Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

SHC 1 Q/F - St Vincents v Na Fianna - enjoyable hard fought match

If Shane Stapleton was reffing he would leave his cards at home, the way he commentated on the game!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah agreed it was a great game, Na Fianna should have been out of sight, they had some amount of misses....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

RIP Brian Mullins. A giant of Dublin GAA and Gaelic football.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Desperately sad news fellow Dublin gaels. RIP Brian Mullins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A real giant of the game for many a year, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Rip Brian , a massive player for Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The oul lad just text me there about his passing. No age.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

My lord. RIP. Knew he's late brother Sean well here in Laois.

He was one man you wanted on your side. Great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

That's a shock to hear the news one of our real greats very lucky to have seen him play condolences to his family RIP Brian and thank you for the wonderful memories I have of you playing .

Ah Jayus, that is terrible news about Mullins, always admired the fella not just as a footballer but his mindset, straight talking no messing, hard worker. And the way he came back after that car crash and stayed at it. Sums him up.

• Advertisement

Shocking stuff. After Heffo i'd make Brian the next real hero and driving force in turning our city and county into a Gaelic football stronghold and superpower. The man was unstoppable on his day and a true force of nature. Never knew when he was beaten. One of our toughest ever players. Thanks for the memories Brian. Some loss all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Desperately sad news.

A true legend who was never beaten.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Desperately sad.

Not a Dublin man, but I know how much of a legend he was and an icon from his era. He played football with my uncle for UCD, and I would have been involved in GAA under him and the legend Davy Billings during my time there too. Had an aura about him.

If I recall, a few people here were mooting him as a stop-gap replacement for Farrell, so I presume he wasn't sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

I'd still have Mullins and Jack O Shea in midfield in the all time greatest team The sheer drive of the man was incredible. A great great footballer.

And I think in 1985, as part of Live Aid, he donated his All Ireland medals to raise funds.

Even if St Peter was a Kerryman, that should get him through the celestial turnstiles with a flourish.

Rest in peace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good few years back, I ran into Mullins at a house party. He'd cracked out a guitar, was belting through a few songs, and in my state of inebriation, I asked him to play a song. He shot me a look of utter disdain with such force that it actually sobered me up enough to realise what I had just done. I'd just asked him to play the exact song that he had just finished playing. I was morto, realised that my night was done and left.

Still crack up about it every once in a while.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

That was before we knew he was sick, I was told then he 'wasn't well'. Taken far too soon anyway.

Always seems incongruent, that such a fella who was so strong and into fitness etc, goes early. There is a real unfairness to it, he used to be cycling around UCD when he worked there for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think he cycled from the Northside to UCD everyday.

You just reminded me of one I always remember of him, on the 'Underdogs' programme, as manager/selector.

Tells the young lad 'you are off the team for this week'. Young lad looking up at him, as Mullins towered over him 'You could have told me in nicer way.'

Mullins - 'Is it a hug you want?'

--

He didn't stand on ceremony anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

68 according to RTE. A huge personality on and off the pitch. One of those true rampaging midfielders.

May he rest in peace

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I knew Brian well through work and he was an absolute gent, softly spoken, open and honest. As a Dub of a certain age the first time I met him I was in awe. Always a pleasure to deal with him. I used to marvel at the size and state of his hands - they were like shovels and beaten up from years of hard playing. He went from fit and healthy to very sick so quickly, RIP.

Just in general Eoghan O’Donnell was on there the last day doing analysis for Crokes v Boden hurling SF.

He is a very impressive young fella really clued in, confident. Did analysis like he plays no fuss thoughtful calm. I was thinking defo future Dublin hurling manager in the decades to come?

They were on about it there on Dubs TV has there ever been the same pairing in Dublin senior hurling and football the same year?

Maybe some stats head knows? If it hasn't happened before it will make a great question in the pub quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes i believe it is the first time the same two clubs in both finals.

Should be two good games. Hard to call but i have a small fancy for Crokes in the football and Na Fianna in the hurling. Be very tough on either if they were to lose both. The Dublin football final is on TG4 tomorrow after the Kilkenny hurling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Whatever else, this is a huge match in Glasnevin, much bigger than any all ireland final. Am sure Kilmacud the same.

I think the hurling will be a closer call than the football looking forwards to both though, as a neutral.

In the football Na Fianna can’t let Crokes settle or they will just pop the ball around if given time. Craig Dias sums Crokes up in my opinion rarely plays the wrong pass always ready with the head up.

By the way fair play to Barrog winning the intermediate, deserved to go up as champs after a few near misses/hard luck stories.

I assume Vinnies will beat Slyvesters in the senior 2? That is on Dubstv.

You did well to root that out of the archives. Interesting.

• Advertisement

I can't take any of the credit Oisin Langan said it there on DubsTV during the senior 2 match - which is a tense one.

Advertisement