Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The legend that is Conal Keaney has announced his retirement from IC. What a servant to Dublin in both codes. 20yrs is some innings. Enjoy the retirement.
    crossman47 wrote: »
    Pity he didn't stick with hurling all the way. He would have made a big difference when a breakthrough was possible. He would have got much more kudos for a hurling all Ireland than being part of the football team.
    Or look at it differently, as he was probably the best dual player we have seen in a while.

The fella is a true Dub legend.
    How many Dublin fellas have won a senior Leinster title in both codes?
    That hurling League win was magic as well. The hurling exploits were maybe even greater than a football AI imo. When the relative strength of the teams and history is taken into account.

Nearly always affected a game. He must of have had some natural fitness to stay going so long. Really unselfish player on the field. Made other players look good because of his work ethic.

Better hurler than a footballer imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,416 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Noelle Healy has retired too... suprised at that... just 30 years of age but as frontline healthcare worker maybe it will be more a break to focus on her career... we shall see... met her a number of times as part of another health initiative she was involved in and an absolutly sound girl and was absolutly instrumental in contributing to the successes that the Dubs have enjoyed over the last few years... id say she'll be missed..

Strumms wrote: »
    Noelle Healy has retired too... suprised at that... just 30 years of age but as frontline healthcare worker maybe it will be more a break to focus on her career... we shall see... met her a number of times as part of another health initiative she was involved in and an absolutly sound girl and was absolutly instrumental in contributing to the successes that the Dubs have enjoyed over the last few years... id say she'll be missed..

Five all-ireland's. I see she has moved down to Cork Village/The Real Capital.
    Travelling for training etc would probably be too much of a hassle?

Four all-ireland's. I see she has moved down to Cork Village/The Real Capital.
    Travelling for training etc would probably be too much of a hassle?

Ahhh I see she’s lived and worked down in Cork before so...

3 hour drive minimum between both cities, more if from West Cork... you’d see why it’s pretty impractical to commit to the Dubs... they’ll miss her, a brilliant footballer and super nice girl, Dublin’s loss = Cork’s healthcare gain....

Strumms wrote: »
    Ahhh I see she’s lived and worked down in Cork before so...

3 hour drive minimum between both cities, more if from West Cork... you’d see why it’s pretty impractical to commit to the Dubs... they’ll miss her, a brilliant footballer and super nice girl, Dublin’s loss = Cork’s healthcare gain....

She is playing for a team in Cork called Mourneabbey (Clyda Rovers).

I just had a thought would she ever switch to the 'blood and bandage' crowd at intercounty level???? :eek:

• Advertisement

She is playing for a team in Cork called Mourneabbey (Clyda Rovers).

I just had a thought would she ever switch to the 'blood and bandage' crowd at intercounty level???? :eek:

Hahaha, nahhh I’d say she’d just get kidnapped to stay IF that did happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So it’s Wicklow or Wexford for the footballers.

So it’s Wicklow or Wexford for the footballers.

I am sure they are delighted....
    Pointless exercise for all concerned.

In the hurling I was wondering would Dublin even beat Antrim? The Dublin hurlers seem to be very shaky. I seem to remember years ago when Antrim beat Dublin in a shock win when the Dubs were going good with Dalo. Just sticks in my mind as a sickener.

I am sure they are delighted....
    Pointless exercise for all concerned.

In the hurling I was wondering would Dublin even beat Antrim? The Dublin hurlers seem to be very shaky. I seem to remember years ago when Antrim beat Dublin in a shock win when the Dubs were going good with Dalo. Just sticks in my mind as a sickener.

Good game for the hurlers. It will be hard but I’d expect them to win.Just looking forward to some games and hopefully be able to attend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dublin only bet antrim by a point under pat gilroy, God knows if they'd do any better now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

It's really unfortunate the GAA wouldn't have just gone for an open draw this year, put everyone in the pot and pair them off. Dublin v Wicklow/Wexford hardly whets anyone's appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Or look at it differently, as he was probably the best dual player we have seen in a while.

In a way its unfortunate we have had some fantastic dual players. Shane Ryan is another who only went back to hurling at the very end of his career was potentially our best dual player alongside Keaney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

MFPM wrote: »
    It's really unfortunate the GAA wouldn't have just gone for an open draw this year, put everyone in the pot and pair them off. Dublin v Wicklow/Wexford hardly whets anyone's appetite.
    Because there is no desire for it. An open draw where Dublin may play a division 4 side from another province will not whet anyone's appetite either. Same with Kerry or Donegal against division 4 sides from another province.
    An open draw should be last thing the main competition should be. It should have a league based competition with tiered cups after that giving multiple games as well as multiple chances for competition wins. Having all leagues completed before provincials start and then into the all ireland should change.

Good game for the hurlers. It will be hard but I’d expect them to win.Just looking forward to some games and hopefully be able to attend!!
    Bambi wrote: »
    Dublin only bet antrim by a point under pat gilroy, God knows if they'd do any better now

I would like a knockout after a league stage where the teams are of the same level.

Because there is no desire for it. An open draw where Dublin may play a division 4 side from another province will not whet anyone's appetite either. Same with Kerry or Donegal against division 4 sides from another province.
    An open draw should be last thing the main competition should be. It should have a league based competition with tiered cups after that giving multiple games as well as multiple chances for competition wins. Having all leagues completed before provincials start and then into the all ireland should change.

I'm not sure there is no desire for it, I think there is but those opposed hold sway particularly in Ulster, it's a bit of a myopic view in my view.

Obviously, Dublin have been drawn against a Division 4 team!!

However, in an open draw, they may have been drawn against Kerry or Donegal or Galway etc...that would whet the appetite!

I'm not suggesting it as a fix for all time but it would be a novel idea in the current context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I'm not sure there is no desire for it, I think there is but those opposed hold sway particularly in Ulster, it's a bit of a myopic view in my view.

Obviously, Dublin have been drawn against a Division 4 team!!

However, in an open draw, they may have been drawn against Kerry or Donegal or Galway etc...that would whet the appetite!

I'm not suggesting it as a fix for all time but it would be a novel idea in the current context.
    Does it really whet the appetite and does it really benefit the competition if you are losing some of the stronger sides very early on and much weaker sides get through solely based on luck of the draw.
    I dont see why players in many counties would want it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

While taking nothing from Cavan and Tipp last year they earned their wins on the day the semi finals to me looked bad with far too easy wins for Dubs and Mayo .We need better games at that stage it made poor viewing for the more casual viewer and did little to promote the games I feel .At any time there only a handful of teams who are real contenders and overall the latter stages need them there .

Does it really whet the appetite and does it really benefit the competition if you are losing some of the stronger sides very early on and much weaker sides get through solely based on luck of the draw.
    I dont see why players in many counties would want it either.

The FA Cup have been doing it successfully for over 100 years. In that time the 'stronger sides' in the main win the competition but it gives the weaker sides to have a cup run. I think many people would enjoy such a development.

One score can win a soccer game in GAA if a team is way better all over the pitch it usually results in a rout .An open draw sounds good and might have worth a go at this time but I don't think it would do that much overall unless it was your own county winning then I suppose you are happy enough . I was delighted last year as to beat Cavan and Mayo was an easy enough All Ire .

One score can win a soccer game in GAA if a team is way better all over the pitch it usually results in a rout .An open draw sounds good and might have worth a go at this time but I don't think it would do that much overall unless it was your own county winning then I suppose you are happy enough . I was delighted last year as to beat Cavan and Mayo was an easy enough All Ire .

Mayo were half decent in fairness they have blooded lots of new lads now. I do think it was a 'soft' all ireland though. And to be honest I don't count it in my head. February 2020 I would have laughed at you if you told me I would ever say that.

But the covid19, no crowds, no back door, Aussie Rules lads changing the fortunes of Tipp, Cork etc. Players who would otherwise have not remained in Ireland only for the pandemic.

It was surely no confidence that Cavan won Ulster for the first time since in the changed environment? OK you can argue that Cavan got to the Ulster final in 2019 and are improving, had to beat Monaghan.

But my feeling is Donegal were caught cold in the different set up. Plus the Ulster draw fell Cavan's way. With the big boys of Tyrone and Donegal on the opposite side of the draw to them.

The anomalies of Tipp and Cavan were shown up in the AI SF's they are just not of a consistent standard at the higher intercounty level. Might be alright on a one off game but that is it.

In a non-covid year with the old structures. It would have been Kerry back in the QF's at least along with Donegal. Maybe Cavan/Tipp getting a run in the qualifiers and being delighted with it.

The Dubs still won 'Sam' because not only the the talent of the players. But how the players are quick to adapt. Nothing taken for granted. Plus I believe the the Dublin management were clever with the training sessions.

https://www.the42.ie/gaa-players-faster-lockdown-joey-boland-5081315-Apr2020/

They took advantage of the lull in GAA to change up the players training to speed/endurance.

Which they never would have done in a 'normal' year.

• Advertisement

Wonder will there be any pp pass this year if any crowd at will will be allowed in .

Wonder will there be any pp pass this year if any crowd at will will be allowed in .

Jayus maybe they might only allow previous PP holders in first, as the crowd comes gradually back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Jack Keogh from Lucan Sarsfields has moved down to Wexford to play for Castletown. Was seemingly on the Dublin under-20 panel last year, and has linked up with the Wexford senior panel already.

Anyone know of him? I assume he must be handy enough? Asking for a friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Jack Keogh from Lucan Sarsfields has moved down to Wexford to play for Castletown. Was seemingly on the Dublin under-20 panel last year, and has linked up with the Wexford senior panel already.

That would instantaneously make them better than Wicklow!!!

I assume you mean Jack Keogh from Sarsfields in Kildare and NOT Lucan Sarsfields?

I assume you mean Jack Keogh from Sarsfields in Kildare and NOT Lucan Sarsfields?

Nope.

Local paper has it as Lucan Sarsfields.

EDIT: Apparently his training with the county is fabrication

Nope.

That is the country media for ya. Not to be trusted! :D

That is the country media lads stirring the ****e on whatsapp for ya. Not to be trusted! :D

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Don't see his name on Leinster transfer list. Haven't heard the name before.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Not only bad footballers, piss poor journalists to!!

Advertisement