Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Any link for the full Mayo 2019 game?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jeez the city is fierce quiet. Just the year it is I suppose.

Apart from a few houses in Cabra and Finglas I’ve barely saw a bit of bunting or a banner anywhere.

Or else too comfortable and expectant of a result. Let’s be honest. This is no Ulster or Munster championship upset scenario, as we saw with the semi finals, upsets don’t tend to happen in Croke Park at this stage.

Mayo doing this would be akin to Ireland winning the next rugby World Cup. Forever bridesmaids, but always rated on the top 4 or 5 in the game.

If Mayo were playing NZ or France in the QF they wouldn't be in the final.

FWIW, I think it'll be a close tense awful affair like 2013.

I can't wait.

However, in my stupidity, I thought it was on Sunday (fairweather me) and I have arranged to be in Mount Merrion (that well known Dublin GAA haunt) earlier in the day, so I'll be watching it with quite a crowd of private school neophytes! Not a bowl of coddle among us!

Given that we have won every AIF that I have ever been to I'm concerned that that hoodoo won't be broken, like the wearing of the 2007 jersey that I have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

All 19 Dublin goals from the 2019 Championship (If you are from Mayo look away now!)

Some lovely goals there. The finish from Fenton v Cork was outstanding.

Struggling to pick a favourite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some lovely goals there. The finish from Fenton v Cork was outstanding.

Struggling to pick a favourite though.

What occurred to me is that many of them seemed very similar, and how important Jack McCaffery is in given an extra dimension.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Dublin subs for tommorow
    16. Comerford
    17.Basquel
    18. Byrne
    19. Costello
    20. Howard
    21. Lahiff
    22. Lowndes
    23. McCauley
    24. Mannion
    25. McMahon
    26. Kev Mcmanamon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No surprises it seems so hopefully get the job done always get a bit nervous before these games .We are on some run of winning final appearances must be our longest will have to look it up . Also hopefully wins for the under 20's and ladies as well am very greedy I know but that's would really make the Christmas .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Surprised we haven't seen McCauley all season taught he looked very good in most games last year.

I assume won't see him in the final either. Personally, I think he would have had more to offer then say Philly coming off the bench but I'm, not the manager :P.

Sure, look at it this way Brian Howard and Paul Mannion are far too good to be warming the bench as well then look at Costello too but just shows the options we have. Im sure most teams would kill to have those lads in their teams.

Thing is two or three of them fellas on the bench could well call it a day after Saturday so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

muddle84 wrote: »
    Dublin subs for tommorow
    16. Comerford
    17.Basquel
    18. Byrne
    19. Costello
    20. Howard
    21. Lahiff
    22. Lowndes
    23. McCauley
    24. Mannion
    25. McMahon
    26. Kev Mcmanamon

That's the bones of another Div 1 top team there.
    Don't tell MayoMafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭billyhead

Surprised we haven't seen McCauley all season taught he looked very good in most games last year.

I assume won't see him in the final either. Personally, I think he would have had more to offer then say Philly coming off the bench but I'm, not the manager :P.

Sure, look at it this way Brian Howard and Paul Mannion are far too good to be warming the bench as well then look at Costello too but just shows the options we have. Im sure most teams would kill to have those lads in their teams.

Thing is two or three of them fellas on the bench could well call it a day after Saturday so who knows!

Cluxton @ Philly Mac might call it a day if we win tomorrow night. Although not on the bench COS might retire.

Mayo crowd on the Mayo thread seemed rattled when they saw the Dublin bench compared to theirs. I think it is the major difference atm. Dublin spoilt for choice for game changers if needed.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Cluxton @ Philly Mac might call it a day if we win tomorrow night.

Probably Kevin McManamon as well he is 34

How many of them were there in 11? That will be 8 then... all records beaten or equalled?

Kevin will be there for 7 in a row scoring the winning goal off the bench against Kerry in the last minute :D

How many of them were there in 11? That will be 8 then... all records beaten or equalled?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0915/1076030-dublins-famous-five-and-their-magnificent-seven/

"Five men have won all seven Celtic Cross medals on the field of play in 2011, ’13, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18 and ’19 - Stephen Cluxton, Philly McMahon, Cian O’Sullivan, James McCarthy and Kevin McManamon.

Cluxton and McCarthy started every final, including draws and replays in 2016 and ’19, O’Sullivan, McMahon and McManamon came off the bench on at least one occasion.

This famous five with their magnificent seven are the players who stand on step away from another piece of history.

Five members of Kerry's Golden Years team have eight All-Ireland medals won in 1975, ’78-’81 and ’84-’86. They are solid gold legends in the form
    of Paidí Ó Sé, Mikey Sheehy, Pat Spillane, Denis 'Ógie’ Moran and Ger Power."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0915/1076030-dublins-famous-five-and-their-magnificent-seven/

"Five men have won all seven Celtic Cross medals on the field of play in 2011, ’13, ’15, ’16, ’17, ’18 and ’19 - Stephen Cluxton, Philly McMahon, Cian O’Sullivan, James McCarthy and Kevin McManamon.

Cluxton and McCarthy started every final, including draws and replays in 2016 and ’19, O’Sullivan, McMahon and McManamon came off the bench on at least one occasion.

This famous five with their magnificent seven are the players who stand on step away from another piece of history.

Five members of Kerry's Golden Years team have eight All-Ireland medals won in 1975, ’78-’81 and ’84-’86. They are solid gold legends in the form
    of Paidí Ó Sé, Mikey Sheehy, Pat Spillane, Denis 'Ógie’ Moran and Ger Power."

Jesus, I was sure Fitzsimons had 7 also.

Kevin will be there for 7 in a row scoring the winning goal off the bench against Kerry in the last minute :D

That would be lovely. And the ref not calling steps or something.

--
    --
    Kevin Mc plays the same style and all only knows one way - head down and run. Only difference is the pace has slowed a bit.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Jesus, I was sure Fitzsimons had 7 also.

You are right yeah I think RTE left him out unless he did not play in a year or in a final? "On the field of play" definition.

https://www.the42.ie/denis-ogie-moran-record-all-ireland-medals-4813079-Sep2019/

"Stephen Cluxton, Michael Fitzsimons, Cian O’Sullivan, Darren Daly, James McCarthy, Michael Darragh MacAuley, Bernard Brogan, Eoghan O’Gara, Philly McMahon and Kevin McManamon lifted the Sam Maguire for the seventh time at the weekend."

That would be lovely. And the ref not calling steps or something.

--
    --
    Kevin Mc plays the same style and all only knows one way - head down and run. Only difference is the pace has slowed a bit.

Tanks dont need pace!!

You are right yeah I think RTE left him out, unless he did not get to play one of the years?

The quiet man on the team. Just does the job and gets on with it. Can sort of understand why he may be overlooked by 'outsiders'.

List of centra shops with match programme:

https://centra.ie/all-ireland-final-match-programme

(couldn't find supervalu list)

• Advertisement

You are right yeah I think RTE left him out unless he did not play in a year or in a final? "On the field of play" definition.

https://www.the42.ie/denis-ogie-moran-record-all-ireland-medals-4813079-Sep2019/

"Stephen Cluxton, Michael Fitzsimons, Cian O’Sullivan, Darren Daly, James McCarthy, Michael Darragh MacAuley, Bernard Brogan, Eoghan O’Gara, Philly McMahon and Kevin McManamon lifted the Sam Maguire for the seventh time at the weekend."

Yeah I was sure there was more than 5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

For those of you of a superstitious or sentimental nature, there's a horse called Hill Sixteen running at Haydock tomorrow in the 3 mile chase at 2.40.

Has a good chance and loves the mud. Be around 7/2 tomorrow I'd say.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    For those of you of a superstitious or sentimental nature, there's a horse called Hill Sixteen running at Haydock tomorrow in the 3 mile chase at 2.40.

Similar odds to John Small getting a yellow card which might be a safer bet!! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    (11/4 on PP)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Similar odds to John Small getting a yellow card which might be a safer bet!! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    (11/4 on PP)

Now now!

Rarely if ever bet on Dublin but the spread at -6 is not unattractive if a chap was to be of the view that a hammering might be on the cards.

I can never form a rational view when they are playing a big team, and past history other than last year's semi final would point to another cliff hanger. Who knows.

(11/4 on PP)

I laughed at this now I feel guilty. What if I jinx it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

But the owners colours could be a bad omen....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Jesus -6 is buying money , what price? as a spectacle think it will be a poor show. Dublin by 12-15 , Dublin 3-18 Mayo1-12

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Jesus -6 is buying money , what price? as a spectacle think it will be a poor show. Dublin by 12-15 , Dublin 3-18 Mayo1-12

Ya see, this kind of talk has been going around before every Dublin - Mayo final, and every time it's been a nail biter.

Personally I think it's going to be close. It's 2020, the year were it seemed that anything that could happen, has happened, so I'm nervous. You couldn't get a pin up my arse with a jackhammer, that's how nervous I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

You know your horses

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ya see, this kind of talk has been going around before every Dublin - Mayo final, and every time it's been a nail biter.

Personally I think it's going to be close. It's 2020, the year were it seemed that anything that could happen, has happened, so I'm nervous. You couldn't get a pin up my arse with a jackhammer, that's how nervous I am.

Not nervous myself at all. Feels like a bonus final 5 in a row done.I was mad edgey last year though. Fascinated is what I am now, so many new variables.

Advertisement