parking, I'll head for there.

Is Gary Sweeney playing with Ashbourne. He won 2 u21 AI with Dublin under Jim Gavin. Broke his leg and was never same player after. He transferred to Ashbourne around 2019.

Not AFAIK. But I haven't seen anything of our senior team yet this season as we've had our own training and games to play. Will take a look at the team sheet on Sunday.

1.Would be hoping someone James Doran can step up next year. Haven't produced too many super stars since Con. James Madden was decent but went to Oz to play Australian Rules.

2.Would let Con take frees if Dean not starting next year. Let Comerford take anything past 45. Fionn Murray and Ciaran Archer top classes freetakers for u20 in recent years though not sure if offer enough from play.

3.Brian Howard and Tom Lahiff are two utility players. As someone pointed Howard needs to be kept in forwards. If Eoghan O'Donnell comes on board to footballers full time he could be another utility player. Can play full/centre back/midfield and played a lot of club football at full forward.

We will have fully fit Sean MacMahon and David Byrne. Both only played a few minutes against kerry but should be vital leaders in FB line allowing Murchan and Gannon to play further up the pitch. McDaid was another loss against kerry will be missing next year as moving to Dubai.

• Advertisement

I don't see many contenders that are better than Dessie. Dublin won senior, minor and 2 u21 AI. Darcy managed Clan na Gael and didn't go well. Clarke managed Dublin for couple OBC games. Didn't have much success with Sylvesters or Margarets. Jayo and Paddy Christie both managed Dublin teams and had little success.

We won 4 u21 AI between 2010-2017 which was the platform for our senior success. Two won by Jim(2010&2012) and two by Dessie(2014&2017). Since change to u20 in 2018 we haven't won any u20 AI. We lost AI finals to Cork(2019) and Galway(2020) u20. We lost Leinster final to Offaly last year and Kildare this year so we don't have the same calibre of player coming through like the golden generation. We have lost nearly 20 players from 5 in a row squad. Dessie gave nearly 50 lads a run this year. 40 players used in OBC but Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny were the 2 players that stood out. A lot of them young lads with a good club championship will hopefully get another run next year. The transition from u20 to senior has been a struggle for us.

Nothing has gone right for Dessie and the league this year was a symbol of that. Concession of goals was a common theme. 11 conceded in 7 games. Mickey Whelan 97 and Pat Gilroy 2010 were written off so hopefully Dessie with a few amendments in backroom can come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am surprised I have not seen any comments on the Shane Walsh move to Crokes. To be honest I am a bit mixed on it and can see both sides like this article.

It would be great to see Shane Walsh in the Dublin club championship. He will draw crowds and raise standards. He won’t have the hassle of lots travelling. Walsh will get to play at a higher level competition than his home club keeping him tuned up.

But it is still taking the spot on Dublin club player and his home club Kilkerrin-Clonberne, must be sick.

I also have an issue with Walsh going to such a strong club like Crokes. Many laughed at Parnells when they went 100% the high profile ‘blow in’ route taking the soul out of their club, and the arse falling out of it.

Many I assume have the same uneasiness about Jude’s now or even Na Fianna of the 00’s.

Looking at Crokes opponents Raheny - if they had a Shane Walsh plus a few inter county blow in defenders parachuted into their side. Suddenly they would be real Dublin championship contenders.

I do half joke about Raheny all they need is a few blow in intercounty Gardai stationed at Raheny Garda station. But to Raheny’s credit they have not gone that route. Their team is still based on lads from that minor team in 2011. With Fenton, Howard and McMahon adding the spark.

I doubt Walsh will be available for the Crokes v Raheny match. But how would clubs such as Raheny feel seeing the super clubs made even stronger with high profile transfers?

Personally I think measures should be put in place to stop this craic. Such as -

1) Quotas on the number of ‘blow ins’ from outside a club- including between Dublin clubs themselves (To stop abuse of the Eamon Fennell type moves from O’Tooles to Vincent’s)

2) A draft system for such quotas- like the way American sports do it. The weaker club gets first pick of a player

3) A Ban on non-Dub players players playing for their former county - if they stay in Dublin longer than x number of years - say -3 for argument sake. It would test a players loyalty and commitment. NZ Rugby does not allow New Zealanders to play for foreign clubs and represent the All Blacks, for example.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Speaking of Transfers. I see yours still hasn't been approved to the Kerry thread

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Its an amature game. Let the guy play where he wants to play. As for the club they are in the best position to decide what is best for their club (usually).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's absolute nonsense.

You'd swear there was an epidemic of lads from outside the Pale taking up spots on Dublin club teams.

The idea that Shane Walsh has to travel home for matches while living in Dublin is preposterous. You'd swear he was Seánie Johnston.

I don't know the circumstances as to why he's going to Crokes over other teams but that's neither here nor there.

And as for "loyalty"? Who the hell are you to test someone's loyalty. The cheek.

But it is precisely because it is an amateur game that club football in Dublin should have more regulation. There is no Parrish rule lib Dublin unlike down the country.

Basically the big clubs can hoover up the top country lads. I remember the farce when the University’s were playing senior club and the country lads could play with their home as well.

Not only that the level and amount of inter county players the University’s could have got silly. Look at the load of inter county lads UCD had when they won the Dublin club 20 years ago.

UCD: G McGill; A Costelloe, C Evans, B Ó hAnnaidh; N McGuire (1-0 - own goal), D Ó hAnnaidh, R Kelly; S Lucey (0-1), C McAnallen (0-1); P Curran, R Barry, R Ronaghan (0-3, one free); J P Casey (0-4, two frees), C McManus (0-1), B McDonald (0-4). Subs: J Fallon for J P Casey, D O'Connor for Ronaghan, J Hanly (0-2) for Curran.

I remember another year UCD played Vincent’s they had John Divilly and a Westmeath intercounty fella laughing and joking and that was just on the bench! On the field they must of had at least 4/5 inter county lads including the likes of McManus from Offaly. People knew that was farcical.

Yet here we are again with Dublin club football doing its best to create another farce if Shane Walsh is allowed to move to Kilmacud Crokes. They are already strong enough as it is.

Against Raheny the last day Crokes won pulling up. And that is even with no Mannion for Crokes. Hardly breaking sweat. In contrast Fenton was missing for Raheny and Raheny were much the poorer for it.

Fenton Massive loss to the Raheny team. Yet Crokes could soon be even stronger with a forward line of Mannion and Walsh. It does not sit right with me.

Walsh’s own club kilkerrin Clonberne has played intermediate for a good few years recently. If Walsh was serious about only wanting to play football in Dublin no matter what the level, he would play for a team like Clan na Gael Fontenoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It basically sounds as if inter county transfers are only a problem when its a good player involved. If I wanted to transfer nobody would give a damn, but when its Shane Walsh all of a sudden it shouldn't be allowed.

There are lots of transfers every year, most for perfectly good reasons, most amateur players simply can't travel across the country 3/4 times a week for training and matches. The principle involved is perfectly fine and should apply equally to all players, regardless of whether they happen to be good players or not. Remember, hard cases make bad laws.

I don't know why universities are playing in the Dublin championship, that seems to be just stupid, the logical thing would be to just not do that, rather than change transfer rules for the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

UCD wern't a proper club team in the GAA sence. How many 'home grown' players did Crokes have in the All-Ireland final last year. Looks to me crokes are doing a good job of running their teams and holding onto players. If an amature player wants to play with a team he lives close to who are any of us to tell him differently, it's not as if Crokes are loaded with players they did not raise from childhood.

I see the GAA as a big family and I wouldn't turn anyone away.

It's up to us other clubs to raise the standards.

Why is it nonsense? Can you not see the dangers or unfairness of such moves? If the GAA was professional I would understand, and you would not be able to prevent player movements under free movement of workers. But Dublin GAA is amateur it has no impediment to bring in rules to probably regulate such moves. In the interests of fairness and the integrity of the competition.

You are it is not an epidemic not yet but as I referenced in my previous post it is in danger of creating another farce in Dublin football. Like when university’s played senior hoovering up inter county players. And they could still play for their home clubs.

That was bad enough now we have the Super Dublin Clubs getting stronger thanks to no regulation do you honestly think that is fair on other clubs? It is not Shane Walsh I blame but those who over see Dublin club football for having no safety nets in place which make it easy for the big clubs to cherry pick top talent.

Kilerrin-Clonberne were intermediate for many years in Galway and I believe they were recently relegated from senior again this year.

It would not be completely outlandish for Shane Walsh to have to play at a lower level than senior 1 in the Dublin championship if he really wanted football in Dublin. Let him go to a weaker club raise its profile:standard. The likes of Kilmacud Senior do not need the likes of Shane Walsh to be competitive in the club championship.

As a neutral would watching Walsh playing Senior for Crokes be good to watch? Yes in my opinion. A top tier player, high skill level.

Is such a move to an already strong team like Crokes fair? I am not so sure at all.

I think that is a naive way of looking at it to be honest. We all remember the craic Parnells GAA tried, and Cluxton ended up asking to move from the senior team. Because he wanted to play with his mates. There surely has to be some regulatory system put in place I think.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I wonder will we get any white smoke re the Dublin Hurling job. They seem to be dragging their heels about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Davy is on the way to yee. He resigned as ork ladies coach, probably could not do enough shouting and roaring

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dessie is staying for another 2 years anyway

Any word on the future of the Dublin ladies football manager, Mick Bohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Any updates or rumours on the new hurling manager? I heard it could be Joe Fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lord have mercy, another two years watching us trying to play like minors.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

We Kerry supporters - Youse must be chuffed?😉

Advertisement