Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

How has he missed that?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

Moving it quicker is paying dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

The steps one is one that really bugs me in general too. So easy to enforce and never is. I gave up expecting it to be called a long time ago cos refs don't seem to have any interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How are Dublin 8 points up here! Feels like they have been poor. I’m even less confident about this summer after this!!

We've strangled Derry's attack with some fantastic defending this half. They haven't had a second on the ball without being tackled or hassled.

Attack is still a bit ponderous, Kilkenny's form is a worry, Bugler wouldn't hit snow of a rope, O'Dell is a bit meh. We look better going direct and using Con as the focal point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Nice comeback by Dublin, great to see them hit the net too. Still loads of work to do but a good win none the less.

Looking at the Dubs going off near me, you can wouldnt know they won

edit: James McCarthy gets nice ovation going off on his own, Dessie gets nothing as he’s last out!!!

Dubs watching the league 1 final pitch side just below me:

Edit: they’ve been moved to just up from me!!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

What was the attendance today? Is there a reliable source where one can check?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Very happy with that second half we work really hard broke down so much of there attack. 4 goals in second half is crazy considering we couldn't manage one in all games before. Con had great game James is an animal Jesus I wish guy wad 25 even now he has some engine.

There's always a performance in that team just no consistency not often enough.

Can't wait for all Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,414 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i wonder was the goal getting tactic predetermined ? Was there a weakness identified in the Derry fullback line ? To be honest Dublin probably missed couple of other goal chances too.

a fairly low number of scores by both sides given the conditions, dry, reasonably mild and only a moderate breeze.

only 21 scores between both teams.

Just over 45000, I remember cause I guessed there was 40-45k

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My reaction to that Derry game is two major things changed it in Dublin’s favour. The injury to Conor Glass and the goal Con flicked in from that Fenton punt.

Maybe Farrell is a lucky general and sometimes it is better to be lucky than good? But if I was from Derry would feel hard done by today. I honestly thought Dublin were very unconvincing.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

O Gara won't be happy you trying to take his nicely finished goal off him gorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

They where very good in that second half from defense to attack. The game swung in certain direction we never looked like losing. First half all that was setting us back was poor kicking. We had this 2 point gap which seemed to match the fact we missed two handy scores early in game.

Derry are gone team well organized but the game up north we dominated them in first half fell off in second half today we where very close half time then pushed them and made them force errors in second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya when Glass got injured I taught a few Derry's heads went down.

For the goal Con came into the square legally but I think it was Manion looks like he was in before the ball was played. Derry just collapsed after that. But even before in the first half they tried to kick goals when the goal mouth was congested. They should have popped the ball over the bar.

While Derry play a sort of blanket defence most D1 teams would score 10+ points against them. 4-06 in theory looks great on paper. But if you can only score 6 points against Derry the way they played today raises as many questions as it answers

Rock injury rises a question regarding older players and injury risk. If they do not top there group in the round robin they will have four matches with one weekend in between for a rest

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Always nice to win first half pretty poor overall second much better the low points tally would be something to look at of course at times still not taking points when we attacked just played the ball around like previous games .Derry are clearly a limited side and would not expect them to make much impact especially in a wide open place like today also thought they tired in the second half .

Good points. Plus the Rock injury raises worries about freetaking. Remember Con’s effort of a free ?

Jayus I thought it was Con. I will be barred next. What did you make of it all anyway with yer Kerry hat on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement

1st half went as expected, derry keeping it tight and keeping dubs chances to the minimum. The amount of goals in 2nd half was a surprise tbf but I expected Dublin to win. Think Glass having to go off injured knocked the stuffing out of Derry and 2 goals in a matter of minutes so soon after him going off finished the game. Any time Derry got a sniff, dubs defence was outstanding. They were clinical when it mattered too.

I did hate how every time Derry turned the ball over, they went backwards and just allowed dubs to reset at their ease, they'll go nowhere with that system long term. Contrast to Mayo who break at speed in big numbers soon as they turn it over.

Think this year is the most open we've had for a very long time. After dubs period of success and everyone and their dog expecting kerry to win last year after a few near misses, this year has a lot of teams genuinely in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah good wasn't it. Derry weren't impotent in attack either. Their movement of the ball between players was excellent and they were doing it at pace but we adjusted every time to deny them opportunities.

This is what it hinges on for me because i think we have enough talent up front to make it work. Full team and with everyone sharp that is.

Wouldn't agree that they were hard done by today at all. We put in a very good defensive shift in the second half and shut them down.

Our points tally was disappointing but some of the misses were criminal in nature. Bugler in particular had some awful wides today but he wasn't alone.

Today is another example of not being able to put a full performance in for the entire 70. We blow hot and cold and we'll be punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I thought Dublin played down the middle a lot more than usual. Less of the ball out to the flanks and moving it left and right. Instead there were a number of passages of play where there were 10 or 12 handpasses and runners down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why did the DCB give up home advantage for 2 hurling matches in the Championship. Not only will it benefit Wexford and Galway playing in Croker but also the atmosphere won't be as good as it would be in a nearly packed Parnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because they couldn't give a **** about hurling I'd imagine

Con and O'Gara definitely allowed us to play more central. Made a nice change from lads running into the corner and having to recycle all the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Updated Dublin League Stats for 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Team for Sunday.

Advertisement