Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's a huge untapped potential just going to waste.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I'm not sure what can be done about it though. The inner city will all put up the bunting for the big Dublin games, pub murals on the walls and all the inner city folk, young and old, will take pride in seeing the Dubs win. There is just no culture of men playing for the Dublin senior team. I doubt there's many young men from the inner city playing under age for the Dubs either but i can't say for sure. Maybe there is change happening in that regard.

I said in previous post Ger Brennan is last player to play who was born between the canals. What i meant to say is he was the first player in decades to play for the Dubs who was from the inner city.

It would be great to get a Kelly Harrington/Wes Hoolahan like local hero from Sheriff St area to play for the Dubs to show it can be done and give young kids a believable dream to aspire to.

Not sure we will ever see it happening, though, and it is a shame really that the area closest to Croke Park contributes so little to our county.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Is Lorcan O'Dell from the canals?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

The Inner City folk have been treated disgracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Now I think he lives in Terenure. His father might be from Dublin 8 as played with Synge Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lorcan moved into Butterfield, Rathfarnham a while back, but is firmly a TSS player. His teammate Niall Scully was born and bred in Ballyboden, but his dad was a TSS man and that’s where he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You reminded me there what an auld inner city Dublin fella (into his boxing) said to me about the Dublin team back in the 1990's. 'Sure they're not Dubs, they are all doctors, and solicitors, and all'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ger Brennan lives across from the Auld Triangle pub. His brother used to play football with Rosmini Gaels who are from down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don’t agree with a new jersey coming out. Last thing families need for families having to worry about. Could have held off a year. How old is the old one? Thankfully they didn’t put that new style crest on it as that one looks awful and remind me of an old school crest that your mother would sow onto your jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They're released every 2 years, same as most other counties. Last jersey was released Oct 2020.

Anyway I like it lot more than the last jersey, would prefer it without the stripes on the side though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good news about Pat Gilroy back in the fold definitely the backroom needed upgrading from the last year or so .Seems to be a done deal .

Jonny Cooper on twitter calling it a day great servent to Dublin wish him well .

Sorry to see him go, albeit not hugely surprised as he’s worked so hard to get this far given his injuries. Does the statement indicate he’s packing in club too?

A legend in Dublin GAA. Tenacious, calm in managing games, would do a job on anyone. Annoyed a lot of the right people, especially certain journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

A great servant

He had a lot of injuries the last couple of years.

Sad to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For some reason the match I remember Jonny Cooper for is a league final v Derry. Mark Lynch was flying going into the final for Derry. And I was thinking we will be grand Cooper will mark him out of it - and he did no bother.

I looked it up there, Cooper kept Mark Lynch to 2 points. And Cooper got a point as well. It doesn't say that Cooper got a yellow as well. But I am assuming that!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Much like some of the other 'man markers' that played alongside him (Brennan, McMahon) what impressed me most about Cooper was his ability to actually play football. As good and as clever as any centre forward on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'll remember him as a very tenacious hard working player. This time next year we will be saying the same about McCarthy and Mick Fitz.

Well that was a dour performance in truly awful conditions tonight. Very few highlights from that game and some really poor performances to boot.

Disappointing not to see any standouts but maybe if a couple played in a stronger team with a bit of experience they might be better . The league games will give an indication of the next in line .

Ah yeah, it was very weak team on paper but even at that we didn't play to the conditions and worse of all we were out fought for most of the game.

• Advertisement

No doubt we were poor and that is disappointing would really have hoped a couple if not a few would have stepped up from u20 teams the last few years .I will wait and see in the league as to the standard of lads in or around the team .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ladies are bossing things Vs Meath. As often happens Dubs are fighting a determined Meath team AND an awful awful referee. One of the Meath players, runs purposely at the Dublin defence, slips on the wet surface, loses her footing and collides head on into one of the Dublin backs while on her knees, the Dublin player is absolutely standing stationary…… Meath girl gets awarded a free, Dublin player gets a yellow card and the is point taken. Just embarrassing from the ref.

1-05 vs 0-3 at half time, somewhat flattering Meath…

umpire subsequently wides a point that’s a meter inside the post… overruled by the ref and other umpire who is far less well positioned. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Looking for some help lads. Trying to purchase 2 adult tickets and 2 kids tickets for Kildare match through Ticketmaster and apparently all that's on offer is standing on the hill and the match is being flagged as 'low availability??

Are Ticketmaster taking the p1ss?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ticketmaster are always taking the piss, but perhaps not in this case. They only get a certain number of tickets, and are probably stuck selling what they got. Try Supervalu, you might get better seats there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will we see McCaffrey and Mannion provided there is no club final replay start on Saturday. They need game time at Inter County level anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Any Parnell Pass holders having issues adding tickets to Apple wallet? Site seems to freeze for me when I press the button so wondering is it my phone or a general issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone any clue how to buy 1 kids ticket for HQ on Saturday, add to season tickets ( or not )

I say McCaffrey will see some action Saturday. . He hasn't played much with Clontarf in last 3 years with injury, work commitments and travelling so wouldn't be rushing to start him.

Mannion probably won't be seen for a few weeks. Only trained half a hour in last 4 months and it showed last Sunday against Glen.

Post edited by Gael85 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Old men in a GAA sense.

Could they just be Great White hopes in a boxing parlance

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement