Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

muddle84 wrote: »
    how are you all feeling about the final and your chances against Mayo, or Mayo's chances against you is probably a more fitting way of putting it. Are you nervous or confident?

As a Mayo fan, I'm absolutely delighted to be back in a final full stop. All the better that its against Dublin but i'm not confident we will get as close to Dublin as 2017 especially based on the result last year. But I can't help but get excited and wonder what if!

Its hard to know , Dublin are untested , new manager etc
    Mayo have found some really promising young lads and have a lot of pace now
    Will an empty Croke Park take some of the pressure off them ?
    Hoping for a good game ,may the best team win

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

dunnerc wrote: »
    Its hard to know , Dublin are untested , new manager etc
    Mayo have found some really promising young lads and have a lot of pace now
    Will an empty Croke Park take some of the pressure off them ?
    Hoping for a good game ,may the best team win

The best team is Dublin and they will win at their ease, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

If Horan is learning anything from his past mistakes it could be closer than I think.
    If would call a score I would say about Dublin by 8 ish.

But it is an odd game no crowd. I have no idea of Mayo and Dublin's challenge match record against each other. There is nothing on the line at the end of those though.

If I was a Mayo fan I would be delighted a very fit team, full of energy. A good sprinkling of young lads thrown in mixed with the auld heads. Future looks brighter than a few years ago imo. When it was the same old faces and legs with lots of miles on the clock.

If I was Horan I would start cagey and try and play on the break - or transitions/turnovers as he loved to call it on SKY. Mayo need goals probably two/three to win and have to keep Dublin to one/none. Dublin will probably get about 20 points (in total) I would say. So that is around the the target Mayo have to aim for.

It almost feels like a 'free shot' for Mayo as many will give them no chance. Should be less pressure. If Mayo are in the mix in the last few minutes of the game how will they cope with the weight of history. Dublin don't have that weight no five in row target now either.

Am I nervous as a Dub fan? Honestly, not in the slightest I was VERY nervous at year though going for five.

This year feels less important especially because of covid19 etc added in. Means the world to Mayo though still - obviously!

Interesting that you say 20 points. Andy Moran always gave that number as the score to get to after 2016 and 2017 to beat Dublin.

Its a very strange one. It still would mean the world to us to win it of course. But I'm not sure how it will all hit home when we can't be in Croke Park for the game.

Hoping for a nail biter like 16 or 17 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

muddle84 wrote:
    how are you all feeling about the final and your chances against Mayo, or Mayo's chances against you is probably a more fitting way of putting it. Are you nervous or confident?

muddle84 wrote:
    As a Mayo fan, I'm absolutely delighted to be back in a final full stop. All the better that its against Dublin but i'm not confident we will get as close to Dublin as 2017 especially based on the result last year. But I can't help but get excited and wonder what if!

Less than half of mayos starters in last year's semi will start this year so I wouldn't be reading too much into that.

I think mayo will need to score at least 20 points to beat Dublin. I mentioned earlier in the thread that in my opinion the dubs defence is the best I've seen in a long time. Not everyone agrees, fair enough, it's all opinions.

I just can't see mayo getting to that total. I've no doubt this will be dublins toughest game but I just cannot see mayo doing it.

The only thing worrying me is the amount of new...ish players in the mayo team and the unknown so to speak.

I just hope that with the time of year, the weather isn't blowing a gale. We've had some outstanding matches since 2006 between the two and it would be a shame if we had a crap day for it.

Nothing to do with it being a possible leveller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just a reminder of the AI footballl championship score lines between Mayo and Dublin since 2012

27 August 2006 Mayo 1-16 - 2-12 Dublin Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final

2 September 2012 Mayo 0-19 - 0-16 Dublin Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final

22 September 2013 Dublin 2-12 -1-14 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland final

30 August 2015 Dublin 2-12 -1-15 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final

5 September 2015
    Dublin 3-15 - 1-14 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final replay

18 September 2016 Dublin 2-09 - 0-15 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland Final

1 October 2016
    Dublin 1-15 - 1-14 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland Final Replay

17 September 2017 Dublin 1-17 - 1-16 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland Final

10 August 2019 Dublin 3-14 - 1-10 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Less than half of mayos starters in last year's semi will start this year so I wouldn't be reading too much into that.

I think mayo will need to score at least 20 points to beat Dublin. I mentioned earlier in the thread that in my opinion the dubs defence is the best I've seen in a long time. Not everyone agrees, fair enough, it's all opinions.

I just can't see mayo getting to that total. I've no doubt this will be dublins toughest game but I just cannot see mayo doing it.

The only thing worrying me is the amount of new...ish players in the mayo team and the unknown so to speak.

I just hope that with the time of year, the weather isn't blowing a gale. We've had some outstanding matches since 2006 between the two and it would be a shame if we had a crap day for it.

Nothing to do with it being a possible leveller :)

Depends on what ref is referring the game, if it's like Gough yesterday he couldn't wait to give a free to Mayo then that will keep them in the game longer. A poor ref might keep Mayo in the game for 50 minutes before the onslaught comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

crossman47 wrote: »
    My God! I've seen it all now. A Dub complaining about a possible ref with all the built in advantages they have already.

not a dub

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

10 August 2019 Dublin 3-14 1-10 Mayo Croke Park All-Ireland semi-final

I reckon it'll be somewhere close to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Depends on what ref is referring the game, if it's like Gough yesterday he couldn't wait to give a free to Mayo then that will keep them in the game longer. A poor ref might keep Mayo in the game for 50 minutes before the onslaught comes.

Gough got the drawn final last year so I would say it will be someone else.

I reckon it'll be somewhere close to this.

It is funny how Dublin have managed similar totals in the games - all around the 20 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

It is funny how Dublin have managed similar totals in the games - all around the 20 mark.

I also would expect the points tally to be greater than any of the previous games. Somewhere between 18 - 22.

I also would expect the points tally to be greater than any of the previous games. Somewhere between 18 - 22.

Would agree, with no supporters means less pressure, when Mannion and Costello come on I would expect them to give an exhibition in point taking.

muddle84 wrote: »
    Interesting that you say 20 points. Andy Moran always gave that number as the score to get to after 2016 and 2017 to beat Dublin.

Its a very strange one. It still would mean the world to us to win it of course. But I'm not sure how it will all hit home when we can't be in Croke Park for the game.

Hoping for a nail biter like 16 or 17 again!

I had 20 points in my head before I looked at past results, must be seared in brain at this stage.

It seems to be the benchmark. Knowing the way Horan talks on telly, he will be breaking the game management into quarters. Plus he loves his crucial final quarter.

Feels odd not going though. Was at Football Finals from 2011-2013 (because dublin were in minor 2012 so Saw Donegal v Mayo) and then was at 2015-2019 ones.
    Always made sure to get value out of my ticket, and watch the minors game no matter who is playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not sure about Gough. He can be awful pernickitty about little stuff like throwing the ball up for fractional distance violations on kick outs and ball being slightly over the line for 45s and sidelines. Other than that he tends to let games flow in play.

I thought Brannigan did well the other night, but he's obviously out of the frame.

Dublin Joe anyone :)

Horan could do another psych op on him like 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

One concern I would have is by the law of averages Mayo bound to win one sometime they have not been far off us .Am still not certain where we are compared to other years we have won easy but have beat teams that were never contenders and could be the first test for the line to make changes in a game that is a real contest .Hopefully my concerns are unfounded of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Nah lads I am not buying it. It can't be a coincidence that Cavan did not win Ulster for 23 years until covid 19 hit. Plus it can't be a coincidence that Tipp won Munster because of covid 19 after 85 years. Fair play to them for taking their chance though.

If both teams even come near to it again in the next 2/3 years or win it. I will say I was wrong and youse were right.

I say the same thing about Dublin's u21 win v Tyrone in 2003. I don't really think it was fair on Tyrone because they had key players playing senior a few weeks before after mad celebrations. Dublin were walloped the year before by Galway.
    It was more circumstance that contributed to Dublin's victory then. As is the circumstances now in my opinion.

If Dublin, win Sam this year I won't really count it - not properly. Yeah it is a win but....
    How can you really count it? The season is all over the shop - long rest - condensed games - colder weather - no back door - no super 8's - no crowd.

Massive asterix, not a normal year. It affected teams in different ways some positive and some negative. Dublin got a rest!

I am delighted Dublin won the 5 in a row in 'normal years'. Because this year has been a bit farcical in my opinion

As I said, if Cavan and Tipp do similar (as this year) in the next 2-3 years and show consistency. It will show it was not fluke. And I will admit that I was wrong.

You are aware Cavan were in the Ulster Final last year? They lost to Donegal by five points.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    You are aware Cavan were in the Ulster Final last year? They lost to Donegal by five points.

Fair enough, they lost by five in 2019 though.
    Beating Monaghan was a scalp, however Cavan were fortunate that Donegal and Tyrone were on the other side of the draw - both years.

If Cavan have a good year next year.
    Ulster final again for example, or beat a big gun's in a games they are not supposed to win.

It will prove Cavan are on the up, and it is no flash in the pan. And I was wrong to say this year was a 'one off'.

Would be very hard to judge Cavan based on the league next year, as they should walk div 3.

One concern I would have is by the law of averages Mayo bound to win one sometime they have not been far off us .Am still not certain where we are compared to other years we have won easy but have beat teams that were never contenders and could be the first test for the line to make changes in a game that is a real contest .Hopefully my concerns are unfounded of course .

If you go by the odds, they give Mayo one chance in seven of winning the title (including extra time etc) and two in eleven of winning in normal time.

I wouldn't be backing Dublin at those odds, as a betting chap who does not mind taking the odds if they are value.

Fair enough, they lost by five in 2019 though.
    Beating Monaghan was a scalp, however Cavan were fortunate that Donegal and Tyrone were on the other side of the draw - both years.

If Cavan have a good year next year.
    Ulster final again for example, or beat a big gun's in a games they are not supposed to win.

It will prove Cavan are on the up, and it is no flash in the pan. And I was wrong to say this year was a 'one off'.

Would be very hard to judge Cavan based on the league next year, as they should walk div 3.

Cavan went from Division 3 in 2013 to 1 in 2017. Then went back to 1 in 2019 whilst making an Ulster Final then and winning Ulster this year.

Yet you expect another final appearance in the next 2-3 years to prove we’re on the up!?

You’re basing a lot on League position and we’ve a manager has openly said League is League and championship is championship.

He sent out 8 debutants vs Kildare in the League when one victory in our last two games probably would have got us promotion.

You’re basing a lot on League position and we’ve a manager has openly said League is League and championship is championship.

He sent out 8 debutants vs Kildare in the League when one victory in our last two games probably would have got us promotion.

Good manager as Micky Graham is I think he is one of the rare one's that views the 'league as the league'.

That is an old fashioned way of thinking. And I think it is one of the major things holding Gaelic football back imo.

It must be an 'Ulster football thing' similar to how Munster views the hurling. Or Cavan thing because a 23 year drought?

Because I think most managers see the league as important, and some view it as more important than the championship.

• Advertisement

Good manager as Micky Graham is I think he is one of the rare one's that views the 'league as the league'.

That is an old fashioned way of thinking. And I think it is one of the major things holding Gaelic football back imo.

It must be an 'Ulster football thing' similar to how Munster views the hurling. Or Cavan thing because a 23 year drought?

Because I think most managers see the league as important, and some view it as more important than the championship.

The only teams who would view the league as more important than championship are teams like Carlow & Leitrim, whose only chance of achieving a modicum of success is promotion in the League.

To be honest, you seem to be making this up as you go along. For example, Cavan need to make two Ulster finals to be seen as consistent - they already have.

You also stick Monaghan in your too seven teams yet they are on a downward curve - players aging, little coming through, the end of McManus getting nearer. I would place Armagh above them in the Ulster pecking order and with the players Down have coming through they will soon surpass them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Folks, this isn't a Cavan thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Rolo2010 wrote: »

Is there one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is there one?

There is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Rolo2010 wrote: »

It is only a matter of days since Dublin played Cavan an All Ireland senior football semi final.

A Dublin poster is happy to engage in a reasoned discussion with a Cavan poster.

If you believe this county thread is becoming bogged down in non Dublin talk please use the report function.

Thread spoiling is specifically referenced in the forum charter.

I do not believe we have reached such a point as yet.

Cavan king seems to be a reasonable chap.

And far be it from me to defend Selig's moderation.... ahem :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Cavan king seems to be a reasonable chap.

And far be it from me to defend Selig's moderation.... ahem :-)

Don’t mean to derail the thread but I take exception to a poster diminishing our achievements this year on the basis that they only occurred because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Don’t mean to derail the thread but I take exception to a poster diminishing our achievements this year on the basis that they only occurred because of Covid.

You're absolutely grand. It's been an enjoyable conversation. Forr'ners are always welcome.

I'd worry about Rolo's anger come the post-AI/pre-League period and the talk turns to coddle.

Jayus, looks like I started a row and walked away (didn't even know it happened)

As me Dad would say "typical Dub starting rows."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm starting to warm to the idea of 10-in-a-row tbh.

Advertisement