Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Howard days in the forwards are over. If not centre back will be midfield.

Peter Duffy from Cuala might be pushing for a midfield ahead of his club mate POCB.

I say frees will be between Costello, Con and Mannion. If Costello not on field whoever in goal to the 45s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

I would expect Cluxton back later in year. I think Dessie giving the older lads a break for early league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Some miss should have been a second goal for Dublin.

McCaffrey left for dead on the second Monaghan goal.

It was easier to score that, bad miss by Basquel.

• Advertisement

Monaghan deserve that. O Hanlon had the Dublin defence in all sorts of trouble when he got on the ball. Terrible play by Fenton at the end, if he played the ball earlier Dublin would have scored.

Dublin's struggles against Monaghan in the league continues..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We were very rusty and we got very little from any of the new lads .Fenton awful play at the end and Niall Scully palming the wide proved very costly. Losing first game means we are under a bit of pressure heading west next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Monaghan always seem to tune in very quick for the league. I would have taken a draw before throw in. O’Hanlon for Monaghan has some spark about him. I used to think Monaghan only lacked a bench, but their subs caused havoc late on as well.

Dublin seemed very casual and sloppy IMO. Bit annoying not to get something from the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We were by far the better team throughout. Gave up a few soft goals and the peno was as soft as they come. I wouldn't be worried after that performance. Good first run out for a lot of the team and they weren't terrible. Moved away from the scoring mark in the second half, which we got some joy in the first from.

Good game for the neutral though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

"By far the better team" is some exaggeration. You deserved maybe a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin loooked very leggy but probably should have taken a point. Can't remember Fenton and con being so quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A poor enough performance but mostly down to rustiness.

Makes Castlebar interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know how you figure that Dublin were by far the better team throughout. Monaghan bore holes straight through the Dublin defense time and time again. Dublin missed the bit of steel that John Small provides around the centre back area. Dublin were faffing around with the ball again in the forwards - back and over passes, with no end-result.

Wasn't a soft peno. I was at the match, so it was difficult to tell in real time. But watched the match back today, and Dublin defender clearly has his hand on the forwards back, and pushes him to the ground. I cannot see how there can be any debate about that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, it was definitely a penalty, at least in my opinion, a definite hands on back, player goes down moment, you see those types of fouls/penalties all the time.

It was, however, a stupid penalty to give away, the first Dublin defender had actually done enough to dislodge the ball, Monaghan player was struggling to get it to hand again when he felt the shove come in from behind. He's always going to go down in those circumstances.

I thought that Dublin was the better team overall though, with better build up play, some very good counter attacks. The thing that killed us is the speed of the Monaghan players, which caught our defense sleeping for the goals. We lost the head at the end as well, we were unable to manufacture anything whene it mattered.

Well done Monaghan. Makes the rest of the league interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Never good to lose first league game especially at home , Monaghan looked fitter and just about deserved the win and yet Dublin could have nicked it at the end , Makes the Mayo game a lot more important now , lose that and the pressure will start to build big time .

Anyone thinking of booting it from Parnell to McHale Park on Saturday?

According to google maps it should take between 3:30 minutes or 2:40 minutes

Assuming you are out of Parnell after the Tipp match at around 16:00 you might make the 19:30 throw in at McHale park Castlebar.

That would be some achievement, they should give Parnell tickets for life to anyone who manages it, IMO!

--

I am too much of a "sunshine supporter" and worried about things like cold/rain to try it. Not a "proper supporter". I have planned out Hurling Match in Parnell, Mayo match on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Castlebar trip is now part of tradition so will be prioritising that. Hurling updates on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

As a Mayo fan your visit is usually one of the best football nights of the year (every other year) down here.

You tend not to get the praise/notice of the likes of Armagh fans get with their bright orange showing up so obviously on the cameras but in terms of atmosphere, genuine support for their side, craic in the stand and ability to have a hell of a fun evening after I'd have to tip my cap to your travelling support the last decade or so. Genuinely top notch. Second to none.

Looking forward to Saturday evening. Hopefully we'll all get a great game to enjoy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nothing like a night in Breaffy Hotel after the match. Eldest daughter reminded me too that it's our anniversary!

Hoping for an enjoyable weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Couple of freebies for the hurling tomorrow - PM if you want them. Name and email address required for the Ticketmaster transfer.

EDIT: One gone and one left.

Post edited by Collie D on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Getting an education in hurling from Tipp today, sadly.

Dublin were spirited enough but Tipp able to up their game when Dublin mounted a bit of a fight back. Lack of goals still an issue for Dublin.

Same auld problems scoreline actually flattered Dublin, as Tipp were switched off for most of the second half. Really impressive crowd though. Lots of Tipp people there as well.

Dublin defending way better than against Monaghan. 20minutes gone only 2 scores conceded. Dublin dominating possession. Game going a lot handier than I thought it would be.

Commentators and analysis seem to imply that Mayo want to make sure they don’t win the league.

Similar to last week v Monaghan, fair bit of possession, but up front not taking their chances and some of the options have been poor, that low ball in from Fenton when he broke free for example. Defense better though. It does seem a couple of the new guys can make the grade...

To lose that and get nothing is sickner Mayo blessed.

Dublin deserve that for messing about at the end. What was Con doing at the end, that last free was soft but silly free to give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Two games in a row we have been fucked over by bad refereeing and poor forward play.

Should of won both those games instead we have nothing.

Some seriously bad misses especially tonight. Mayo's goal out of nothing turned the game we where dirt from there on.

Incredibly frustrating start to the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

Too many wides in 2nd half, despite some good scores too. Could have easily won that, we were the better team.

Didn't think it was a free, but we got caught ball watching.

Advertisement