Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bambi wrote: »
    Just be thankful McCarthy still has legs under him, but that won't last much longer, the mileage that lads clocked up is fierce.

Just gone 31, had no injuries hardly, no serious injuries, looks after himself on and off the pitch...I see him prior to covid as we are members of the same health / sports facility and he is seriously diligent as regards his fitness and health, fûcker still looks about 27..

He’s a flexible talent too, can as we’ve seen recently can drop into the backs where he started out and where I’d say he’ll finish his career...

Played an awful lot of football alright but in this sport there is really plenty of downtime between fixtures and competitions... so I can see him playing regularly for another 4 years, starting regularly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Strumms wrote: »
    Just gone 31, had no injuries hardly, no serious injuries, looks after himself on and off the pitch...I see him prior to covid as we are members of the same health / sports facility and he is seriously diligent as regards his fitness and health, fûcker still looks about 27..

He’s a flexible talent too, can as we’ve seen recently can drop into the backs where he started out and where I’d say he’ll finish his career...

Played an awful lot of football alright but in this sport there is really plenty of downtime between fixtures and competitions... so I can see him playing regularly for another 4 years, starting regularly too.

Don't think there is downtime at all. After intercounty they are straight into club. If they get 4 weeks in December they are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What.Now wrote: »
    Don't think there is downtime at all. After intercounty they are straight into club. If they get 4 weeks in December they are lucky.

prob more like three weeks but I’m sure if he needed an extra couple he could avail of a greater rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Strumms wrote: »

Agree, can see him even ending up as a solid full-back still playing in four or five years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

hunter164 wrote: »
    Paddy Small isn’t good enough imo. Way too reliable on the left foot.

Agreed here, Mannion is a big loss and the step down to Paddy is too much. That isn't to criticise him too much - Paddy would walk into any other team in Leinster, and to most in the rest of the country too, it is just that Mannion is a far better player.

I do worry that the lads coming up are not as good. We will still win All-Irelands, just not every year. Fenton, Kilkenny, Rock and O'Callaghan are the leading lights of this team once Cluxton is gone, and we need new leaders at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭flasher0030

hunter164 wrote: »
    Paddy Small isn’t good enough imo. Way too reliable on the left foot.

That's a bit of a lazy comment. This notion of the citeog being somehow weakened because he doesn't kick with the right foot. Surely, it's the same for most right footed kickers. How many times do we see Con O'Callaghan or Ciaran Kilkenny kicking with the left peg. Or Brian Fenton or James McCarthy. Seldom to never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

That's a bit of a lazy comment. This notion of the citeog being somehow weakened because he doesn't kick with the right foot. Surely, it's the same for most right footed kickers. How many times do we see Con O'Callaghan or Ciaran Kilkenny kicking with the left peg. Or Brian Fenton or James McCarthy. Seldom to never.

He's only 20.

Plenty of development still to go.

Any word on his brother? Looked like a bad one with the hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He's only 20.

He's a bit older isn't he? 22 or 23?

I can't quite wrap my head around somebody saying a player would walk onto any other team in the country, but in the same breath saying it is a problem for Dublin that they are playing him? Sounds like one of those good problems really.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

He's only 20.

He’s 23 at least lol. He’s doing a masters in college this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's only 20.

And there I was thinking that most people would think Paddy Small was one of the brighter sparks for Dublin. All that raw power. When he gets more experience/cuteness he will be very hard to handle for any opponent.

I did not here any news on the older brother yet. John Small reminds me of that Keith Barr type player real warrior. Great fellas to have in a team.

Jayus when I think if it the two Small brothers must have had great battles growing up. No quarter given.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

He's only 20.

I still cant believe the ref gave a free for a lad pulling up. One of the most puzzling decisions I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dobman88 wrote:
    I still cant believe the ref gave a free for a lad pulling up. One of the most puzzling decisions I've ever seen.

He hopped the ball didn't he? Haven't watched it back but I think he did anyway.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    He hopped the ball didn't he? Haven't watched it back but I think he did anyway.

Ah maybe he did. But even so. Still baffling how he blew up. I'm not gonna argue every decision cos over the course of the season I think good and bad balance out but that one just makes no sense whatsoever.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Yep. You're right. He threw it up, Dublin won a free from that which led directly to the ball played into Con for the penalty. I knew there was a reason that particular one stuck out. Shocking call from the ref tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

away days can be tough, luckily dublin play the championship at home.. :)

gourcuff wrote: »
    away days can be tough, luckily dublin play the championship at home.. :)

When did that happen? Is it cos of the pandemic they're back in Parnell Park? Makes sense I spose.

Must say, I was actually gutted about this game with current circumstances. I was too young for boozing in Thurles 2001 and I can only imagine the craic would have been 90 on the train from Heuston with my Kerry jersey surrounded by Dubs lol.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Must say, I was actually gutted about this game with current circumstances. I was too young for boozing in Thurles 2001 and I can only imagine the craic would have been 90 on the train from Heuston with my Kerry jersey surrounded by Dubs lol.

There was a great novelty to it altogether. Trains were jammed. I can't remember and major hassle at it. Usual good natured stuff. Fellas on the train sharing cans etc.
    The Dubs don't get to travel down the sticks enough, can make a weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

There was a great novelty to it altogether. Trains were jammed. I can't remember and major hassle at it. Usual good natured stuff. Fellas on the train sharing cans etc.
    The Dubs don't get to travel down the sticks enough, can make a weekend of it.

Its true, very rare. the kerrys and mayos are up in the hood fairly regularly so not much novelty to it and pubs around croker are fairly grim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dobman88 wrote:
    Yep. You're right. He threw it up, Dublin won a free from that which led directly to the ball played into Con for the penalty. I knew there was a reason that particular one stuck out. Shocking call from the ref tbf.

To be fair I never mind a referee stopping play for a serious injury. The player is exposed on the ground and can't get out of the way which puts him in danger of further injury.

From a Kerry point of view it was unfortunate that it lead to the 4th goal but we could have prevented it by not fouling after the hop ball either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Its true, very rare. the kerrys and mayos are up in the hood fairly regularly so not much novelty to it and pubs around croker are fairly grim

They travel from Ranelagh/Rathmines in their thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    When did that happen? Is it cos of the pandemic they're back in Parnell Park? Makes sense I spose.

Wait? You've been in Dublin that long? Sure you're more a Dub than a Long Grass Dweller.

Brannigans on Cathedral St is our spot for games in Croke park. Walk in there the day of a game is like walking into the local at home. Even went there with the missus one night for a pre show drink and yer man asked where I was from with the accent, usually just say Killarney but told him the actual place I'm from and he said oh I know ye well, thanks for calling, that crowd always call here for games.

The Brian Boru now at the top of Whitworth road is handy then for waiting for the bus to come while having a couple of handy pints after.

Wait? You've been in Dublin that long? Sure you're more a Dub than a Long Grass Dweller.

No, not at all. Only 5 years. Meant the craic would have been great had we not been in a pandemic to get the train down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

He's a bit older isn't he? 22 or 23?

You're right, he is.

Still time for him.

When you lose someone of the quality of mannion, it is a massive loss to any forward line, even Dublin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No parnell passes likely to issued this year hopefully back up and running next season no surprise really even if a small crowd gets in later in the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hoping former STs are in the queue for these test events.

When you lose someone of the quality of mannion, it is a massive loss to any forward line, even Dublin's.

I am not sure Mannion is loss really. I seem to remember giving out that he seemed to have lost form. How he deserved to be dropped others better replacements etc. Then wondering if I was unfair on him because he had such high standards for a period of time before he dipped dramatically. Maybe it is just grumpy I am!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Think you're being unfair myself. He's a huge loss. Granted he wasn't great last year but 3 all stars in the previous 3 years tells you all you need to know about his quality. Plenty of other top players have the odd quiet year here and there.

His ability to win back ball at crucial times in defence was massive for us aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Think you're being unfair myself. He's a huge loss. Granted he wasn't great last year but 3 all stars in the previous 3 years tells you all you need to know about his quality. Plenty of other top players have the odd quiet year here and there.

His ability to win back ball at crucial times in defence was massive for us aswell

Mannions general play in the 5 in a row season, in particular, was brilliant. Some of the scores he kicked were on a different planet at times ha. It's as if he was kicking them over with his eyes closed.

Looking at how we struggled for large parts to kick and take our points on Sunday against Kerry im hoping it's just early-season rust and not a sign of things to come!

Where normally calm about how we play but Sunday took the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mannions general play in the 5 in a row season, in particular, was brilliant. Some of the scores he kicked were on a different planet at times ha. It's as if he was kicking them over with his eyes closed.

Looking at how we struggled for large parts to kick and take our points on Sunday against Kerry im hoping it's just early-season rust and not a sign of things to come!

Where normally calm about how we play but Sunday took the piss.

I especially remember Mannion scored a few wonder points against Mayo in the 2019 semi-final - the match where Dublin blitzed Mayo in the first 10 miutes of the second half. Mannion was bombing them over from out near the sideline.
    He's a big loss. Paddy Small has lovely skills, but he hasn't the clinical finish of Paul Mannion, especially in a close encounter where is tighly marked by a corner back who is every bit as strong and fast as Paddy.

Advertisement