Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Me too. Dublin look as if they have improved a bit from last year. I'd have them as warm favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah that's my feeling and hope, although I didn't see Kerry against Tyrone, that was a v impressive scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

After watching both games I think we are actually in better shape than Kerry right now. We just handled a better team in terrible conditions and did it fairly comfortably. Outside of Clifford, I don't think the Kerry forwards are posing too much of a threat. In McCarthy, Fenton and Howard I think we have the players to dominate the middle third and stop a lot of the supply going into Clifford. Also, having Bugler back for Scully would definitely help there as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Seadin

Dublin will know and feel they can beat Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mick Fitz will stick to Clifford like super glue. He won't get a sniff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Yeah, just saw it now, in the 31/32nd minute and they scored from the 45, I hope Fr Time hasn't caught up with him. The key moment for my bet "McCarthy to score and Dublin minus 7" was a couple of minutes later when he was in front of goal, edge of the D and hit it wide. Eff you James, but I forgive you, you're still my hero, so is Clucko.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah I remember that too. I think both sides are similar in that regard nowadays, don’t believe the weather is a big deal either way.

Probably wasn’t back then either!

Any lad from Kerry that tells you a Dublin team is better is the rain is up to the usual cuteness. It rains about 357 days of the year down there.

Post edited by JRant on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

RIP to Jim Gavin sr , like many a west clare man in the 1960s he made dublin his home , and like many clare people that moved up, dublin made him and his family a success

i only live a few miles away from his home place , and still wonder how different things would have been had he stayed at home and manned the farm

his son never forgot his roots either , every year without fail the dubs were down in west clare for a weekend away with sam ,jim jr never forgot his roots and made sure the next generation of clare footballlers got to see more of sam mcguire then the actual kerry team of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I hope you're right. Is it just me, or does anyone else wish Philly McMahon would be marking Clifford. He did a great job on Gooch in that rainy 2015 final, I think he scored more than that legend in a low-scoring game, that day.

• Advertisement

Clifford is more or less unmarkable by a single player and the introduction of the offensive mark makes it even harder because he's a big lump of a fella with great hands. If he doesn't win clean ball he'll grab an arm and go over, winning a free. Very clever footballer but not without his faults. Need to put serious pressure before the ball goes into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Gough reffing the final worries me greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Anyone listening to the Football Pod on Off The Ball with James O Donoghue of Kerry and our own Paddy Andrews it's a bit of a running joke that Gough has favoured us in big games v Kerry over the years. O Donoghue tongue in cheek hoping Gough evens it up in the final next week. I don't worry about referee's myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't actually think he favours a team. I just think he's inconsistent and prone to trying to be clever.

In a tight game, I hope a soft free doesn't decide it

I really don't take much notice of referee's. I couldn't really say which ones i think are good or not so good. Obviously you wouldn't want to be on the end of a match defining wrong call but no point in worrying about now imo.

Hard to believe we haven't lost an All Ireland final since 1994 against Down. I was on the Hill that rainy day and it added to the misery of '91 v Meath, '92 v Donegal and '93 v Derry. I was never so depressed leaving Croke Park that day wondering would we ever win another final.

Roll on 29 years and we are looking to win our 10th final out of 10 next Sunday. Some turnaround. From nearly men to Kings of the Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

2015 final wet day gave a 45 to Dublin after overturning his own umpires . Was it McMennimen pleaded Fitbit and walked away smiling.

2016 final failed to give a free to Peter Crowley where he was pulled down coming through the middle. Dublin went down and scored a goal from the turnover I think.

I do not worry about referees either but it's not a running joke those were big calls he failed to make correctly

Slava Ukrainii

Yes the Peter Crowley one i remember was the wrong call. Should have been a free for Kerry.

What i mean by a running joke is the two lads have had a laugh about it numerous times. Usually Paddy taking the proverbial but James (or Jimmy as Paddy calls him) is well able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Coldrick reffed the 2015 final.

2016 was a semi.

Yeah was 16 semi, down by a point, Kevin Mc on Barry John.

They went down the other end and got a point, a nicely taken one by Connolly

Crowley not Barry John obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin didn't score a goal in 2016 which was a semi final. Don't forget Gough also missed the Aidan O'Mahony block on Philly McMahon and Donaghy pull down on Kilkenny in that game. Both blatant cards. The McManaman 45s was also in 2016 game. David Coldrick refereed 2015 final

Post edited by Gael85 on

I suppose we were due a break from a referee after that dreadful call back in '78 that led to that goal chipped over Paddy Cullens head. We were coasting at that stage and fell apart thereafter. Twas never a free Kerry lads and it only took us 37 years to get a 'favourable' call against ye in a final 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know. Mick Fitzsimons is a great player but I don't think he would be strong enough or (dare I say) indulges enough in the dark arts to keep Clifford quiet. I'm not from Dublin, so I could be wrong. I saw a comment about Philly McMahon maybe being the ideal type marker. That would be a very interesting match-up alright.

I'm sure many people said that Christy McCaigue would be a good man for the job. 9 points later, 4 from play and a mark. Job done. I cannot see any of the Dublin defenders being able to hold him in an All Ireland final. Stop the supply is easier said than done. Paudi Clifford will run all day for the ball, and first thing is he raise the head to see where the brother is. Maybe some sweeper system?? But Derry are as defensive as they come, and they couldn't stop the threat.

Keeping him to 4 points from play is a good return though. The advanced mark is a blight on the game and unless we want the game to turn into a free scoring shootout like hurling it needs to be binned. Brings nothing to the game but hardship for defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I was thinking about that this week, that Dublin team of the 90's (so much hard hard luck stories/flops) the 00's side were just not good enough when it came to the crunch.

I was wondering -

1) How many points do posters think David Clifford is worth to Kerry?

2) How many points will David Clifford have to kept to for Dublin to win?

3) Who will be the fella to keep David Clifford quiet - Mick Fitz?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

3/4 points from play would be a good result for whoever marks him. They'll get a ball of soft frees so he may end up with 9/10 points in total (I'm counting anything scored from a mark as a free as well).

Discipline is key though. Clifford likes to get his man an early yellow. Grab an arm, fall over, yellow card, gives him a bit more freedom as well. I can see Kerry going after our inside backs with plenty of long balls in on top of them to try get goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

DC could well end up with close to ten points with the mark ideal for him .We simply have to disrupt the ball into him as much as possible .He will be the most difficult player on the field to nullify or close to it. We need a return from our forwards on the scoreboard obviously a few points from a few to bring us up to to a winning tally .As above we have to be disciplined and not pick up cards especially early and if we do get a card get him one too so he doesn't have a free run of things . Like plenty of other players he is good at grabbing and making it look like he is being pulled down .

I think we have the midfield to give them really trouble for 70 minutes. Barry has done a job on Fenton in recent games but he's nowhere near the same level this season. Howard should start and play a role in shoring up the halfback line, especially on their kickouts.

We all know Kerry will do a lot of tactical fouling to stop us getting quick ball into the forwards. We need to do the exact same and stop quick ball going into Clifford and O'Shea. What I'm worried about is that Gough will clamp down on us doing while letting them off, which has happened before.

Looking at how we've played the last couple of games and it's set-up to trouble this Kerry team. They don't have quick backs and rely on an early foul to allow them get set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Kerry have the best defensive set up in the country. Only 3 championship goals conceded in last two years and best goalie Shane Ryan in form of his life. We struggle for goals in the tight. 12/ games 16 championship goals were scored against Laois, Louth & Sligo. Only 4 goals in 5 other games. Costello has no goals this year and Con hasn't scored any goal in Croke Park. Con and Kilkenny are really out of form. The narrative we would won if had Con, Mannion and Jack is wrong. If kerry score the penalty we could have been hammered. Mannion and Jack have plenty little football prior rejoining Dublin panel and are struggling to adjust to intercounty pace.

We need to avoid bringing ball into contact as kerry are masters of the turnover. This was our downfall in first half last year. Hopefully we have learned from that game.

• Advertisement

1 If i was from Kerry i'd be hoping/expecting he'd be scoring 10 points + on Sunday. That's including goals, points, frees he wins and scores himself and marks. Possibly more including what he sets up for others.

2 If we can keep him to approx 5-7 points from play (inc. goals), frees he wins and scores himself and marks i'd take that now

3 Mick Fitz is the man for the job. He will relish the challenge.

Clifford is the best i've seen at that age, though. I don't think he is overhyped. Keep up his ridiculously high standard he'll go down as the best forward to ever play the game. I do fear he could go to town on us on Sunday.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

Advertisement