Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I don't care for the Dubs but this really highlights the ridiculousness of a lot of these restrictions. We should be encouraging people to go outside and exercise in non contact groups in fresh air rather than pillorying them.

I'm sure they've been doing this for weeks and months, just like most other counties that want to compete, and the sky hasn't fallen down yet. The media are really letting Ireland down with the hysteria and fear mongering.

The restrictions are blanket bans with no nuance.

At this stage nuance should be part of it. We have had this stuff for long enough.

Golf is safe, they proven that during the last lockdown, that should be open, with no clubhouses, and insistence on one person per car travelling to the course.

Tennis the same.

Cycling on your own the same, going 4.99km down the road on your bike or 49.99km doesn’t matter.

Field sports can be conducted non contact in pods.

But this is an issue to be raised with the government, and the rules exist and are to be followed. Just because you don’t agree with them doesn’t mean you can ignore them.

The level of outrage about incidents over the last 12 months should not need to be explained to the players who breached the guidelines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Had it been established who took the pictures? Was it a local? Somehow I doubt it, so therefore it was an independent photographer, was he within his 5km, if not he was acting upon instructions of the Irish Independent and there should be consequences for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kilns wrote: »
    Had it been established who took the pictures? Was it a local? Somehow I doubt it, so therefore it was an independent photographer, was he within his 5km, if not he was acting upon instructions of the Irish Independent and there should be consequences for them?

Truth... but it could never be proven... newspaper can say they were sent annonymously...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Not if he works for the Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Journalists are allowed travel beyond 5km for work purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Posters calling for public apologies is comical. The GAA will deal with it and as they have set a precedent with the bans handed to Cork and Down management they will most likely go with the upper limit of 12 weeks. That’s it dealt with in what people thought was the correct manner with the previous transgressors. Was every Cork player asked to make a statement apologising? Was there the outrage on here about it? The posts from non Dubs looking for sackings and suspensions for players are merely showing their true colours. It’s Dublin so let’s have a pop at them. I do think they did wrong, but they must be dealt with as per the set precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭Rosita

I don't care for the Dubs but this really highlights the ridiculousness of a lot of these restrictions. We should be encouraging people to go outside and exercise in non contact groups in fresh air rather than pillorying them.

I'm sure they've been doing this for weeks and months, just like most other counties that want to compete, and the sky hasn't fallen down yet. The media are really letting Ireland down with the hysteria and fear mongering.

In fairness I'm not sure the sky falling in is really the way to judge anything. It'd be a very odd way to organise public policy. Though it enjoys remarkable popularity as a measure of things.

On the substantive issue, it doesn't highlight the ridiculousness of the restrictions. It highlights that these Dublin players broke the restrictions. No more no less. For anti-Dubs it will have shown how outrageous life is. For pro-Dubs count the All-Irelands. For others its just innocent ordinary working decent lads kicking a ball in a park. All of that is deflective nonsense. They broke restrictions and they shouldn't have. There are bigger crimes but they still knowingly did it and it was poor form. Let's just acknowledge that.

You may believe that restrictions are ridiculous. I might believe that a 30kms speed limit is ridiculous in some area. Others may think that their local pub in a parish where there hasn't been a case in months being closed is ridiculous. And that's all fine. But someone breaching those rules/laws/guidelines doesn't make them ridiculous or highlight their ridiculousness. That's just a false argument.

celt262 wrote: »
    An all Ireland win for Dublin this year would be tarnished due to this blatant cheating.

Nonsense. It'll be long forgotten about by then.

It was wrong. It was stupid. It shouldn't have happened. But it'll tarnish no All Ireland.

I think it is very obvious that this can be connected to professional work. In any event, and this seems to have escaped 90% of the population, the 5kms applies to exercise. There are countless "essential" reasons which are not covered in the 5kms limit - just that hardly anyone has actually read the government publication on this.

I heard David Brady saying yesterday on the radio that it shouldn't have happened when he can't "travel 10 kms to a funeral". He can travel the length and breadth of the country to a funeral and this is explicitly referenced in the government advice. Say what you like about politicians but they wouldn't get away with the inaccurate ill-informed rubbish others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Shooting the messenger now are we?

Anyway it's an irrellevance, journalists and photographers are permitted to travel as part of their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

celt262 wrote: »
    An all Ireland win for Dublin this year would be tarnished due to this blatant cheating. What else are they up to apart from the obvious money advantage they have over everyone else. PED'S?

You should delete your post straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I've kept away from this thread over the last 24hours.
    I've had my head in my hands in the absolute disappointment.
    The visual impact of this stupidity just tarnished everything.

The Gov will be thrilled as it takes our attention away from the mess of the vaccines, the HSE database, Pascal and his shoes with rte apologising.

These guys should've known better and used their collective minds to the of the impacts for some fitness drills and a kick about.

Do I think they are the only ones no not a chance, but they are the only ones caught. They are the only ones with a crown people want to knock.

They need to take the punishment, the potential fine from the Gardai and take it on the chin.

We have people who have not hugged another family member in over a year.
    Have watched family members be buried over Skype/YouTube etc.
    Trivial things like a child never seen a beach or the seaside.

They have let me down.

I'm a fan I'll support them, but now they need to suck it up and say sorry no excuses no hiding be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Shooting the messenger now are we?

Anyway it's an irrellevance, journalists and photographers are permitted to travel as part of their work.

I'd say that photographer had a strong - Kerry/Mayo accent? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

coolisin wrote: »
    I've kept away from this thread over the last 24hours.
    I've had my head in my hands in the absolute disappointment.
    The visual impact of this stupidity just tarnished everything.

The Gov will be thrilled as it takes our attention away from the mess of the vaccines, the HSE database, Pascal and his shoes with rte apologising.

These guys should've known better and used their collective minds to the of the impacts for some fitness drills and a kick about.

Do I think they are the only ones no not a chance, but they are the only ones caught. They are the only ones with a crown people want to knock.

They need to take the punishment, the potential fine from the Gardai and take it on the chin.

We have people who have not hugged another family member in over a year.
    Have watched family members be buried over Skype/YouTube etc.
    Trivial things like a child never seen a beach or the seaside.

They have let me down.

I'm a fan I'll support them, but now they need to suck it up and say sorry no excuses no hiding be honest.

I assume they would have thought they could train in Inisfails because it is a bit hidden and out of the way. Ironically between to cemeteries (Fingal and Balgriffin) given the tone and nature of the issue..

Those Dublin footballers would have had to suffer not going to funerals as well, not seeing kids on skype nephews, nieces etc as well. They are not robots despite what some might think.

Personally I think those Dublin footballers involved (plus Dessie) just got bored and did not think of the consequences if caught. As they thought they were grand and hidden in inisfails.

But the DCB did the best they could out of a bad situation. Whether the Gardaí get involved now that is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Am pretty shocked how naive the lads were if they thought they could keep this among themselves whether others are doing this or that is neither here nor there it was madness to think this would go unnoticed especially in these times .Everybody knows the limits on any activity so if you ignore them you do so knowing full well you are doing so and if you are high profile expect plenty of coverage if you do overstep the limits .

I assume they would have thought they could train in Inisfails because it is a bit hidden and out of the way. Ironically between to cemeteries (Fingal and Balgriffin) given the tone and nature of the issue..

Those Dublin footballers would have had to suffer not going to funerals as well, not seeing kids on skype nephews, nieces etc as well. They are not robots despite what some might think.

Personally I think those Dublin footballers involved (plus Dessie) just got bored and did not think of the consequences if caught. As they thought they were grand and hidden in inisfails.

But the DCB did the best they could out of a bad situation. Whether the Gardaí get involved now that is up to them.

Hard to reconcile the idea that they "did not think of the consequences if caught" with the idea that "they thought they were grand and hidden in Inisfails". If they gave no consideration to the consequences of being caught why would they have given consideration to "being grand and hidden"?

Surely if it was just such thoughtless absent-minded boredom-therapy they'd have done it out in the open, and then said, "oops, we just forgot....as you do".

And the references to the Dublin players suffering through missing funerals and not seeing lived ones makes it more stupid not less because it removes the lack of awareness factor from the argument.

Rosita wrote: »
    makes it more stupid not less because it removes the lack of awareness factor from the argument.

I never said it was a clever or the right thing to do. But I feel that the level of hysteria does seem a bit OTT from some quarters. For all intents and purposes they are civilians who are members of the GAA. Plus should be punished as civilians and members of the GAA. Not persecuted, demonised and harangued.

Am pretty shocked how naive the lads were if they thought they could keep this among themselves whether others are doing this or that is neither here nor there it was madness to think this would go unnoticed especially in these times .Everybody knows the limits on any activity so if you ignore them you do so knowing full well you are doing so and if you are high profile expect plenty of coverage if you do overstep the limits .

Easier to get away with that type of thing if you are down the country.
    Much harder in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No doubt more than four counties (including Mayo) have been guilty of breaching the rules, putting lives at risk. Sad to say, inter county should have been pulled indefinitely at the start of the pandemic. Counties were just not responsible enough to comply with the safety measures.
    Black episode for the GAA.

No doubt more than four counties (including Mayo) have been guilty of breaching the rules, putting lives at risk. Sad to say, inter county should have been pulled indefinitely at the start of the pandemic. Counties were just not responsible enough to comply with the safety measures.

I think it is in the GAA mindset to push rules to the limit and see how much they can get away with. Appeal after appeal and the like making a farce of any rule in the first place. Getting off on some 'technicality'. The CCCC and all that craic.

Unfortunately, in this situation it literally goes well beyond the GAA world, hopefully the players and Dessie now realise this, and show more cop on.

• Advertisement

Did the DCB authorize it ? Did they secretly know about it and turn a blind eye, or did Dessie and his gang leave them in the dark... ?

The last situation is unlikely but ‘if’ the Dublin management team were doing it 100% off their own bat, I’d be considering the position of Farrell and co or bollocking them from a height ... there would exist a breach of trust you couldn’t have a successful relationship based on trust and indeed good judgement based on that escapade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Any evidence to back that up? Not challenging you, but I haven't heard of this happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any evidence to back that up? Not challenging you, but I haven't heard of this happening at all.

I think he's on about Mayo GAA sneaking extra lads into December's All Ireland in the back of a van.

Strumms wrote: »
    Did the DCB authorize it ? Did they secretly know about it and turn a blind eye, or did Dessie and his gang leave them in the dark... ?

The last situation is unlikely but ‘if’ the Dublin management team were doing it 100% off their own bat, I’d be considering the position of Farrell and co or bollocking them from a height ... there would exist a breach of trust you couldn’t have a successful relationship based on trust and indeed good judgement based on that escapade.

No matter which angle from that you come from, it is not good.

If the DCB turned a blind eye and even half knew about it. That is not good at all.

If DCB didn't know anything about it and Dessie went off on his own with a few lads. That is not great either.

All that can be done now is Dessie to accept his punishment admit he was an eejit. Apologise etc.

Instead of being known now as the great Dublin team now. Some will tar them with that shower who broke the covid19 rules. Down and Cork will long be forgotten about. But the Dublin team's incident will be remembered because of their status in the game.

I was wondering how Jim Gavin feels now? Dessie has chipped away at a bit of the goodwill Dublin has received from GAA fans/pundits outside Dublin. Admiring players such as Fenton etc. Ambassadors of Gaelic Games etc. It could cast a shadow for a while.

If I was Jim Gavin I would be raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I think he's on about Mayo GAA sneaking extra lads into December's All Ireland in the back of a van.

Ah that's it.

No matter which angle from that you come from, it is not good.

If the DCB turned a blind eye and even half knew about it. That is not good at all.

If DCB didn't know anything about it and Dessie went off on his own with a few lads. That is not great either.

All that can be done now is Dessie to accept his punishment admit he was an eejit. Apologise etc.

Instead of being known now as the great Dublin team now. Some will tar them with that shower who broke the covid19 rules. Down and Cork will long be forgotten about. But the Dublin team's incident will be remembered because of their status in the game.

I was wondering how Jim Gavin feels now? Dessie has chipped away at a bit of the goodwill Dublin has received from GAA fans/pundits outside Dublin. Admiring players such as Fenton etc. Ambassadors of Gaelic Games etc. It could cast a shadow for a while.

If I was Jim Gavin I would be raging.

True, and I think Gavin would have been a thousand times more savvy then to get into the sort of tangle that Dessie and his cohorts managed to here. Both the type of person he was...plus being very aware and civic minded due to his career...it’s really poor, careless and thick of the current lot really...complete misread of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭threeball

The DCB only sacrificed Dessie in the hopes it would sate HQ that it was dealt with internally and hopefully avoid suspensions for the players. Thats looking highly unlikely at this stage. Either way they'll all be back before they meet a team where it might affect them championship wise. They'll even breaking the impending training ban to make sure they're right when they do get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

threeball wrote: »
    The DCB only sacrificed Dessie in the hopes it would sate HQ that it was dealt with internally and hopefully avoid suspensions for the players. Thats looking highly unlikely at this stage. Either way they'll all be back before they meet a team where it might affect them championship wise. They'll even breaking the impending training ban to make sure they're right when they do get back.

You love to see it.

I think it is in the GAA mindset to push rules to the limit and see how much they can get away with. Appeal after appeal and the like making a farce of any rule in the first place. Getting off on some 'technicality'. The CCCC and all that craic.

Unfortunately, in this situation it literally goes well beyond the GAA world, hopefully the players and Dessie now realise this, and show more cop on.

Yeah, that really is the mindset at inter county. And this is what it led to, illegal behaviour, risking the health of those close to the players.
    This is after maybe 30 years of under the table payments to managers, in some cases paying players to come home from abroad/not go abroad, breaking rules about winter training/club months.
    The culture really does need to change. GAA need to start showing some teeth and imposing some consequences for breaking rules.
    Am a bit surprised with Dessie Farrell, he was a major figure in the GPA but this is obviously putting players and their families at unnecessary risk.

• Advertisement

Actually what have the GPA said about this?

Advertisement