Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    As is your obsession with them it seems.

A serious performance by Dublin tonight. I'd love to see Cork and Dublin go at it again.
    We gave ye a game for an hour or so last year and still ended up with a beating.
    I presume Cluxton with 16 Leinsters is a record and that will never again be beaten.

Yeah, a Cork Dublin game would be good alright, I said it after the game last year that you guys were far ahead of anyone else that Dublin had played at that stage, never let us get into Jim Gavin's Game Management mode, which is something that only the top teams have done to us over the last few years. It one of the reasons that I wasn't too surprised by your victory over Kerry. Still a little surprised though, perhaps I bought into the media hype around Kerry a little too much after the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Only seeing the game now. What was Costello sent off for?
    Looks bizarre.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JRant wrote: »
    Looks bizarre.

Called the linesman a príck.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Looks bizarre.

From footage you can lip read him saying at least “fxxk off.... ya prxxk” to the linesman. That’s a straight red and won’t be overturned I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

ShamoBuc wrote:
    I heard him saying something but couldn't remember exactly what it was. Ridiculous stat. Unreal. Reckon there is another year or two in him or is this it?

I think if he was thinking of calling it a day, this would have been the year, with jim leaving and getting the 5 in a row, never mind covid.

His hunger doesn't look like going away anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, just read his comments were aimed at the linesman. Can't see him getting off on that one unfortunately.

EDIT: I should note, if it's true that he abused an official, then he doesn't deserve leniency. Very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

From footage you can lip read him saying at least “fxxk off.... ya prxxk” to the linesman. That’s a straight red and won’t be overturned I’d say

No problem with him being punished for abusing official, but technically is it not a black card, not a red? Other than i assume if you were to hit one a belt!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No problem with him being punished for abusing official, but technically is it not a black card, not a red? Other than i assume if you were to hit one a belt!

Pretty sure that aimed at a player, it's black, but aimed at an official, it's red.

Black card for “ remonstrating” with an official, straight red for “abusing” an official. I suppose telling one to fxxk off may arguably be black card but calling him a prxxk is red card all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is Costello out of the final ? Close call by my maths.

If you call an official a prick you can expect red.... kids know that, so why he’s doing that in an all Ireland semi is absolutely thick as pigshît, especially considering the score, stupid, dumb, if I’m Dessie I’d lift him out of it.

• Advertisement

Called the linesman a príck.

Jaysus, if that's a red card then I expect to see a lot of players sent off and every manager in every game given a red.

That'll be appealed and he'll win. He can argue he was calling the meath player a prick. It's not like he got into the linesman face.

Wasn't sure. Have vague memory of someone being black carded for what like a similar verbal attack on sideline.

Stupid thing to be sure, and deserves a sanction. I'd imagine he got an earful from Farrell. When Gilroy took over, he was completely down on that sort of thing, and apparently dropped players for mouthing. Very rare to see a Dublin player engaged in that sort of cr@p any more which was rife among many teams in the noughties.

Jaysus, if that's a red card then I expect to see a lot of players sent off and every manager in every game given a red.

That'll be appealed and he'll win. He can argue he was calling the meath player a prick. It's not like he got into the linesman face.

All the publicity and fact it was captured by tv makes me think he has no chance getting off if linesman gets his say in refs report.

Wasn't sure. Have vague memory of someone being black carded for what like a similar verbal attack on sideline.

Stupid thing to be sure, and deserves a sanction. I'd imagine he got an earful from Farrell. When Gilroy took over, he was completely down on that sort of thing, and apparently dropped players for mouthing. Very rare to see a Dublin player engaged in that sort of cr@p any more which was rife among many teams in the noughties.

It looked completely harmless, more of a comment under his breath while about 3/4 meters from the linesman. Can't remember ever seeing a red like that before.

All the publicity and fact it was captured by tv makes me think he has no chance getting off if linesman gets his say in refs report.

Linesman can't know 100% that the comment was directed at him though. It probably was but there's enough their to get off IMO.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Whatever he said, your man obviously heard it!

Have to say, having sat behind a certain chap roaming the line and pretty much bullying a linesman for a whole match, i have a certain sympathy for a linesman who said "Fk this crack."!

Imagine how insufferable it'll be if he got off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I for one would love to see it!

Seriously though, that's not a red card. A word heard up and down the county from all age levels. Doesn't make it right, but of course we're made an example of.

Far worse red cards than that have be overturned on appeal with plenty in the media cheerleadering their cause. It should be a black card on appeal and that'll be the end of it.

One must understand that I said that hoping it'll happen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

I imagine an appeal could be quite handy if you took the line that it was a general shout and not aimed at lino (depending on what was said of course)

How quick appeals are these days could be an issue especially if it failed at the first hurdle. Anyway if it’s a one game ban it might be accepted quietly and move on. Unless there’s fitness and injury issues with the scoring forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Also, have to laugh. An off the ball journalist has a twitter thread giving “a few facts” about why Costello had to be sent off. Trying to conflate a few curses with indiscipline that means he’s never held down a starting place.

Talk about scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If Meath beat Wicklow by 25 odd pts and Dublin subsequently beat Meath by 20 pts. Does that mean Dublin would be -50 V Wicklow? Would Wicklow be better off having their keeper kick the ball over his own goal at the maximum permissible delay duration on repetition? Sometimes the balls falls off the tee'd up clump in Aughrim and needs to be reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I imagine an appeal could be quite handy if you took the line that it was a general shout and not aimed at lino (depending on what was said of course)

How quick appeals are these days could be an issue especially if it failed at the first hurdle. Anyway if it’s a one game ban it might be accepted quietly and move on. Unless there’s fitness and injury issues with the scoring forwards.

The appeal will only succeed if there is actual evidence to overturn the original decision. The burden of proof is on the player and Dublin.

If the camera can pick up the comment made to, at or even in the direction of the linesman it’s no dice. If it was clearly towards a teammate or opponent... different story...

If it wasn’t a refereeing error, he only has himself to blame. I’d have nil sympathy, Dublin 20 or so points up and he’s F-Bombing the linesman out of it, actually abusing him... WHY ??? that’s pure stupidity of the highest regard. People go on that “ohhh he got carried away, the occasion, the drive, ambition, determined to win...” great, be determined to help your team, play in the all Ireland final and keep your mouth shut... Meath sideline ball that wasn’t , free that shouldn’t have been, penalty, somebody stole your lunch money ? keep it shut and be ready for the big day.

Strumms wrote: »
    The appeal will only succeed if there is actual evidence to overturn the original decision. The burden of proof is on the player and Dublin.

If the camera can pick up the comment made to, at or even in the direction of the linesman it’s no dice. If it was clearly towards a teammate or opponent... different story...

If it wasn’t a refereeing error, he only has himself to blame. I’d have nil sympathy, Dublin 20 or so points up and he’s F-Bombing the linesman out of it, actually abusing him... WHY ??? that’s pure stupidity of the highest regard. People go on that “ohhh he got carried away, the occasion, the drive, ambition, determined to win...” great, be determined to help your team, play in the all Ireland final and keep your mouth shut... Meath sideline ball that wasn’t , free that shouldn’t have been, penalty, somebody stole your lunch money ? keep it shut and be ready for the big day.

That line of thinking is great and all but I can't ever remember a player getting sent off like that. A black card at worst would have been more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That line of thinking is great and all but I can't ever remember a player getting sent off like that. A black card at worst would have been more than enough.

Ah in fairness now; you can't have players going around calling abusive names to the officials, getting a 10 minute sinbin, and be allowed back on the pitch again. You can understand players having a go at each other. THey are rivals, trying to outdo each other. But the ref, linesmen and umpires are there to try to implement a set of rules in a game so that there is some civilised structure to a game.
    Can't be calling them prlcks, and not be penalised properly for doing so.
    In my opinion anyway.

Before it was the Connolly situation; "ah but shure he only gave him a slight push"
    Now Costello; "ah shure he only called him a prlck. What's the harm"

Ah in fairness now; you can't have players going around calling abusive names to the officials, getting a 10 minute sinbin, and be allowed back on the pitch again. You can understand players having a go at each other. THey are rivals, trying to outdo each other. But the ref, linesmen and umpires are there to try to implement a set of rules in a game so that there is some civilised structure to a game.
    Can't be calling them prlcks, and not be penalised properly for doing so.
    In my opinion anyway.

Before it was the Connolly situation; "ah but shure he only gave him a slight push"
    Now Costello; "ah shure he only called him a prlck. What's the harm"

Well, that escalated quickly.
    Calling someone a prick is at the lower end of a sanction, so a black card is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Very true they let their football do the talking... Have to say as a Kerryman i really admire the way these Dublin lads behave on and off the pitch... u never see pictures of them in the papers at social events... never get into trouble... there just seems to be no messing by any of them of any sort... jusst get on with the game and no more about it...

i was really annoyed when i saw this stupid video of Peter Keane and David Clifford couple days before Cork game basically talknig bout how they got to know each other..... ridiculous stuff... you would never ever see that with Dublin.... actually they either management or palyers are hardly ever in media... compared to Paul Caffreys time in charge its a big change...

On Cormac Costello he does unfortunately does not really follow that trend... bit of a Paul Galvin about him when hes playing... and im not too sure why?? Why when his team are 20points up would u abuse an official???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Very true they let their football do the talking... Have to say as a Kerryman i really admire the way these Dublin lads behave on and off the pitch... u never see pictures of them in the papers at social events... never get into trouble... there just seems to be no messing by any of them of any sort... jusst get on with the game and no more about it...

i was really annoyed when i saw this stupid video of Peter Keane and David Clifford couple days before Cork game basically talknig bout how they got to know each other..... ridiculous stuff... you would never ever see that with Dublin.... actually they either management or palyers are hardly ever in media... compared to Paul Caffreys time in charge its a big change...

On Cormac Costello he does unfortunately does not really follow that trend... bit of a Paul Galvin about him when hes playing... and im not too sure why?? Why when his team are 20points up would u abuse an official???

He was having a bit of a nightmare. Not exusing it, but reckon it was just frustration at how his own game was going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why would Dublin bother appealing that red card?

Not being smart, and no doubt Costello himself would like it appealed, but from a Dublin point of view why would they distract themselves and invite the bad publicity just to get back one of their subs?

They will still have Mannion, McMenaman, Howard and Basquel on the bench and probably a few others I don't know about, so is this really an argument they are going to be too concerned about?

Advertisement