Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

While we are not looking great at the minute what other teams are? Kerry were woeful v Mayo. Galway didn't look too hot v 14 man Tyrone. Tyrone have regressed. Derry couldn't beat Monaghan last night. Armagh are hardworking but not good enough. Mayo put in a good shift v Kerry to be fair. My point is we may not be shooting the lights out but very few are. You only have to be better than whats out there and i've seen nothing to frighten me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jaysus don't wanna have to play that Roscommon team again anytime soon! Talk about a horrible team to play they just sit in on you and keep the ball whenever possible. The game never really opened up and when Dublin did get some kind of run they didn't take their chances. Fentons miss was awful after such a great run and Lahif's goal chance was again a very handy score that he should have taken. Rock I think is done at this level. Came on and made a balls of everything he touched should have just left it for Costello.

Hope to god that none of the lads who went off (Daly Kilkenny and McCarthy) are badly hurt. I dunno who will replace him but can't wait to see the back of Dessie as a manager. Even if we win Sam which we won't he's such a depressing presence on that team and you can see it in a lot of our play when things are not going totally in our favor we just lack belief and strength as if the players dont believe or have the drive.

Roscommon will be a tough game for most teams have a very strong defense and a couple of good scorers that step up when needed. Where Dublin are going though I've no idea. Could be another long day next week weekend with Kildare. The only thing I see in our favor is Kildare don't have the smarts Roscommon do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

With both matches drawn in the group it leaves it open no whipping boys it seems so at least a win and draw required most likely.

If we beat Kildare we should go through no problem then. I can see Sligo leaving us with room to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hopefully the lads who went off today will be fit for next week wouldn't really want to rely on our bench to replace them even against Kildare .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Rocky is gone. The kick he had at end was shocking bad. Him and Costello can’t be trusted to score frees which is worrying

Should have lost and then should have won. Roscommon holding the ball was interesting. People complaining but up to Dublin to push up and stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Feck sake just saw headline on RTE News Channel- ‘Farrell puts Dublin rustiness down to life in div2’

Is he on the wind up or wha’?

Dessie was the main reason Dublin fell into div2 in the first place!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Near FM 90.3 did some games in the past on radio, not regular though. Club games - Dubstv do a fantastic job on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh, he's deadly serious. Remember he had the team trying to play long balls into the forwards during the league last season while playing in storm like conditions in at least three of the games.

I loved Dessie as a player but he just isn't clued in to top level football and is continually getting found out against teams he should be beating.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Roscommon held the ball well. The most telling period was the 4 minute before half time. Dublin made a half a$$ed attempt to get the ball back from them. But they were doing it individualistically. Con O'Callaghan made a few bursts to try by turned around in frustration cause he had no back-up. The crowd were then getting really annoyed - and Rocommon went on one drive up the pitch and banged it over the bar. Moments like that are a great boost for the opposition. They know they have your number.

Dublin were poor. I thought they would drive on when 2 points up, and I thought Roscommon looked done for. Dublin should have put them away in the last 10 mins but awful shooting and Rocommon persevering away got them back level. I think Conor Cox saw his name flashing in the headlines with that ambitious free at the end. Should have left it to the keeper. Outside of the boot, about 55 yards out had a small percentage of going between the posts. It needed a ground shot.

• Advertisement

The Kerryness was on show with Conor Cox. I thought to meself - he could have been a legend in two counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Jasus open your eyes lad , that Dublin team is all over the shop

Great post and fully agree ref Dessie , time for a change big time

This has to be the most negative county forum by a long way. Nothing but Dessie's fault this and Dessie's out of his depth that and Dessie has to go and we haven't a chance to win. The same with the hurling. You'd think we're the Leitrim footballers the way some go on and not the All Ire favourites with many GAA pundits tipping us for glory. Deary me it's all so depressing think i'll swerve it for a while or it will drag my mood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dont know how you guys are blaming everything on Dessie when the team is aging with nothing coming through:

Ciaran Kilkenny: 30 next month

Brian Fenton: 30

Paul Mannion: 30

Jack McCaffrey: 29

James McCarthy:33

Stephen Cluxton: 41

Michael Fitzsimons: 34

Dean Rock: 33

The simple answer is that talent isn't coming through in Dublin like it was before. They havent won an U20/21 all ireland since 2017 and havent won a minor all ireland since 2012. In the words of Joe Brolly.. The production line is finished

Please mention this to the posters on here looking to split Dublin

Right we can look at the fact so many have retired and a lot of the lads left are in there later years but there is an atmosphere around that team since Jim left. Galvin had full control and the players where totally invested in him. They played for him and never gave up but they also knew that there manager knew how to get the best out of them Dessie doesn't and never has he looked like he has!

There's still a lot of house hold names left in this current squad winners and top level footballers but there not consistently playing at the level they should be. Farrell has never ever came across as a manager who instils confidence and belief in his team if anything the mood seems fairly low a lot of the time. Only for the fact we have / had such huge once in a generation level of talent in our squad the drop off would of been ridiculously bad so where lucky very lucky in that sense.

We need someone in charge of that team who can develop the younger players and give some kind of direction to the lads in general. Ill say it again as I've said many times before it **** kills me the player Con has turned out to be the last few years and how he's being wasted in the current setup.

The guy is a top top talent every bit on the level of Clifford but because of how Dessie has the team setup he only gets to shine in games where the other team lets us play. Otherwise he ends up totally out of the game and having to deal with scraps I mean look at yesterday he barely had a kick in front of goal and its just lucky the guy is an incredibly hard worker for the team because a fella with less drive would of left by now.

When you see him coming out with this shite about not getting tested in division 2 ffs his style of play nearly cost us actually moving out of the division! The problem is who replaces him because surely he should of been gone after last season but there never looked like anyone wanted the job.

Where relying massively on experienced players getting the team through that wont last forever infact it could come sooner rather then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Only a blind man or a gobshïtê would have tipped us for Sam this year.

Dessie has been found wanting for a while now. Managed to get a team full of All-stars relegated playing some of the most braindead football you'll see at the top level.ook at how indecisive the entire team is in most games. They're like a bunch of lads who meet for the first time on a Sunday morning in the car park.

Look at the damaged caused to the hurling panel when we had Cunningham in charge. A man, like Dessie, so clearly put of his depth that it wasn't even funny. We're only starting to come out of that period now but be under no illusion, a manager this bad for the squad takes a long time to get over.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter about opinions. You just need to go to the matches and see how they are playing. I've seen the last few Dublin matches live, and for large portions in the game, the players seem to be running around like headless chickens. The complete opposite from 6/7 years ago. If teams can keep Con O'Callaghan and Paul Mannion quiet, the other forwards offer very little.

If teams can keep O Se and Clifford quiet for Kerry, Comer and Walsh quiet for Galway and O Donoghue and Conroy/O Se for Mayo you cpuld day the same.

So Pillar Caffrey is a gobshite who tipped us few weeks back. And Enda McGinley. And a few others i heard recently but cant remember. I would rather call anybody that blatantly writes us off as having no chance of winning this years All Ireland as a total gobshite.

Because Dessie has been tactifcally inept. I know that players are not coming through but Dessie is not helping himself at all.

1) Slow to make changes and see danger - no extra midfielder played v Derry first game for example - common sense.

2) Dopey sort of tactics v Armagh in the league when Dublin were in div1

3) Media optics - uninspiring interviews with the Press - doesn't rally the troops

4) Has not done a through search of club football for a few 'dogs' as Tomás Ó Sé would call them - ok might not have skill but they would work their bollocks off -run chase harry - basically the poor man's Shane Ryan. When a team does not have skill it seems obvious to me that you go the workhorse route - pace if possible as a bonus.

Kerry, Yes maybe. Can't say the same about Mayo and Galway. Galway have other quality forwards - Tierney, Finnerty, Ian Burke. And very solid midfield. Mayo have good runners from the back, and a solid midfield who are dynamic and can score. You mentioned Conroy - he's not even on the first 15. They have Jordan Flynn, Jack Carney and James Carr who offer far more than the Dublin "supporting" forwards. There is always a chance of winning the All-Ireland, but I wouldn't be surprised if a further nail is bet into the coffin next Saturday at Nowlan Park. Kildare have had a nice rest period now, and will be targeting this one.

I do agree next week will be a tough game not expecting anything easy in Kilkenny.

I haven't seen anything from Kildare recently to think there smart enough to actually see the game out. They will no doubt give us hassle but weather they can keep it going for a whole game like Roscommon did yesterday is another thing altogether.

Yeah Dessie is leaving the next fella with nothing to work with. Basically the poor fecker who gets the job after Dessie will be forced to make a major clear out - and there will be a huge experience gap.

So it will get much worse before it gets better IMO. Dublin really need a fella that can play structured football making a team greater than the sum of its parts. Someone like Banty from Monaghan, that type of manager. Who Brolly time and again slagged off as a failure. But I always looked at how they stayed in the league and made it awkward for teams, every fella knew his job. The only reason Monaghan did not do even better in that period is because they did not have a large panel.

But Dublin do have a large panel - Ok even if average 6/10 7/10 like Paul Casey back in the day those type of fellas are what is needed now. The Darren Homan, Dennis Bastick type of fellas who would go through a wall and run all day.

They don't have to be 'footballers' there should be enough there to support two or three of the auld Legends 'nice footballers' if the next Dublin manager manages to get workhorses around those players. In a structured manner. It is not pretty easy on the eye stuff I am expecting. Just a team that is hard to beat, and leave everything on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I once suggested Malachy O Rourke as the best choice for Dublin manager and was told that an outside manager was not preferred. If that sentiment has changed then O Rourke is still the best choice for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

I thought Roscommon were excellent yesterday and we were almost naive. We had a very experienced team out yesterday, but they stood off the Rossies in the first half and then, obviously based on instruction, went man to man in the second half. The Rossies then proceeded to have their six backs within five yards of their 21 with six of our finest marking them, leaving an ocean of space for their keeper and midfield to manage their kick out. They continually kept us out of the scoring area, and then once we got in, sprung a trap and had three or four around the player in possession.

I try not to buy into this being all Dessie's fault, but I think the Rossie's manager looked a cut above yesterday. The remark about this being our first game against D1 opposition this year is correct, but I didn't see anything to suggest we'll be any better next time out against a D1 team. Tough game to watch.

Advertisement