Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can you honestly think of Dub that is a shoe in for the next Dublin manager? I can't. There is no one in the wings ready and waiting with suitable experience for a tough job.

Jayo in the future maybe?? But is he ready now?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

No i can't name anyone. But i'm sure the county board and powers that be in our county have a contingency plan and have someone in mind. I put my faith in them and would be shocked if they didn't go from within the county.

That has been discussed on another dedicated thread. But HQ had to bail out Cork GAA and build PUC. In Dublin the economies of scale are vastly different to places outside Dublin. The price of land alone for the planned Spawell training development( that had to be quashed) was more than the equivalent that Tyrone spent on their completed centre of excellent approx 7m euros.

So a new stadium for Dublin that is purpose built is just not financially viable nor sensible for the DCB. Especially when neutral CP happens to be in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would be a waste of money and there is no need at this stage unless it was a shared ground I had thought Leinster rugby might be an option but they are too big now .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sure the hurlers don't select a manager within the county.

• Advertisement

Kerry have never went outside the county for a football manager but regularly do for hurling. Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny never go outside for their hurling teams. We should be the same in football. There is enough knowledge, expertise and history of success in the county why would we want or need to go looking elsewhere?

Because history of success does not mean there is always a good manager available. Sure at that rate you'd walk into any club in Dublin and give the job to a fella who talks a good game. The way I see it Mickey Harte has a wealth of football managerial experience and he would put a bit of smacht on the Dubs. It is what they need. Harte good have younger future dublin managers as selectors and they could learn off him,

I find it crazy that Harte is in Louth and no bigger county went for him. And if he is willing to travel to Louth - Dublin is not much further.

I get the notion that Dublin are a big county and 'should' have a Dub manager. But that is only pride and notions. Sometimes the cycle of management development means there is not a Dub ready.

Plus Tommy Lyons wasn't a Dub and he ended Dublin's Leinster famine in the 00's, built up the hype. And ironically I think it was his own hype that ended it for him in the end. He didn't even have a Dublin accent and his favourite phrase was 'that's arseboxing' when he didn't like the line of questioning from the media.

Then there is another Dub manager from the 90's who won a league - Gerry McCaul born in Monaghan

And Tommy Carr was 'lucky not to born in Tipp. His sisters were though. His brother hurled for Tipp.

So where is this oh we can't have a non-Dub managing the footballers coming from? There is already precedent of non-Dubs managing the Dubs. And Dubs that were damn near culchies only for their auld ones moved in time.

It will be a Dub managing us next of that i'd be sure. I'd say if you did a poll of Dublin fans and asked would they want one of our own or an outside manager you'd get a very high percentage for the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Gaa dont just hand you money and off you go. Counties have to raise money and also get loan from GAA that has to be paid back. Some counties are crippled with debt paying back loans to upgrade stadium. This is money that could be used for development but instead services loans. Dublin GAA dont have that issue ? means another development centre ?

Was Tommy Lyons living in Dublin when he got the job. What about Gerry McCaul? If so for how long? Were they here for years? Do they still live here? Tommy Carr grew up in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Doesn’t matter now you are making caveats. Non Dub managers have already happened.

Tommy was actually born in Dublin but was as good as a Tipp man. There was a story Tommy told he was thinking of joining Vinnies. A fella told him in conversation not sure they would like ‘your kind’. Assumed he was a culchie.

It is ridiculous to stop a good manager like Mickey Harte from managing Dublin.

How many non Dubs founded Dublin clubs and coach big Dublin clubs?

It is an antiquated view that a Dub football manager has to be a Dub. Instead If the fella is quality get him in.

Lots of Dublin clubs founded and run by men born outside Dublin but my point is they relocated to live here and spent the rest of their lives here. I've no issue with that. That's always been the way. They immerse themselves in our clubs. A lot of them see themselves as half Dubs. What you are asking for is an outside manager from another county with no ties or connections to Dublin. Big difference. I wouldn't want that and i dont think many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Wasn't Paul Clarke filling in as manager for some early-season games during Jim Gavin's time? Looked like he was being lined up as the next manager, where did he end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

There are plenty of former players who could be considered but they don't have the experience of managing at a top level. I'm thinking of Whelo, Jayo, Paddy Christie, Paul Curran. Has John O'Leary managed at club level? I know his child needs full time care so perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭eire4

Of course I don't expect the GAA to just hand over money nor do I expect the GAA, the Dublin GAA or anybody else in the county to seriously suggest the building of a new stadium in the county purely for the use of Dublin GAA. Not going to happen. I was just putting out there the fact that Dublin GAA with the crowds we bring in our the course of each year are commercially the biggest ticket and draw in the association and thus we help put money in the pockets of all the other counties. Yet we have plenty of people crying a river over Dublin playing in Croke Park so often as being unfair. Although it was not an issue from 1980-2010 as IMHO the real issue is jealousy of Dublin's success. But hey if playing in Croke Park is suddenly such an advantage to Dublin even though for the 30 years prior it wasn't then the other counties can find a way to pay for a new Dublin stadium that is fit for purpose that can be built for Dublin. We both know that is not going to happen though so the crying and jealousy will continue.

Why are you expecting other counties to foot the bill for a new stadium ? Are dublin paying for kildares or Corks? They got loans from GAA and now pay back with interest which cripples them for future development of facilities such as new centres of excellence etc. Population wise dublin do indeed have the most supporters but its a long time since they filled croke park so you can hardly call them cash cows for GAA. GAA has moved on since the 80's, back then teams would be as likely to be in the pub as they were on a training field. Now its about avocado ice cream and protein shakes and while it is recognised and a proven fact that home advantage gives you a scoring difference in every sport it somehow is not acknowledged with dublin GAA ?

All id say is if you spoke to someone who does not know anything about GAA and say following what do you think they say ? They probably would say dice was slightly loaded. Might come off as whinging/sour grapes but still facts.

Most well funded team

Biggest playing population and pick

No debt as do not have to develop stadium unlike other counties

Gaa Funding goes straight into new facilities and players

Play all Championship games and finals in Croke Park ( Unofficial home)

No travelling fees to talk about

Treated as home team in croke park ( based on alphabet but somehow even against armagh ) Hardly fair if you play all games in croke park anyway.

Get 2 Games at unofficial home during super 8s or all ireland new format

Dont get me wrong if i was dublin i would be happy enough for it to continue also :)

I am not expecting other counties to fund a new stadium for Dublin. I am saying that if the counties and people who are crying about Dublin having home advantage with Croke Park want that taken away then lets have Dublin have a fit for purpose home stadium built with a say 40,000 or thereabouts capacity. Now that will require funding from the GAA substantial funding from out of the GAA's budget sure it would be a loan but it would mean money not been there for other counties/projects. Dublin are by far the associations biggest financial draw so the revenue Dublin games in Croke Park brings in every season is a factor in funding the association. So if Dublin do not get a new stadium and are forced to play home games in Parnell Park that is a heck of a lot of revenue the GAA and thus other counties lose.

Thats the bottom line people who cry about Dublin having home advantage need to support Dublin getting our own viable 40,000 or thereabouts capacity stadium then there will be no more home advantage. Stop complaining or get on board with the solution which is a fit for purpose home ground for Dublin GAA. Maybe its too late for a combination with Leinster but either way complaining about Dublin playing in Croke Park as being an advantage is not ok unless your supporting us getting our own viable home ground instead to play.

Good question he just seemed to vanish. Always thought he had managers head on him. Spoke well at the media stuff, understands the game, plus took no messing.

From reading an article from an article at the time. It seems family and work commitments were the reason Clarke stepped away.

@YabaDabaDooley would ya accept Brian Talty as Dublin manager as a matter of interest? A blow in who integrated, coaching experience at intercounty level. It ticks your caveats.

I was listening to Brian talk to Dub GAA journalist Declan Drake on Saturday morning about all things Dub GAA. He comes on every now and then for a chat. He's done a lot for Dublin GAA, lived here a long time, i would have no problem with that he's an honourary Dub that knows the county inside out.

I think you will find it hard to find someone outside dublin that will have an issue with dublin building their own stadium and releasing croke park. While it may hit GAA funds initially it will eventually mean more money as interest aint cheap. While i do admire what dublin gaa has done what has all the money they generate done for the games, they have decimated the leinster championship and giving those counties extra money to come play in croke park is definitely not helping them in the longrun.

Could you please link any links where a senior dublin gaa person or player has called for a new stadium ? It seems to me they are happy with current solution

• Advertisement

Back as far as 2012 new Dublin stadium talk

'The issue of a stadium is still on the agenda but it isn’t something that is going to happen at the moment," said Duffy. "There is a general recognition that we need a stadium of around 20-25,000 capacity in that Meath/Kildare/Dublin area but at the moment it is not realistic. Funding is the issue," he confirmed.'

Spawell complex and Dublin GAA

2015 Colm O'Rourke was saying the whole of the GAA should be talking up 'Dublin's cause'

2017 talk of Dublin buying the land for 9m

https://www.echo.ie/dublin-gaa-set-to-buy-spawell-complex-according-to-reports/

2017 -25,000 seater stadium talk

2017 Liam Rushe (Dublin Hurler) said he would prefer 'centre of excellence' instead of 25k stadium

(Antony Daly used to be laughing that them travelling all over the place to train)

2017 Dublin Chairman Shanley shelves Stadium plans in favour of Centre of Excellence

2019 Dublin GAA sell the Spawell

https://www.echo.ie/gaa-to-sell-nine-acres-in-spawell/

2022 Dublin GAA to build 'centre of excellence' former Holystown Golf Club on Ratoath Road

--

25k stadium is no longer a priority - creating a centre of excellence and training base is much more of a concern now.

Im not sure if you are helping my argument or not but yeah priorities have clearly changed . No plans to build a home , they will just build a swimming pool for the free house instead.

Id take the free house too in fairness

I am merely pointing out when I see the latest bout of crying over Dublin having an advantage playing in Croke Park there is never a valid alternative put forth at the same time its just crying and complaining only. The obvious one is a new county stadium for Dublin. It's not going to happen any time soon though in reality although maybe a trick was missed by not getting into talks with Leinster and pooling resources which is a pity but thats another topic.

I am personally not aware of any Dublin GAA people or players calling for a new county stadium for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yeah , could you imagine Kerry Gaa not whinging .....oh wait

A partnership with Leinster rugby was proberly a possible option but they don't need to now with the growth of rugby and having their grounds they need.

My favourite Kerry one was when Jack O'Connor said 'the rain suited Dublin' ....after the Kerry seniors lost, 2015.

And it was even funnier because at the time he was managing the minors - yet he was getting his whinge in about the seniors.

--

And there I was thinking of my 1st year Geography rain predominately from the west relief rain over mountains etc.

Unless the weather is like California since then - in the Kingdom of Kerry?

Yes sadly the ship has already sailed most likely on that opportunity. A real shame.

Heading in on Sunday first time in a long time some questions seem to be around about a match in leinster. With a handier group for the winners really want us to step up big time from the last day obviously .We need to up the intensity and get a decent lead if it ends up slow and just side to side it could end up a bit too close for comfort like the last day .Mickey Harte we all know is a battle hardened campaigner and will have taken a bit of encouragement from our last match .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, this has all the making of a banana skin, Louth can be good at times. Definitely had problems breaking the defence down the last day, and that's Harte's bread and butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Team for Sunday.

Advertisement