Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin are well capable of playing great football, but it cannot be denied that there is a hell of a lot of recycling of the ball backwards and sideways in their play.

Dublin will be 10+ points up and you will still see the best players in the country turning back and recycling the ball rather than forcing a risky play.

I get it, it is the percentage play, it is smart and there is so much competition for places that the players will stick to the gameplan even when far in the lead.

But as a neutral we will see a hell of a lot of basketball style play when watching Dublin.

Dublin score heavily and attack swiftly, courageously and willfully...

What annoys people about Dublin is they have it in their locker to play possession keep ball football too when the game situation demands it...

If they are 4 points up with 10 minutes to go... the only way the opponent is getting back into it is by scoring, they cannot score without the ball, so fûcking keep it from them and in their half..away from Dublin’s goal... they are good at it..

No Hail Mary risky passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Strumms wrote: »
    Dublin score heavily and attack swiftly, courageously and willfully...

What annoys people about Dublin is they have it in their locker to play possession keep ball football too when the game situation demands it...

If they are 4 points up with 10 minutes to go... the only way the opponent is getting back into it is by scoring, they cannot score without the ball, so fûcking keep it from them and in their half..away from Dublin’s goal... they are good at it..

No Hail Mary risky passes.

You only have to listen to the mid west radio commentary from the 2017 AI and it proves your point!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You only have to listen to the mid west radio commentary from the 2017 AI and it proves your point!

You love to hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

God, the cheek of them, not kicking the ball away to enable the opponent a 50/50 chance to regain possession.

Strumms wrote: »
    God, the cheek of them, not kicking the ball away to enable the opponent a 50/50 chance to regain possession.

It blows my mind when I hear that. Even on here during matches... Like, why?

The panicked kick out from Clarke as well, literally proved why we do what we do.

I mean, we have won 6-in-a-row and 8 in 10... I'd copy us loike!

Short kick from Clarke to the half-backs and slow the play down... but no, adrenaline gets the better of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You love to hear it

Kevin McStays wailing and moaning is even funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It blows my mind when I hear that. Even on here during matches... Like, why?

The panicked kick out from Clarke as well, literally proved why we do what we do.

I mean, we have won 6-in-a-row and 8 in 10... I'd copy us loike!

Short kick from Clarke to the half-backs and slow the play down... but no, adrenaline gets the better of him.

I agree with the Dubs slowing things down to see out a game. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is so frustrating for other teams to take.

But just out of curiosity, why do you say for David Clarke to slow the play down. There were 6 minutes nominated as injury time. Over 7 minutes had gone when he was taking the kickout. I know there was a lot of messing going on in the previous 5 minutes, but as a player, you never know when a ref is going to blow up once deep into injury time. I definately wouldn't be telling him to slow play down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Bambi wrote: »
    Kevin McStays wailing and moaning is even funnier.

Martin Carney

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I agree with the Dubs slowing things down to see out a game. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is so frustrating for other teams to take.

But just out of curiosity, why do you say for David Clarke to slow the play down. There were 6 minutes nominated as injury time. Over 7 minutes had gone when he was taking the kickout. I know there was a lot of messing going on in the previous 5 minutes, but as a player, you never know when a ref is going to blow up once deep into injury time. I definately wouldn't be telling him to slow play down.

With all the messing in injury time, there was clearly enough time coming for one more sustained attack, particularly with the Dubs basically hauling every outfield player to the ground on his first kick out.

Afterwards, the dubs started to follow Kilkennys suggestion/order to "drop, drop, drop", plus with his black card, Mayo had an extra man on the field. Under those circumstances, it should have been possible to take a short kick out to a man running back, from where they could launch an attack.

No guarantees that it'd have worked for them, they were clearly physically and mentally exhausted at that point, but keeping the ball in the centre of the field would have been the better course of action. At least, that's what I think. Instead, Dublin were gifted the ball, and in due course, the win.

They needed calm heads.

Slow the kick out, take a breath and get it to your own man. He singularly failed to do that.

If the roles are reversed you don't see Cluxton giving a hit and hope at that stage. If you don't win the ball it's game over and that's what happened.

As CIAB says above, the ref was always giving them one more chance seeing as how the post-70 period went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

CatInABox wrote: »
    With all the messing in injury time, there was clearly enough time coming for one more sustained attack, particularly with the Dubs basically hauling every outfield player to the ground on his first kick out.

I always get a chuckle when this urban legend pops up. I can only assume that the people who perpetuate it listened to the game on the radio, and never actually saw or rewatched it. It literally never happened.

The only players actually on the ground when the kickout was taken in the 76th minute are Kilkenny and Keegan.

I assume this particular fabrication was created to distract from what Keegan had just done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

They were probably haunted by 2013 when coc took a point from a free, thinking there was more time left.

The entire last 15 minutes of 2013 must haunt them.

I still look back on it, and wonder how the hell we ever got out of there with a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Jaden wrote:

Jaden wrote:
    I still look back on it, and wonder how the hell we ever got out of there with a win.

Luckily the black card rule wasnt around at the time.

Not sure black card would have made a difference. That game essentially finished 15 v 13.

An epic sideline failure to capitalize on such an advantage.

You love to hear it

I actually used the part from the Mid-West Radio clip -

'Dublin playing keep ball in their own area, Mayo are out on their feet, another All-Ireland defeat for Mayo, why, why can't we just open that door?'

as my ringtone on my old retro phone.

Looking at the clip again it was all started by a poor Clarke kick out went straight out the sideline. If Mayo had not given possession away so cheaply they had plenty of time to get the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It was an awful mistake by Clarke terrible lack of composure there was a handy free on if Mayo could have gained possession a couple of moves to get near enough down the field .Nearly always results in a free to get the chance to level seen it countless times for every county .

Jaden wrote: »
    I always get a chuckle when this urban legend pops up. I can only assume that the people who perpetuate it listened to the game on the radio, and never actually saw or rewatched it. It literally never happened.

The only players actually on the ground when the kickout was taken in the 76th minute are Kilkenny and Keegan.

I assume this particular fabrication was created to distract from what Keegan had just done...

It was Spillane or one of the RTE commentators came up with that doozy right after the match, now one of the great GAA urban legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But because of this development Dublin can play any style. You say Dublin's play is boring for the neutral. I assume you mean, going side to side probing for weakness. I think there is a beauty to that, an intelligence of mind is required and cool heads.

I said that Dublin do play a lot of basketball style football, in response to a post that said that they don't always do that. They do, they do it when 2 points up, 10 points up, 15 points, 20 points up, they do it all the time.

And I don't need the eulogy, I get it, they mix it up and can kill teams off very quickly whenever they put the foot down. They are a great team, easily the best group of players in the country.

I appreciate measured play as much as the next man, especially in tight games. It takes strong characters to hold the ball and probe for weakness when the scores are level, when the game is in the melting pot. There is indeed beauty in that.

I find less beauty in it when they are clearly dominant, 15 points up against a Wickow or Carlow, vastly superior in every area and still doing it. At that point they are just being slaves to the system and that absolutely is boring for the neutral.

I know they won't care, and the fans will say they don't care, but lets not pretend it doesn't happen either.

How many saves did Clarke make that day to keep them in the game though, not to mention "Dublin" Joe deciding that Mayo were a charity case for the last 15 minutes :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, hauling them all to the ground is a bit inaccurate, but have a look at the video posted above. Obviously Kilkenny is the worst out of them getting a black card, but Costello gets a yellow, and even where the ball lands, you can see a Dublin player stopping a Mayo player from jumping (said player then leaves the scene of the crime at speed)

It's not a total fabrication to say that Dublin players disrupted that kick out with some "dark arts" that went a little too far. Besides, I love it. Unless you're prepared to do these kinds of things, then you're not prepared to win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Every team in a winning position has messed around with fouling cramp etc subs and so on especially in a big match .Mayo did it in the semi when they beat us no problem really always wished we had done something at the end of the four game saga when I could see what was unfolding and thinking please somebody break the play with whatever it takes .

We went from:
    ...particularly with the Dubs basically hauling every outfield player to the ground on his first kick out.

To:
    ...not a total fabrication to say that Dublin players disrupted that kick out with some "dark arts"

Helluva backtrack.

Killkenny was taking Keegan to task over cheating to try to disrupt a free, and rightfully walked for it. Costello was carded a little harshly, but no complaints on it.

Mayo player jumped too early, he was never in a million years getting that ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bambi wrote: »
    It was Spillane or one of the RTE commentators came up with that doozy right after the match, now one of the great GAA urban legends.

It was Paul Kimmage who invented that myth. I doubt he even watched the game.

thesultan wrote: »
    I don't think they would be as much dislike (champions have that) for Dublin if they went back to som attacking play instead of the this keep ball boredom.. McGuinness spooked them

Dublin lost to Domegal in 2014. They only started playing the recycling game in 2017. After conceding 3 goals in both 2013 and 2014 AI semi finals Cian O'Sullivan played a sweeping role in front of full back and 2 wing forwards played a deeper role.

Dublin are well capable of playing great football, but it cannot be denied that there is a hell of a lot of recycling of the ball backwards and sideways in their play.

Dublin will be 10+ points up and you will still see the best players in the country turning back and recycling the ball rather than forcing a risky play.

I get it, it is the percentage play, it is smart and there is so much competition for places that the players will stick to the gameplan even when far in the lead.

But as a neutral we will see a hell of a lot of basketball style play when watching Dublin.

Why don't teams push up on Dublin instead of keeping 15 bodies the ball? Especially when only losing by 5/6 points.

I said that Dublin do play a lot of basketball style football, in response to a post that said that they don't always do that. They do, they do it when 2 points up, 10 points up, 15 points, 20 points up, they do it all the time.

And I don't need the eulogy, I get it, they mix it up and can kill teams off very quickly whenever they put the foot down. They are a great team, easily the best group of players in the country.

I appreciate measured play as much as the next man, especially in tight games. It takes strong characters to hold the ball and probe for weakness when the scores are level, when the game is in the melting pot. There is indeed beauty in that.

I find less beauty in it when they are clearly dominant, 15 points up against a Wickow or Carlow, vastly superior in every area and still doing it. At that point they are just being slaves to the system and that absolutely is boring for the neutral.

I know they won't care, and the fans will say they don't care, but lets not pretend it doesn't happen either.

If they knocked seven shades of shíte out of Carlow or Wicklow we'd be hearing cries of "they could have eased up a bit".

Can't win.

I still always think that 13 and 15 were the least nervous I've ever been watching us in an AIF.

Always felt we were gonna win in 13. And 15 was a masterclass in puke weather game management.

It was an awful mistake by Clarke terrible lack of composure there was a handy free on if Mayo could have gained possession a couple of moves to get near enough down the field .Nearly always results in a free to get the chance to level seen it countless times for every county .

He got a sympathy all-star that year as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I still always think that 13 and 15 were the least nervous I've ever been watching us in an AIF.

Always felt we were gonna win in 13. And 15 was a masterclass in puke weather game management.

Mayo couldn't score from play in 2013 and when the game was there to be won in the third quarter Dublin took it away from them. It was hard fought but about as comfortable a one point victory as you'll find.

I'm not normally one for rejoicing at the sight of cheating but I must say I enjoyed the tactical fouling immensely in the last 10 minutes of that game. Mayo were guilty of the same thing 12 months previous so it was a case of what goes around comes around.

Advertisement