Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus, in that case I would class it as a bigger shock then when Antrim beat Offaly in the SF of the 1989 Hurling AI. When you consider where the two counties are supposed to be in hurling terms.

And the likes of myself thinking that Wexford are the next notch up and the Dubs hurlers should be trying to get to that level. I feel like a bit of an eejit after that result, to be honest.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We've been Galways bogey team over the last decade, often pulling out a good result. Should make it interesting anyway, but they've improved a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

We definately have had good results v Galway in last decade or so (beating them in 2013 Leinster final our biggest win) and only beat them 1-18 v 1-14 two years ago in Leinster championship in Croke Park but i think Henry Shefflin is a man on a mission with Galway this year and it would be a disaster for them if they didnt make the Leinster final. They have better more dangerous forwards than we have and if their heads are in the right space which i expect they will be i see Galway running out comfortable enough winners in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

A look back at previous Galway v Dublin hurling matches.

The 2019 round robin Dublin win sticks in my mind. In a packed Parnell. Win or bust for Dublin. Can’t believe it was four years ago already.

Happened to be sitting beside Chris Crummey’s mother (she is a regular at all the games).

Only found out who she was, at a meaningless league game good while before that - the dubs coasting - she was still nervous. Meself wondering why. ‘That’s my son’ she said pointing to Chris.

And she nearly killed me hugging me at final whistle of that 2019 Galway game. Then within a few seconds. She had ran down the steps cleared the wall and was on the pitch.

Next day I was reading the paper big photo of Celebrations in middle of Parnell pitch. And she there celebrating with Chris. A proper ‘GAA mammy’.

Don’t think this weekends match will be like the 2019 match somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I see tickets up for Kildare match terrace might go first for any Dubs that might have a preference .

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

That show Philly McMahon was in shows how hypocritical people are regarding the Rory Gallagher situation. So they want to get criminals in prison involved in GAA yet Gallagher was cancelled and may not be welcome in GAA again because of his supposed crimes?

Think you might be in the wrong thread Baywatch. What the Derry county board do is of no concern to us Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JK1994

Any word on the neutral venue for the Sligo game yet?

I glanced at @BaywatchHQ 's post and read as Philly McMachon Derry in my brain quickly - why would he manage Derry!?

As for Rory Gallagher if he is clever he can play the redemptionst media game, finding himself, going out of the dark place etc. That stuff sells. Then there is the book he could write and after a good ew years he might be able to do 'dancing with the stars'. And go on about 'Mental Health' etc. Maybe even manage a high profile women's side as part of his rehabilitation back into the GAA fold?

Would I have Rory Gallagher as Dublin manager after Dessie Farrell? From a football point of view yes. A proven manager where ever he has landed.

But the media wouldn't allow it, never mind the majority of fans.

@BaywatchHQ is correct in the implication that these days it is all about optics and soundbites, playing the media game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

If Galway start without Cathal Mannion (likely), Fintan Burke (Likely) Brian Concannon (50/50) and Joseph Cooney (unlikely) they game will be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Ridiculous no announcement. It will probably be Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Have a word and get them to leave Conor Whelan and Daithi Burke on the sideline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Mannion and especially Concannon (on current form) are two sizable losses already!

Hopefully the replacements show we have a bit of a panel developing.

Kevin Cooney seems to be edging towards last season scintillating club form so I hope he can make hay in Croker tomorrow.

16/1 for MOTM for those that like a nibble plus it might take the sting out of a maroon win for some of ye!

Some awful soft frees for Galway here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

If Dubin lose this it will knock them badly, ten points up at half time!

That wind is very strong in all fairness. We should have won that but great performance all round. Still lacking the forward firepower but moving in the right direction.

Desperate stuff in that first half. Roscommon with buckets of possession, another of those Dublin lethargic performances.

• Good commentary on the hurling earlier on on Galway Bay FM. Is there any independent station in Dublin that does GAA games when Dublin are involved?

• Advertisement

Dour stuff in the football. Throwing away a 2 point lead in injury time is criminal.

Well deserved draw for Roscommon, they were the better team overall. Hard to know what's going on with Dublin, very up and down all season. Perhaps they need the jeopardy of knock out football but at the same time I've seen them annihilate Roscommon on super 8 dead rubber.

Two draws today for our hurlers and footballers. Wasn't following the football will catch up later but fully expected us to beat Roscommon and as poster said to lose a two point lead at the death is never a good thing. When will we catch fire?

Once the damp squid that is Dessie gets removed.

Possibly. We're not gone yet though. Although admittedly not convincing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just out maybe not the best time to post but that was an abject performance.We all knew their way of playing and we just let them away with it particularly in the first half .Our composure especially in the latter stages seem to have disappeared we had a couple of chances to get more than a point or two clear but fluffed them all.

Sometimes manager can't get a tune from a panel. This is one of those examples where the players don't really seem to be buying what Dessie is selling.

Expected similar to the Roscommon match - laboured/one dimensional Dublin etc. Any team that sets up solid against Dublin and plays smart always has a chance. McStay no daw - plus Rossies have a good clutch of players.

I didn’t expect the Galway result at all Galway not closing down sluggish until they switched on. Have to pleased with how Dublin played for most of the match- but were gifted two goals. Strength of Galway panel told in the end. Bit disappointed didn’t get a day out to see Leinster Hurling Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It has been remarked here countless times before... Dublin just don't have a plan to get scores on the board when teams amass in the scoring zone. The lads are working really hard but they're loose in almost everything they're doing. Mostly reactive and rarely proactive. All on management in my book.

Even though we didn't hang on in the hurling it was a good performance. The wind was a factor and the ref really sided with Galway when they got on top in general play. Burke switching lines with Currie and Boland playing more in midfield worked really well I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Shame the hurlers couldn't hold on. They've been threatening most year's to take a big scalp and make the final like today but always seem to come up short. Would have made the final more exciting instead of another Galway v Kilkenny match.

You're still in it though and who knows could catch someone out in the quarter final.

Advertisement