Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

kilns wrote: »
    Realistically if this was any other county but Dublin it would be buried in the Independent and hardly spoken of on social media, it has just triggered and awoken the anti Dublin brigade a bit earlier in the year than normal

They need something to cling on to. Its not hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

B65team wrote: »
    Absolute eejits.

Didn't they think that there would be eagle eyes watching out for something like this? It probably has been going on for a while which is why the photographer was there. Those not interested in GAA and seeing the GAA as privileged and "always getting special treatment" will love all of this and scream for repercussions.

And the pitch being down a quiet cul-de-sac was chosen for a reason (I know it's where they train sometimes!), but what a bunch of clowns.

Also, players being thick enough to arrive en-masse in their sponsor-branded cars would be a bit of a giveaway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The reason only 9 were caught was that the rest of the squad were away in Normandy on a cultural tour of battlefields and cemeteries......

Wonder if there was another session going on on the Southside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

largepants wrote: »
    You said above that it they would be sanctioned so you must have thought yourself that it was against the rules.

if they did technically break the rules but if they didnt then no

Every Kerry mans wet dream this.

Pat Spillane will be in soon to tell us it’s further proof the Kerry 4 in a row was the bhest.

I dont think Kerry can claim all the joy here!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭Rosita

Just remind me, these are still amateur players, yes? No?

Its some farce when people are crying and wailing about a few lads going to a park to do a bit of training, .

Yes, they are amateurs - that's the problem. If they were professional they'd be exempt from Level 5 restrictions. Key point really

People aren't crying and wailing about a few lads going to a park (a club GAA ground actually) and training. It's the fact that everyone is precluded from doing so right now. It's simple enough really when you're not looking to excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Against gaa and government rules but a non story????
    How does that work
    The rules are either obeyed or not. People have been slaughtered regularly in the media for lesser breaches.
    Same standards need to be applied here- need to be severe consequences

Again I’d urge people to contact the Guards- more the merrier

1850 715 815 call Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Every Kerry mans wet dream this.

Pat Spillane will be in soon to tell us it’s further proof the Kerry 4 in a row was the bhest.

Dont tar us all with the same brush ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Against gaa and government rules but a non story????
    How does that work
    The rules are either obeyed or not. People have been slaughtered regularly in the media for lesser breaches.
    Same standards need to be applied here- need to be severe consequences

Again I’d urge people to contact the Guards- more the merrier

Yeah, cos the current rules in place are a load of bòllox imo. So it's a non story. Lads meet up for a kick about, big deal.

The only ones outraged at this are people who despise the GAA or a successful Dublin team anyway.

And if you're contacting the guards you and your band of merry men. Well, that's just sad and I feel.pity for you.

Realistically if this was any other county but Dublin it would be buried in the Independent and hardly spoken of on social media, it has just triggered and awoken the anti Dublin brigade a bit earlier in the year than normal

Not true. Plenty made of Cork's breach a few months back. Yeah, a little more high profile here alright but that goes with the terrain for a more successful team. About 12 years ago Tomás Ó Sé and Gooch Cooper had a few pints (in separate towns I believe) during the championship and it was made out in the national media as if they were Oliver Reed and Shane McGowan let loose. Presumably because Kerry were high-profile particularly at that time.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    Not true. Plenty made of Cork's breach a few months back. Yeah, a little more high profile here alright but that goes with the terrain for a more successful team. About 12 years ago Tomás Ó Sé and Gooch Cooper had a few pints (in separate towns I believe) during the championship and it was made out in the national media as if they were Oliver Reed and Shane McGowan let loose. Presumably because Kerry were high-profile particularly at that time.

Kerry were never high profile. Medium at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yes, they are amateurs - that's the problem. If they were professional they'd be exempt from Level 5 restrictions. Key point really

People aren't crying and wailing about a few lads going to a park (a club GAA ground actually) and training. It's the fact that everyone is precluded from doing so right now. It's simple enough really when you're not looking to excuse it.

Well, you should have a look at the park across the road from me then. Groups of young lads training daily on the pitches in small groups. Great to see them keeping fit during these depressing times. Garda driving up and down daily and never say a word to them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Remember businesses are going under as they have to adhere to regulations.
    But these lads think knocking a ball about makes them special and means the rules didn’t apply

Trying to compare 9 lads kicking a ball around to the closure of hospitality businesses for example shows me the trolling is strong with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

BPKS wrote: »
    The fella Richie from the Dublin Supporters Facebook group who is on Newstalk at the moment is equating it to 9 fellas going to some shop called LIDDLES together.

Good man Richie.

Away with the fairies that lad. Saying if Irish Rugby and Soccer teams can meet and train and play then why cant the GAA players. Richie doesn't seem to understand the concept of Professional Team Pods and the fact these lads are kept in hotels while together and constantly tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Who does anything life?

They will be sanctioned end of, nothing story, time to move on

There have been much much worse breaches of Covid restictions than this
    if they did technically break the rules but if they didnt then no

Again I'd like to point out what you wrote above....'they will be sanctioned end of...' Your words not mine.

Now your asking if they broke the rules or not.

You don't know if you are coming or going.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

I've tried getting my head around this for a few hours now but I still cannot understand how the humble Dubs could have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Remember businesses are going under as they have to adhere to regulations.
    But these lads think knocking a ball about makes them special and means the rules didn’t apply

So now Dublin GAA players are the cause of businesses going under?

Because that's my OTT hot take on your OTT reaction. You've reported it to the guards. You've done your duty.

Wanna talk about football or will you skulk back to the long grass?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Kerry were never high profile. Medium at best.

Not entirely aware of how the scale of profile works or how it is measured with such precision but it makes the Dublin story getting headlines even less remarkable since a story about a medium profile team made them years ago, and it was only a breach of internal team protocols rather than a breach of restrictions which applies to the entire country as in this case.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah, cos the current rules in place are a load of bòllox imo. So it's a non story. Lads meet up for a kick about, big deal.

The only ones outraged at this are people who despise the GAA or a successful Dublin team anyway.

And if you're contacting the guards you and your band of merry men. Well, that's just sad and I feel.pity for you.

Your cheques' in the post.

Loads of training going on in Corkagh park last night right between 2 check points. The outrage is amped up when it's Dublin always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

largepants wrote: »
    I've tried getting my head around this for a few hours now but I still cannot understand how the humble Dubs could have done this.

Thats a good question.
    Perhaps the answer is 9 or so turned up before 7am and kicked a few balls and it was photographed.
    #Spy Wednesday.

JRant wrote: »
    Well, you should have a look at the park across the road from me then. Groups of young lads training daily on the pitches in small groups. Great to see them keeping fit during these depressing times. Garda driving up and down daily and never say a word to them.

Irrelevant. This was members of an inter-county football team retaining on a GAA facility. No comparison. Let's at least have a little honesty on the matter.

Loads of training going on in Corkagh park last night right between 2 check points. The outrage is amped up when it's Dublin always.

Which county teams were doing those training sessions?

Which county teams were doing those training sessions?

That's irrelevant. It's happening. The fact is, that its inter county players and that they're from Dublin this will be OTT.

So, they should be sanctioned and that's that.

The way most of you are going on you'd swear they were offering up the first born as sacrifices.

Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

How is it it? They broke regulations, have put others at risk and put the path out of lockdown at risk.
    Punishment should be worse than for cork and down as GAA was still considered elite sport at the time and absolutely should have legal consequences also.

Again OTT. How do you know they've put others at risk you know nothing about their lives, where they live etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Garda investigation has been launched according to the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Aside from the fact that they broke the law, in a sporting terms this session was blatant cheating pure and simple.

The Dublin senior football team are cheats pure and simple

Now you've gone from being OTT to just posting nonsense. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Garda investigation has been launched according to the wireless

Nice to see selective investigations from Gardai.
    Was there any for Cork previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

dobman88 wrote: »
    Technically, yes. It is against govt rules about no outdoor gatherings, within your 5k or not, and its against GAA rules of no activity to be taking place.

Saying that, I think it's a complete non story, it just looks pretty bad and the Dubs and GAA in general will be hammered for it.

Yes, the act itself was fairly harmless. Bunch of amatuer sportspeople meeting up for a training session. COVID risk more or less zero.

The problem is the optics. Dublin GAA perceive themselves to be above the law during a pandemic? Dublin GAA are cheating? GAA in general cant be trusted? Etc. Etc. Etc.

As a club GAA player it's pretty disappointing. We're the supposed lifeblood of the association but not even a mention of return to action for us plebs. The elites continue to break the rule with impunity. The GAA has been heading in the wrong direction for many years with club v County and this is just a symptom of a greater disease. Constant one-up-manship. Teams doing mad sh1t to gain 'an edge'. Remember the mud wrestling video from Kerry? Stupid stuff that no professional team would ever entertain. GAA is a hobby, not a profession. High time we go back to those ethos.

• Advertisement

That's irrelevant. It's happening. The fact is, that its inter county players and that they're from Dublin this will be OTT.

So, they should be sanctioned and that's that.

The way most of you are going on you'd swear they were offering up the first born as sacrifices.

Calm down.

Save your 'I'm so superior to you all' calm down nonsense. There was a breach of the restrictions and it was really really poor form. There's no harm in saying that. You're the only one saying about first borns as sacrifices in an attempt to defend it on the basis of a supposed over-reaction. Oldest and most transparent trick in the book.

Advertisement