Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Surely now it's the end of them.

I actually think diarmuid is a good player, all be it a dirty fecker.

But the other 2, sweet Jesus!!

I said earlier that I'd be more worried if AOS didn't start and the cheers from the hill when he was subbed was music to my ears.

When that piece of poison finally leaves that squad, the better off they'll be and they can play the montages of his glorious performances against Sligo and Leitrim.

If it's just a montage of his all Ireland final highlights, all I say is, don't blink.

I know I said earlier also that I think mayo were still favourites.

I stand corrected 💙

James McCarthy - WOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Brilliant stuff. Lots of questions answered. The players really looked hungry for work and the execution wasn't far off the standards set in the past.

Gough was a disgrace. Completely inconsistent interpretation of the rules. The colour of the jersey seemed to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I was hoping we'd take off McCarthy at HT, I thought Fr Time had caught up with him when he got that yellow so early. God, he rolled back the years in the 2nd, immense. Delighted with Costello, glad it wasn't Rock starting, even though I was an admirer of him and his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Just as i expected and said all year our lads will come good when it matters most. Oh ye of little faith..

• Advertisement

Was the ref that bad? I didn't notice. He didn't allow their "goal" and gave us a softish free when Small ran into AOS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Didn't know the commentators had been announced already.

Good to have D Byrne back today. The game will stand to him. A full back line of himself, Fitzimons and Gannon/Murchan is decent. Lots of miles on the clock with Byrne and Fitz but so much experience and know how and a winners mentality.

James was excellent in second half. Fenton his usual good self.

Basquel continued his upturn in form. Costelloe chipping in with nice scores from play.

There's more in Con and Mannion.

Not so impressive from Bugler, Howard or Scully. Need to improve.

Bit of strength in reserve on bench with Kilkenny, P Small and Jack no defence will like seeing them enter the fray.

Happy to get Monaghan over Derry in the draw. We will give them the respect they deserve and beat them.

Hopefully Derry can knock Kerry out although no sweeter win than beating Kerry in the final.

After all the doom and gloom on here all year it's looking like another All Ireland final to look forward to and that is a good place to be.

Finally, good man Dessie.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It's a lack of consistency, very little in the two he gave for off the ball pulls, while allowing multiple late hits and pulls on dublin players on the ball. It's either physical or its not.

Let them get away with a bit too much second half as well imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Negative was getting caught in the first half. Positive was making the changes at halftime and stopping it from happening in the second. It's one of the stand out performances from the line actually making positive changes to what's happening on the field.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

He's trending on Twitter, a few people not happy with that "goal" decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

One of my big criticism of Dessie was his inaction on the line up to now but today he got things right when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Delighted with the result and second half performance, I thought today would be tighter. Some great performances around the pitch, Basquel, McCarthy, Mannion etc. The game should bring on the team loads.

I think Dublin will beat Monaghan, Kerry should beat Derry, I'd still make Kerry favourite to beat Dublin, if Kerry had the possession Mayo had in the first half I don't think Dublin would be a point up.

It's the quick transitions for Kerry that we have to stop. They killed us last year when turning us over and hitting their frontmen before we could organise. Take a leaf out of the Derry handbook. Foul and spoil as soon as you lose it. Let the ref march you backwards for slowing it up. It's not beneath a Jack O'Connor team to do the same so match them on that front.

Ryan O'Donohue was given a good supply of ball in the first half and more often that not he was in splendid isolation with his man. That has to stop.

We will have to play for the whole game v Kerry like our second half today , first half today would leave us in big trouble against Kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It’s bonus territory now as far as I am concerned.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That is assuming Monaghan are beaten though.

I noticed Dessie Farrell was quick to say Monaghan relegated Dublin to Div2 must be prepared etc etc.

Plus Dessie actually said he was ‘delighted’ which the equivalent of anyone else jumping around roaring how great everything is like a mad yoke.

I do respect Monaghan but from what I have seen I fully expect us to beat them .We will have to play way way below ourselves to lose I reckon .We may not hammer them but we will beat them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Well done lads, by far the better team in the 2nd half

• Advertisement

Just dopey mistakes by Mayo changed the tone of the game IMO. It was like watching two different Mayo teams. Mayo’s heads went I think.

I agree with ya, but the win will be hard earned. If Dublin run up a big score and win v Monaghan- I’d be very impressed (Given Monaghan’s style system).

I know it probably feels like a lifetime ago now, but Roscommon showed how to smoother/frustrate Dublin.

This is the Dublin thread so i won't labour this this but the inexperience of some of the Mayo lads was very obvious. The more experienced heads were constantly in their ear trying to help but... there's so substitute as they say. They were way off physically too. Durkan, Flynn and the younger O'Connor looked capable but that was about it in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I saw some journos tweeting Dublin will play Monaghan 5.30 Sat July 15th after the Tailteann Cup final at 3pm. Bit confused though because fixture details aren't meant to be confirmed until tomorrow

Thought as much myself. No way they'd drag Kerry and Derry fans up on the Saturday night when Dublin were an option. We will be playing Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath Vs down should have been fixed before Kerry v Tyrone. Would Monaghan Vs Dublin not sell out by itself anyway?

Should be a big enough Monaghan support a few more Dub summer supporters there yesterday would make up to about 60k .Meath should bring a decent crowd and if they win will stay and cheer for Monaghan .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Well done to dublin. Definitely the better team this year. There were a few key moments that probably skewed the score a little bit but ye definitely deserved it.

Taking oshea off was a mistake on our part, not sure why posters were giving him stick here - bird probably fancies him or somethin - he was actually doing fairly well and probably didnt get enough ball.

Best of luck for the semi final. I think you will beat kerry if you meet them

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Kept an eye on the free count in the first half and it was 13-7 to Mayo, they got far more frees than we did. A consistent theme across the Championship.

• Advertisement

Good job it wasn't Dubs fans involved in a bit of a scrap on the hill over the weekend if they had there would be a twenty page thread at this stage .

Advertisement