Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

The culchie GAA brain drain - not only of players who come to Dublin for work and play for Dublin clubs. Also those in admin and the culchies integrally involved in Dublin clubs and GAA. Many Dublin clubs were founded by culchies and the Dublin love of GAA was passed on by culchies.

Personally, I think that is the biggest imbalance. What if many of these 'exiled culchies' tied in with thier 'home counties/clubs' ...
    Maybe the 'Culchie Granny rule' is the ...

Why do you keep referring to other counties' players and supporters as "culchies"? And there's at least 5 other recent posts in the closed "The Leinster Championship is dead." thread that I can't quote plus numerous other times in other forums. I get that you're a hardcore Dublin supporter but that doesn't mean you have to be an ignorant narrow-minded Dubliner to the other teams or supporters.
    I don't think your posts should be censored but I just don't understand why you feel the need to call other teams and supporters "culchies", I mean I (and most people) don't use pejorative labels for other teams.

And please don't tell me that your family are "culchies" or that some of your best friends are "culchies" because that's just a cliche and just reinforces my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not nervous myself at all. Feels like a bonus final 5 in a row done.I was mad edgey last year though. Fascinated is what I am now, so many new variables.

That's how i feel as well. Looking forward to this one more than the other 7(or 9).

I was a wreck on each and every other one of those match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Cant believe all-ireland day is finally here. Can't wait for for the clock to strike 5.
    Anyway, hope its a decent match and best of luck to both teams.
    Wouldn't begrudge a Dubs win. Great bunch of players. My kids were just on about the traditional visit to Crumlin hospital. That prob can't happen this year, but I think it's remarkable that they did it year in year out. After the committment involved in winning an all-ireland, secluded away to a certain extent and then when everyone else is hungover as bejaysus, their priority is to visit a bunch of sick kids.

Still hoping Mayo can pull a rabbit from the hat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fierce wind a blowing. If its like this later there won't be too many shots from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Excellent preview on eir with Brolly and Brogan major. both going for a comfortable Dublin win as you might expect.

Brolly is really good on programmes like that. Gives him a chance to tell stories and give insights into big game days. He's just too smart and witty to last in dumbed down mainstream these days.

Other good news is that Sinead Aherne is down to start on Sunday and apparently over her "tweak."

Going to pee into the tent here, but fancy Cork to win that :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very low key around parts of Dublin 15 went to get the programme and local lads in shop no idea who was playing .

Very low key around parts of Dublin 15 went to get the programme and local lads in shop no idea who was playing .

Days of Dublin being other than a suburb of Liverpool or Lagos are numbered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And please don't tell me that your family are "culchies" or that some of your best friends are "culchies" because that's just a cliche and just reinforces my point.

They call me a jackeen! You seem to be deliberately looking for a row on the internet? I have already reported the post as I believe cross posting on threads and attacking posters is not permitted. The mods will now handle you. Your account is suspiciously new for someone who has gone to such an effort to cross post. Or maybe you don't know the rules? You also PM'd me as if it was a matter of urgency!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Other parts of the country would not get this at all. They would be in shock!

Dublin u20 team to play Galway

bQtaVjq.png

Galway team to play Dublin

1-Oran Burke

2-Ross Mahon 3-Sean Mulkerrin (Capt) 4-Eoin McFadden

5-Liam Boyle 6-Cian Potter 7-Jack Kirrane

8-Mathias Barrett 9-Brian Harlowe

10-Matthew Tierney 11-Darragh Silke 12-Tony Gill

13-Padraig Costello 14- Liam Costello 15-Rory Cunningham

• Advertisement

Other parts of the country would not get this at all. They would be in shock!

It is a bit depressing really. Even houses of people around me of people who are involved in club and regular all year supporters have nothing out.

Shows you how much community bonds - and they be tenuous enough as it is in parts of Dublin - have been broken this year.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It is a bit depressing really. Even houses of people around me of people who are involved in club and regular all year supporters have nothing out.

Shows you how much community bonds - and they be tenuous enough as it is in parts of Dublin - have been broken this year.

Yeah because then those that are not usually interested are dragged in they know something is involved. There has always been areas of Dublin who would not have much interest in it anyway because of the size of Dublin as well hard to create an atmosphere.

If driving down the country you can be sure that that even for club games they would have loads of club colours and signs out. Cars painted left in fields and the like.

And I would end up learning the local team coiours, and maybe even a few of the star names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Best of luck to both teams. I'm hoping for a cracker either way! I'm missing the banter walking around the capital this morning!

Dublin v Mayo team line ups offical programme.

If anyone wants to print it off and go marking the official programme while they are watching (one draw back of a download)

BjhSF2b.png

I see MDM in subs. Was he named on bench in other games? No Cian O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Getting nervous now. Hopefully we do what Micko has said defines a great team and hammer em. I don’t think that will happen. David Hickey seems to have upset a few lads on the Mayo forum. Anyway seat booked and off to get ready. Hon the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

ArielAtom wrote: »
    David Hickey seems to have upset a few lads on the Mayo forum.

I'm not surprised. Despicable comments from a man I once respected.

crossman47 wrote: »

It certainly lacked the grace that is common for former players, and it wouldn't be something I'd like to see becoming common

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Very strange comments. Really over the top , you’d rarely hear ex players speak like that about any county even ones they may have had serious battles with.

crossman47 wrote: »
    It certainly lacked the grace that is common for former players, and it wouldn't be something I'd like to see becoming common

At least he honest, will not win over neutrals though..
    If Dublin lose Hickey will look like a plank.

I wonder what Paidi O'Se would think looking down? He used to mark Hickey.

Hickey's main gripe seems to be Dublin are not given respect by O'Dywer etc.
    So he probably feels feck it, I am going to say it straight for the craic.

Plus he called the five in a row ages ago in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

You can be honest no problem, but in a more respectful manner

benji79 wrote: »
    You can be honest no problem, but in a more respectful manner

I understand that but Jim Gavin got critised for saying we "expect a tough game from xyz". No matter who they were playing. People called him disingenuous and taking the pee.

So Dubs can't win no matter what. Not saying Hickey is right, but I can see where is coming from. A lot of lack of respect for Dublin. Can see it a lot on boards calling them machines, only for money, splitting Dublin etc. Little mention of skill and quality.

Plus to top it off Dwyer said Dublin have to hammer a team in final to be considered great! So Hickey probably thinks if others don't give Dublin respect why should he give other counties plámás for the sake of it? It is clearly Hickey's reply to all the anti-Dub negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Farrell needs to get Howard on asap

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Mayo well in this Dessie will have decsions to make it seems we are just not on our game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Desperate,desperate stuff from us so far.

Christ, that's a soft black card. Especially considering we were they attacking team and it looked accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

To be up after that referring performance says a lot. Mayo lads just have to fall and they're getting a free.

We haven't sparked yet. More to come.

Great game all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Mayo have been the better side by a good bit, goals keeping Dublin in it. Fenton, Kilkenny, not having great games, Cluxton kick outs not great.Paddy Small just misses too much.

O'Shea should be getting a red for throwing that dig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Jesus the tunnel....some bad blood between the teams.

Advertisement