Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin so bloody slow..what is it with the up and down displays? I know opposition is a factor but this is terrible. Arguably Dublin's first choice 15 on the pitch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I understand why teams do it, it is a good equaliser for a poorer team, just think it’s sh*t to watch.

That said, I’d agree that it’s up to Dublin to play much better, Kildare worth their lead here.

This game reminds me of Clare in the league. Dublin didn’t kick in till about 50th minute, hopefully same happens here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Quick direct ball works well too especially with the mark.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

😂

Do ya think this performance will be enough for the DCB to dump Dessie? How long is his current contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin got out of jail there, Kildare will be kicking themselves. On that performance they'll struggle against Louth but more worrying they'll struggle against the better teams to come.

And I thought Dublin would be struggling to win Leinster in two/three years. It is happening already. And it will only get worse needs new management for a start I think.

I was only wondering before the game about Dessie. Not convinced to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would be very surprised if Dessie is still in charge next year .Just out from the game we were awful and league performances seem to be our level Louth will be well up for it so major improvement needed .So many things wrong today players were just not up to it taking nothing from a well set up Kildare team but Dessie should have us in better shape for today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Complacency could have been a factor. Some players probably felt they just needed to turn up.

Could have been a factor of course and I know it's difficult to rid it and come out in the second half and perform better.That being said the performance was indeed really poor and we will be well beaten by a better team later on unless we up it several levels .Anyhow on to Louth in two weeks and they should be well set up by Mickey .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

It's very possible the team are finding it hard to get up for Leinster championship matches. Going for 14 in a row is it? Played in front of increasingly smaller crowds as a lot of Dubs fans dont bother with Leinster matches anymore. It would be hard esp the older more experienced lads to keep having the hunger for these games.

But we saw last year when we played the old enemy Kerry it got the juices flowing and the lads played well and all the fans were out for that game.

I'm hoping that will happen again this summer. The bigger games against better opposition will concentrate the minds and we will see the best of ourselves then.

Whether that's good enough to win the All Ireland remains to be seen.

The glory days from 2011 - 2020 probably won't be repeated in our lifetimes.

Think about it though how did Dublin do in div1 2022? Dublin lost games they shouldn't have.

How did Dublin do in div 2 2023? Struggled v Clare - Barely beat Kildare, Struggled v Cork - Lost once to Derry - and in the league final Dublin can count themselves fortunate that Derry's talisman Glass got injured.

It is not just Leinster matches this Dublin side has been all over the shop for a few years.

That's all true but we raised it v Kerry last summer and with Con we may have won. We are a good bit off from our peak. No denying that but i think we still could win the All Ireland. Probably need a bit of luck too.

Kerry have been poor this league. They're not setting the world alight. They can be beaten. Especially if they lost a Clifford or O Se to injury.

Galway look good i think they are our biggest threat. I think they are ready to win the All Ireland.

Mayo, Derry and Armagh are good but could we beat them? Yes i feel.

But you have to account for fear factor that Dublin still had over Kerry before that semi final. That won’t be an issue for them this year and Dublin don’t look better then we did last year, that’s for sure.

As I said I felt that game today was like the Clare league game for long stretches were Dublin just weren’t right until about the 50th minute and looked like they might lose the game!

It really felt like today was more Kildare missed a chance rather then Dublin put them to the sword with more quality.

There was alot of messy unforced errors by both teams. It actually felt like 2 division 2 teams playing each other.

Maybe i'm clinging to the hope that there will be one last hurrah for the few older lads to win one last All Ireland. A bit like the great Kerry team who won 78-81 then lost the five in a row final in 82 to Offaly and a Munster final in 83 to Cork. Some said they were finished but they came back and won in 84-86. I'm sure the likes of McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny, Small, Cluxton, McCaffrey, Rock, D Byrne,Fitzimmons and Costelloe are desperate for one last All Ireland and will do everything to get there. If they dont win it this year i fear we'll see another few gone and it will be harder again next year to reach the summit. But none of us have a crystal ball we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe they click together at the right time. Gilroy being involved gives me a bit of hope. The last sting of a quality team past its best is definitely possible, I entirely agree. I just haven’t seen anything that would have me bet on it.

I agree with the point @Drumpot made about the fear factor Dublin had over Kerry. Kerry were edgy because of it, plus that team had not gone over the line before. Similar to the Dubs in 2011.

And I agree with @YabaDabaDooley that Galway look like a major threat well rounded team - I would actually have them as favourites to be honest - they just have that bit about them.

But if you reverse the question do the main contenders see the Dubs as threat? I think most of the big guns or teams that feel they have a chance would fancy themselves against Dublin now.

To have the hope you have - I'd need to see two/three new young lads that the crowd get excited when they get the ball. Brave fellas who demand the ball and take opponents on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Anyone have an opinion on Cluxton's return, I thought he was badly missed since his "retirement"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,414 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cluxton…He is a big personality, intelligent, well respected, exceptionally motivated, a selfless, very good dude and footballer but one who is 42 at his next birthday…. So hmmmm

Comerford is 25, no longer young and inexperienced… David O’Hanlon and Hugh O’Sullivan are inexperienced but rated I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It not just Cluxton, you have McCaffrey and Mannion trying to get back up to championship pace as well. Ciaran Whelan said on the Sunday game there seemed to be a push by the players for one last AI.

The problem is what long term issues this will bring. If the win I presume that Cluxton, McCarthy, Fitzsimmons, Rock will retire will Mannion and McCaffrey also go back into retirement. The real risk for Dublin is that Small Kilkenny and Fenton will decide to go as well.

What is happening could decimate Dublin Football panel and leave a few players like Howard, Murchan and O'Callaghan being only really there for the long-term transition.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Love Cluxton

Find the return very strange, think O Hanlon has been very good this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn't be surprised if O'Hanlon plays the rest of our championship games and Cluxton was just given the Kildare game to give him the time in case he's needed due to injury later on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought cluxton was very solid yesterday and the wise head on him could tell at times.

Howard didn’t get any time yesterday or did I miss him coming on? Rock really hanging on the panel I feel.

It seemed a few times players would stop their run and turn before trying to take a point and most times ended up in a worse position and unable take it. A few pop shots that wouldn’t have happened under Gavin. Fenton had as bad as day he probably ever hard.

No idea what Ryan was on about yesterday. I guess it’s easier to blame someone else than his own faults and backroom team.

''I doubt it'' says Croker

Highly unlikely that this is the scenario. O'Hanlon might get the consultation of being allowed in goals for the Leinster final ( Dublin will beat Louth handy) or if Westmeath or Sligo are in there group games maybe that game. However I expect Cluxton to start from now on as he gives them the comfort of not having to have to Rock the field to take long distance frees

Slava Ukrainii

''No idea what Ryan was on about yesterday. I guess it’s easier to blame someone else than his own faults and backroom team.''

Well you might not but Ciaran Whelan dose

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0430/1380051-whelan-concurs-with-ryan-on-dublins-home-comforts/

Slava Ukrainii

I read Glenn Ryan's complaints today and have no issue with a lot of what he said. First up no game should be delayed because another game has gone to extra time. The players are finely tuned to start at the alloted time of 16.00 so being told its delayed for 30 mins (and possibly longer if Louth v Offaly went to penalties) must be a bit of a pain. Why not start first game at 13.30 and the later game at 16.15 to allow for a draw.

On Dublin having an advantage playing so many games in Croke Park of course we do. Such a poor crowd yesterday for a double header with us up against our 2nd biggest Leinster rivals shows that most Dublin fans and oppositions fans have lost interest in going to Leinster games. I can't see that changing for the foreseeable. Perhaps it would have been better atmosphere playing the game in Navan and Offaly v Louth in Parnell Park.

Some of the other stuff about officials being harder on Kildare than Dublin i can't comment on as wasn't there.

• Advertisement

Maybe they try and keep the games near to each other in the mistaken belief that most will stay for the second game .That never happens to any degree.Glen Ryan was obviously disappointed and the frustration got the better of him straight after a game things get said .Rubbish about dressing rooms and people on the sideline was just nonsense.

Advertisement