Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Farrell is certain to get a suspension, so Dublin made a good PR move and suspended him before the GAA did. Smart enough move. Also removes pressure to fire him, which would have built otherwise.

Yes it was very well played on the part of the DCB they played it well.
    I admire the move, very shrewd.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Now the DCB accept that cheating took place, surely the next obvious question is....when did it start. We can all say with certainty it wasn't yesterday or this week, but did it happen last month, last year. I guess this will all, delightfully, play out over the next few weeks and months...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Now the DCB accept that cheating took place, surely the next obvious question is....when did it start. We can all say with certainty it wasn't yesterday or this week, but did it happen last month, last year. I guess this will all, delightfully, play out over the next few weeks and months...

I bet you it was just the once!!!😅

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A reminder that some people are getting outraged because a couple of healthy young lads went to a park and trained together.

Sometimes you need to look past the covid doctrines and actually have a think about what is happening, and what is happening is that people are crying because healthy young lads did some training in a park.

1. It wasn't in a park, it was on GAA property.
    2. It was in direct breach of the updated guidelines issued by GAA HQ two days ago

https://www.gaa.ie/news/covid-19-latest-update/
    These are hugely welcome developments and allow us finally to begin planning on-field activity for the remainder of 2021. However, it should also be noted that these dates are conditional and will very much depend on what happens in terms of the overall COVID-19 picture in the coming weeks. For that reason, it is more important than ever that no collective training sessions are held between now and the Government indicated return dates. Breaches in this context will not only be dealt with under our own Rules but would likely put the broader plan to return to activity in serious jeopardy.

Something to talk about until the championship starts anyway. Especially those fans from counties 'former greats' whose chances of Sam have become distant.

---

Nowhere did the DCB mention 'cheating' they just accepted the following:

'Dublin GAA acknowledge that, following an investigation this afternoon, there was a breach of Covid-19 guidelines yesterday morning'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm all out of popcorn. Anywhere on just eat I can get some delivered?

All these visitors and not a coddle recipe among 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

dunnerc wrote: »
    They did not assume that the rules didnt apply to them , pure nonsense talk
    Very much doubt they give a monkeys about winning back the media
    Seems to be bothering you though :rolleyes:

They clearly did think the rules didn't apply to them.

No I'm not bothered. I'm actually loving the fact that the humble, dressing rooming sweeping media darlings are not as angelic as they are made out to be. This makes the lockdown bearable. I'm in my element.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

In X number of years time will we be talking about this? Will it distract from the success?

The handwringing is amazing, if not impressive. It is being dealt with, it will be punished, and we will all get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

largepants wrote: »

No I'm not bothered. I'm actually loving the fact that the humble, dressing rooming sweeping media darlings are not as angelic as they are made out to be. This makes the lockdown bearable. I'm in my element.

You're not the only one in your element.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

And another childish nonsense post :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

'Dublin GAA acknowledge that, following an investigation this afternoon, there was a breach of Covid-19 guidelines yesterday morning'

You're surely being obtuse! The DCB accept a breach of the rules occurred. A breach of the rules to gain an advantage is known as...
    Cheating, gormdubhgorm, cheating...it's the textbook definition.

Come off the head of that pin you're dancing on and accept the reality. The DCB accept Dublin cheated, that's why sanctions were imposed. The next issue is when did it start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're surely being obtuse! The DCB accept a breach of the rules occurred. A breach of the rules to gain an advantage is known as...

Come off the head of that pin you're dancing on and accept the reality. The DCB accept Dublin cheated, that's why sanctions were imposed. The next issue is when did it start.

Sanctions were imposed because of a breach of govt health guidelines. Nothing to do with the rules of gaelic football.

Where you put the words 'textbook definition' after the word cheating or not does not make it relevant in this case.

The relevant section under the GAA rulebook is as follows:

Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association"

That rule refers to misconduct considered to have discredited the association and carries a minimum eight-week suspension for the team or unit in question, with fines, disqualification or even expulsion also possible.

Nowhere is there mention of cheating.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sanctions were imposed because of a breach of govt health guidelines. Nothing to do with the rules of gaelic football.

First of all, they're not "guidelines", it's the law, the restrictions are imposed by Statutory Instruments, not some circulars or recommendations.

And a county that breaks the law to gain an advantage...that's obviously far worse than breaking the rules of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

First of all, they're not "guidelines", it's the law, the restrictions are imposed by Statutory Instruments, not some circulars or recommendations.

And a county that breaks the law to gain an advantage...that's obviously far worse than breaking the rules of the game!

Your stretching the point to suit your argument. Nothing to do with the rules of the game.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association"

That rule refers to misconduct considered to have discredited the association and carries a minimum eight-week suspension for the team or unit in question, with fines, disqualification or even expulsion also possible.

Nowhere is there mention of cheating.

Always amusing when fellows start contradicting each other in defending the indefensible.

Lads, the DCB accept rules were broken, breaking rules to gain an advantage is cheating. That's just the way it is. If you have an issue with that, I'm afraid you're fighting the English language and common sense! :D

Now, you are both entitled to call it something else, but you can have no complaints when someone joins the dots and calls it what it is.

Cheating.

This is the second post in which you used 'humble'. As if this incident somehow means that xyz person is not humble. Which is a bit of a logical fallacy imo.

Humble means: 'not proud or not believing that you are important'

If anything when Dessie Farrell accepts his sanction from the DCB it will prove that he is humble and willing to accept his punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So let me get this straight you are suddenly comparing Dublin GAA not as amateur footballers. But are comparing them to the ideals held up by politicians and the judiciary?

Has this anything to do with the fact that Dublin are the greatest football team in history? So they should be held to the same standards as politicians? And not just their contemporaries in the GAA?

By virtue of Dublin's undoubted greatness on the Gaelic pitch does it mean you have even higher standards for them?

Or is it just a case of you wanting to really nail those dirty dubs?

Or is it both?

Both are wrong, which is worse is a personal opinion.

But the idea that a person could have issue with golfgate and not this incident is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Always amusing when fellows start contradicting each other in defending the indefensible.

Lads, the DCB accept rules were broken, breaking rules to gain an advantage is cheating. That's just the way it is. If you have an issue with that, I'm afraid you're fighting the English language and common sense! :D

Now, you are both entitled to call it something else, but you can have no complaints when someone joins the dots and calls it what it is.

Cheating.

Nowhere in rule 7.2 (e) is cheating mentioned, no matter how much you wish to shoehorn it in. It is a bit tabloidesque on your part imo.

Look again at the rule:

Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association”

This means behaviour that brings the GAA into a bad light. In other words from an optics point of view. Public relations and so forth. Which apply to this case.

If you were to use the word 'cheating' it could apply to a double hop of ball, steps and so on. Leading to chaos.

I am glad you are not in charge of the GAA rulebook that is for sure!

The rulebook is there for a reason and in this case rule 7.2 (e) applies. Not just in Dublin's case, but in the cases of Down and Cork.

Both are wrong, which is worse is a personal opinion.

But the idea that a person could have issue with golfgate and not this incident is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Not true because those involved in golfgate were politicians and held to a higher standard of accountability. You are now applying the same level of accountability upon GAA members. Who will already be punished under the relevant rules.

Also golfgate was indoors which was far worse, plus many were politicians. They have to have more accountability.

If any of the Dublin players were public representatives in government I would understand your argument. But they are not. They are GAA members and are punished under GAA rules first and foremost.

Did you have the same reaction when Cork GAA and Down GAA breached the covid19 guidelines? I would be interested to see if you had any posts on boards on that occasion?

• Advertisement

Nowhere in rule 7.2 (e) is cheating mentioned, no matter how much you wish to shoehorn it in. It is a bit tabloidesque on your part imo.

Look again at the rule:

Rule 7.2 (e) “Misconduct considered to have discredited the Association”.

If you're really arguing is that misconduct cannot be cheating, we both know that's laughable nonsense.

Come on, you've been dancing away on that pin for ages, you'll fall off...:D

It's cheating. Embrace it. Own it. Training when it's not allowed is cheating. In fairness, you're entitled to argue that other counties cheat, or it's not the most egregious cheating, but you can't say misconduct cannot be cheating!

Edit - I'm off to bed, but should add that while I disagree with you, at least you argued civilly, and for that you deserve more credit than some on each side getting all bent out of shape and abusive...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you're really arguing is that misconduct cannot be cheating, we both know that's laughable nonsense.

Come on, you've been dancing away on that pin for ages, you'll fall off...:D

It's cheating. Embrace it. Own it. Training when it's not allowed is cheating. In fairness, you're entitled to argue that other counties cheat, or it's not the most egregious cheating, but you can't say misconduct cannot be cheating!

Edit - I'm off to bed, but should add that while I disagree with you, at least you argued civilly, and for that you deserve more credit than some on each side getting all bent out of shape and abusive...

You can indeed say misconduct is not cheating.. It’s not cheating sorry, a breach of government regulations, yep. Bad judgement, yep..

It was a pretty unsavvy move by Farrell & co. all the same. You would be a little disappointed in his and his teams judgement on the matter....as both a supporter and county board member... the optics are not great... in the age of smart phones, social media yadda yadda there had to be too much opportunity for things to go south, things did go south... innisfails is beside a busy cemetery, constantly or regularly some footfall up Carr’s Lane on that basis , I was there visiting my grandparents grave earlier... somebody with links to the media or anti Dublin bias, sees a few cars arriving with players...two and two put together... hmmmm media will be all over it regardless of the situation....

You’d be disappointed in the selectors that somebody didn’t say to whomever broached the idea. “ok, if this was seen, not a good look, negative publicity, a distraction, let’s not”

Dublin sanction was savvy... they equaled the sanction as applied to Ronan McCarthy of Cork... that gives Croke Park practically zero wiggle room to go about trying to make an example of Dublin / Farrell.. which they ‘may’ or even might still have an appetite to do but would have fück all chance of it sticking if they did.

Still an unwelcome distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not true because those involved in golfgate were politicians and held to a higher standard of accountability. You are now applying the same level of accountability upon GAA members. Who will already be punished under the relevant rules.

Also golfgate was indoors which was far worse, plus many were politicians. They have to have more accountability.

If any of the Dublin players were public representatives in government I would understand your argument. But they are not. They are GAA members and are punished under GAA rules first and foremost.

Did you have the same reaction when Cork GAA and Down GAA breached the covid19 guidelines? I would be interested to see if you had any posts on boards on that occasion?

So these rules should only apply to politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

So these rules should only apply to politicians?
    Nowhere in that post has he suggested such a thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

largepants banned for trolling and breaching threadban.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

I disagree, they broke restrictions that are actually set down by the government that the gaa abide by. Should be dealt with by the garda first and foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

I disagree. The next issue for Dublin is what extra if any sanction the Gaa will impose to add to the DCB. Then its case closed. We move on whether you like it or not.

The next issue for Dublin after that is preparing to win our 7th All Ireland in a row.
    Up the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

A reminder that some people are getting outraged because a couple of healthy young lads went to a park and trained together.

Sometimes you need to look past the covid doctrines and actually have a think about what is happening, and what is happening is that people are crying because healthy young lads did some training in a park.

And a reminder that some people are missing the point entirely.

Im a Louth man so dont really care about Dublin GAA. If we were the only county in the all ireland we'd still manage to lose it so what Dublin do or dont do doesnt affect me :pac:
    Im not one of these that believes Dublin should be 'split up' or any of that rubbish. And I think the suspension of Farrell is way too much tbh

But they were wrong. Its as simple as that. All of the players should be releasing a statement today sayin they apologise, its an error of judgement etc

But this rubbish that their fans are coming out with "everyone else is doing it" "sure its not going to affect cases" "its others being jealous" "look after your own team" is fairly pathetic.

GAA HQ released a statement saying to be no gatherings of players etc. They were photographed doing it. Its open and shut.

Apologise and move on, thats what makes it old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I don't care for the Dubs but this really highlights the ridiculousness of a lot of these restrictions. We should be encouraging people to go outside and exercise in non contact groups in fresh air rather than pillorying them.

I'm sure they've been doing this for weeks and months, just like most other counties that want to compete, and the sky hasn't fallen down yet. The media are really letting Ireland down with the hysteria and fear mongering.

• Advertisement

Everyone is spooked now I’d say. Club here just sticking to the tracks and smaller groups on the artificial area training today and have stopped using the pitch.

Advertisement