Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

franglan wrote: »
    Who are we looking as All Stars. I'd have Fitzsimons, Fenton, Kilkenny as absolute certs. Would think Rock, Cluxton, McCarthy, Con in in that order too. Obviously depends how final goes too. Any thoughts.

I am struggling to add to that list be honest. They normally only pick around 7 if a team wins Sam.

Would McDaid get an all star as there seems to be general media hype about him now.

I suppose you would have to factor in the Tipp, Cavan and Mayo lads as they are bound to get at least one/a couple each.
    They could easily give the keeper all star to Raymond Galligan from Cavan as he is high profile for them.

But then they always move fellas around in positions to accommodate them. Plus would that Cork fella Mark Keane get an all star on his goal alone v Kerry or will actually be judged on overall contribution?

Hard to know the All-Stars always feel like a school sports day end of year awards. They might give it to someone who 'tried their best'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

ShyMets wrote: »
    Could this be the first year in a long time that Kerry have no All Stars. You would think Dublin getting to the final guarantees at least 5 All Stars

Don't think anyone from kerry is getting near it tbh. I take it All Stars are champ games only?

Could this be the first year in a long time that Kerry have no All Stars. You would think Dublin getting to the final guarantees at least 5 All Stars

Never thought of that you could be right. Clifford was terrible against Cork. And when you compare it to his by his normal high standards, it makes it seem even worse.

I checked there, the last time the Kingdom got no all-stars was in 2012.

Kerry got knocked out in the Munster SF by Cork that year as well.
    They were beaten by Donegal in the AI QF

Don't think anyone from kerry is getting near it tbh. I take it All Stars are champ games only?

The Championship games are fresher in the memory as well. Personally I think they should base it on League and Championship. It is normally given on Championship only I think. But with less games than normal this year will they still just base it on the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The last full back who won player of the year was that Moyinhan fella from the Kingdom back in 2000.

He won the full back position in team of the century i think but i only remember him playing there once. He was fantastic centre half.

He was old fashioned sort of back in that he rarely came forward and remember him being badly exposed when Dublin threw kitchen sink at it in second half in Thurles and probably worst game was at full back in the next game when they were taken apart by Meath.

Here's a trivia one few will get. Moynihan's nickname was Pony. Which he shared with another Kerryman of the 1970s who won one All Ireland.

Two stand tickets for the final to the correct answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He won the full back position in team of the century i think but i only remember him playing there once. He was fantastic centre half.

He was old fashioned sort of back in that he rarely came forward and remember him being badly exposed when Dublin threw kitchen sink at it in second half in Thurles and probably worst game was at full back in the next game when they were taken apart by Meath.

Here's a trivia one few will get. Moynihan's nickname was Pony. Which he shared with another Kerryman of the 1970s who won one All Ireland.

Páidí had that nickname too i think? He has more than one all ireland though!

I would have guessed John Power, Sheehy, Paidi or Spillane. I have no idea in other words!

Only found out yesterday that Jack McCaffery's nickname was not Jack Flash. But the 'Dart from Clontarf' according to wiki. I never heard that nickname I am annoyed with myself.

No correct answer so far!

Donie O'Sullivan? I have no idea if Pony was his nickname but i think he only won one and his first name rhymes with Pony!

muddle84 wrote: »
    Donie O'Sullivan? I have no idea if Pony was his nickname but i think he only won one and his first name rhymes with Pony!

Nope. Donie the Pony would be too unsubtle for a Kerry person ;)

Clue: He would be better known for his post football career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Martin Ferris is the answer Bonniedog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mickey "Ned" O'Sullivan? Ned the pony!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

The answer is Paidi O Se. Nicknamed the pony cos he took over playing centre back from 'The horse' who was Tim Kennelly.

I'll PM my address for the tickets :pac:

dobman88 wrote: »
    The answer is Paidi O Se. Nicknamed the pony cos he took over playing centre back from 'The horse' who was Tim Kennelly.

I'll PM my address for the tickets :pac:

Páidí won more than one all ireland though.....

Martin Ferris is the answer Bonniedog!

First prize to the Banner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Páidí won more than one all ireland though.....

Ah yeah, assumed that was a typo. Paidi was the pony anyway. Not aware of another one. Fellas from that era with just the one all Ireland wouldnt be well remembered.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

First prize to the Banner :)

Whoohoo plenty of celebrations in the banner4change household this evening!

Best of luck to the Dubs next Saturday week Bonniedog also!

dobman88 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, assumed that was a typo. Paidi was the pony anyway. Not aware of another one. Fellas from that era with just the one all Ireland wouldnt be well remembered.....

Or any Kerry era I think! ;)

Whoohoo plenty of celebrations in the banner4change household this evening!

Best of luck to the Dubs next Saturday week Bonniedog also!

He won under 21 in 1973 and according to people who know these things would most likely have been on the great senior team - most of whom were on the same 21s - had events not intervened.

Or any Kerry era I think! ;)

There is a few in the current era thanks to you lot! Paul Geaney and James O'Donoghue only have the one each!

• Advertisement

There is a few in the current era thanks to you lot! Paul Geaney and James O'Donoghue only have the one each!

Would suprised they finished on that. Next 4/5 years at Semi Final AI stages should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

With how Tipp and Cavan played in the Championship I'd say they'll make up the bulk of the non-Mayo and Dublin All-stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Interesting reading, particularly around the spilt season.

I await the thoughts of a certain Journalist from Kildare

Interesting reading, particularly around the spilt season.

I await the thoughts of a certain Journalist from Kildare

:D Yeah. I thought Costello made a lot of valid points. In fairness to him he is never one for holding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

When did a whole range of Marty Whelan Christmas cards become a thing!?

Gaa one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

When did a whole range of Marty Whelan Christmas cards become a thing!?

Gaa one and all.

Whelan or Morrisey? It’s a charity thing with Morrisey

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

will centra be selling them like the hurling final?

• Advertisement

Is that the official programme?

Advertisement