Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Why dont you take that badly needed visit to Specsavers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Any day we beat a Mickey Harte team is a good day. Any day we hammer a Mickey Harte team is a great day.

Ref was awful again. Three frees for Dublin in the second half, I counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Anyone listen to Pillar Caffrey on Off The Ball Saturday Panel? He was talking about letters he used receive from people before and after big championship games. Some were vile as one would expect but he said he used to get correspondence from one man in particular who was a retired garda from the Bridewell (he named him he's now passed) who would write detailed reports maybe four A4 sheets full with diagrams and tactical advice which Pillar said he read in full and actually looked forward to getting them in the end. I'm not sure what to make of it but somehow doubt Jim Gavin would have been sitting up late at night dissecting a fans tactical advice looking for inspiration.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With the internet now, they'd be getting a firehose of the stuff, there'd be no sorting the wheat from the totally batshit insane chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm fairly sure Pillar didn't have access to gps monitoring and the level of video analysis available now either.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Who knows lads maybe gorm can send in five or six A4 pages full of diagrams, tactics and goodwill message to Dessie. It could be the tiny percentage we need to tip the scales in our favour and bring Sam home 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

I say his hammer was tight. Was hanging up in forwards before he scored second point and went off minutes after.

That is another reason why I think McCaffery should be an impact sub. Mind him a bit more. Against the better sides if he came on in the last 20 minutes against tired legs would be great.

I can't think of anyone else who the opposition would hate as much to come on late as sub. A team always needs a sub with a bit of spark. lifts the crowd etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Any truth to the Dublin hurlers and footballers having a double header on the 28th?

Selfishly asking as I work with 2 dublin season ticket holders but we all want the 27th off so if the dubs match is on the 28th, they'd be able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Double header on 28th Hurlers at 2:00 football at 4:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

Kildare game confirmed for Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

3rd in Nolan Park I'm told. Not the bank holiday in case anyone planning!

I don't think there will be many giving us much of a chance down in Nowlan Park on Saturday. We're just not at Kilkenny's level and it's imo the hardest place to go and win in hurling right into the lions den. The problem i could see down the line is an already qualified Kilkenny through to Leinster final playing a weakened team in last game v Wexford and Wexford pipping us to the third place. I just cannot see us beating Kilkenny or Galway. We are a hard working honest team with one top class forward and some new lads trying to make their way. Getting out of the group was the best we could hope for this year imo. That could still be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Last year our backs played really well against the their forwards but our forwards were annihilated, and that's not an exaggeration. We have to get more from the lads up top to be in the game. I'm hoping we'll do better than most think but a win is a big ask alright.

We started very well and led 0-4 v 0-1 after 10 mins and 0-8 v 0-6 after 23 mins but Kilkenny settled and finished the first half strongly and we lost our way a bit to see Kilkenny leading at ht by 0-13 v 0-9.

FT Kilkenny 0-27 v Dublin 0-21. Another good effort from the lads but once Kilkenny opened up that ht lead we were never going to overturn the deficit. No goals for either team. We can struggle in this area and need our inside line to develop more of a killer instinct. I'm sure Michael and the players know this. We are a bit behind the top 2 in Leinster.

• Advertisement

Ah it wasn't brutal and that's the main thing. It was better than I expected.

The likes of Kilkenny have a panel and top subs to be coming on. Dublin are nowhere near that sort of thing even at that practical level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

We desperately need goals if we are ever going to move up to the next level.

Zero goals in a game against a top level county means zero chance of a victory.

No need to worry about Wexford possibly beating Kilkenny and knocking us out as they have lost to Westmeath after leading by 16 points at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

That comeback was bananas Wexford must be sick not to mentioned embarrassed.

I don't normally revel in the misery of others but that result drew a smile. The unjustified arrogance of the Wexford hurling fraternity grated a little when we played them last.

Am i right in saying that if we beat Galway (big if) and KK beat Wexford we go through a Leinster final on head to head? And if KK lose we are virtually certain to finish third because points difference becomes the deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think Galway would have to be beaten by 20 points or more to make the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Yes - if two teams level on points it goes down to head to head so if they beat Galway they are through to Leinster Final

I didn't see it yet. What happened them did they play a Walsh cup type team v Westmeath? Or is because Wexford switched off completely or a combination of both?

When I think of Leinster hurling I would have to name a good few names before I would get to Westmeath.

Fair play to them, it has to go down as one of the biggest shocks in hurling in decades?

They just switched off, seemed to be an ok team they fielded. It would be nice to see both Westmeath and Antrim stay up.

Apparently the score difference tiebraker only takes into account games between the teams that finish level. That means that a four point win for Dublin sees them through to a Leinster final, irrespective of what happens in the other game. Again, its a tall order but something to aim for at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭billyhead

It wasn't a Walsh cup team. It was a full strength team Wexford put out.

Advertisement