Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I especially remember Mannion scored a few wonder points against Mayo in the 2019 semi-final - the match where Dublin blitzed Mayo in the first 10 miutes of the second half. Mannion was bombing them over from out near the sideline.
    He's a big loss. Paddy Small has lovely skills, but he hasn't the clinical finish of Paul Mannion, especially in a close encounter where is tighly marked by a corner back who is every bit as strong and fast as Paddy.

Paddy misses just as many as he scores most games his decision making needs work as well. He's one of the few Dublin players who would be more likely to take on a long shot that he will rarely get instead of passing it to someone in a better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Paddy misses just as many as he scores most games his decision making needs work as well. He's one of the few Dublin players who would be more likely to take on a long shot that he will rarely get instead of passing it to someone in a better position.

Still a great player. It's just that he'll be compared to Mannion for some time to come - on account of kicking with t he left peg and similar direct running style - driving straight at the defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Still a great player. It's just that he'll be compared to Mannion for some time to come - on account of kicking with t he left peg and similar direct running style - driving straight at the defender.

He can only get better hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Raw power is more Paddy Small's game different type of player to Mannion altogether. Ideally I would have liked to the see the two of them flying it and competing for a place.

But in my opinion even a poor Paddy Small would offer more than a poor Mannion.
    Because Small's power can at least offer an 'out ball'. When Mannion plays poorly he seems to go missing entirely and becomes a luxury player.

I am not a Crokes or Mun man before anyone accuses me of bias. Just looking at it with a neutral head on me.

I think I am a bit weary about Mannion because of that game against Mullinalaghta in 2018. Saw it on telly and Mannion did nothing of note. Just two points both of them from frees. That is probably where the 'goes missing' at times idea has come from me I would say.

I did learn something about Mannion when I was looking up stuff to see his age and that. He moved to China in 2015 and speaks Mandarin fluently!

In the article linked on wiki from 2018 I did notice the headline which stood out.

https://www.the42.ie/paul-mannion-dublin-interview-3976328-Apr2018/

'I felt that I didn't show as good a version of myself as I could have. I had to step up'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Gorm, imho and as someone who has absolutely no affiliation to Mannion in any sense, I think you're so far off the mark with your opinion on him. To be able to write off a multiple all star winner, a consistent performer imo (every player has a bad game), 5 or 6 time all Ireland winner. It just shows the abundance of riches Dublin have been spoilt with in the last 10 years. Is Mannion even 30 yet? He gets on any team and I'd have him instead of Small 100% of the time.

I honestly think you're being incredibly harsh on a really top quality player.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Gorm, imho and as someone who has absolutely no affiliation to Mannion in any sense, I think you're so far off the mark with your opinion on him. To be able to write off a multiple all star winner, a consistent performer imo (every player has a bad game), 5 or 6 time all Ireland winner. It just shows the abundance of riches Dublin have been spoilt with in the last 10 years. Is Mannion even 30 yet? He gets on any team and I'd have him instead of Small 100% of the time.

I honestly think you're being incredibly harsh on a really top quality player.

27 he is at the moment. I suppose there is a definite case of Dublin being spoiled for forwards in the last while.

To be honest at one stage I would nearly forget some of the forwards Dublin had. When a panel would be named for the league etc and lads would be left out or injured and the team and subs would still look strong. Then remember jayus yer man and that other fella has to come back yet.

It is definitely not the same strength and depth as it was. For that reason I would have liked Mannion to stay on the panel, but personally would have picked Small ahead of him even if Mannion was still there. I could see the logic of why he was not starting last year off form and Small's star was on the up.

Raw power is more Paddy Small's game different type of player to Mannion altogether. Ideally I would have liked to the see the two of them flying it and competing for a place.

But in my opinion even a poor Paddy Small would offer more than a poor Mannion.
    Because Small's power can at least offer an 'out ball'. When Mannion plays poorly he seems to go missing entirely and becomes a luxury player.

I am not a Crokes or Mun man before anyone accuses me of bias. Just looking at it with a neutral head on me.

I think I am a bit weary about Mannion because of that game against Mullinalaghta in 2018. Saw it on telly and Mannion did nothing of note. Just two points both of them from frees. That is probably where the 'goes missing' at times idea has come from me I would say.

I did learn something about Mannion when I was looking up stuff to see his age and that. He moved to China in 2015 and speaks Mandarin fluently!

In the article linked on wiki from 2018 I did notice the headline which stood out.

https://www.the42.ie/paul-mannion-dublin-interview-3976328-Apr2018/

'I felt that I didn't show as good a version of myself as I could have. I had to step up'

How can you just pick one match in a full career to judge someone in a negative light - someone who has had a very successful GAA career. That makes no sense. All of the best players in Ireland would have had multiple poor games throughtout their football careerrs.

I saw Paddy Small in a club game (on TV) against Ballyboden (I think. I'm not sure about opposition. I think it was county semi-final). And he was absolutely
    phenomenal. I had never seen him before. He was weaving around players like they weren't there and getting closer to goal for a better percentage shot. But it's difficult to bring that exact style to intercounty - when you are up against stronger and faster corner backs. He'll get on the ball, and try to generate that power to make progress towards goal, but not as successful. Ends up taking the pot on goal, but he doesn't have the same accuracy/composure as Mannion with shots on goal. And I think that's the difference between them. Paul Mannion doesn't need to operate like a powerful force driving through people, because when he gets the ball some distance out, he has it in his armory to land the point, whereas Paddy doesn't.

How can you just pick one match in a full career to judge someone in a negative light - someone who has had a very successful GAA career. That makes no sense. All of the best players in Ireland would have had multiple poor games throughtout their football careerrs.

I saw Paddy Small in a club game (on TV) against Ballyboden (I think. I'm not sure about opposition. I think it was county semi-final). And he was absolutely
    phenomenal. I had never seen him before. He was weaving around players like they weren't there and getting closer to goal for a better percentage shot. But it's difficult to bring that exact style to intercounty - when you are up against stronger and faster corner backs. He'll get on the ball, and try to generate that power to make progress towards goal, but not as successful. Ends up taking the pot on goal, but he doesn't have the same accuracy/composure as Mannion with shots on goal. And I think that's the difference between them. Paul Mannion doesn't need to operate like a powerful force driving through people, because when he gets the ball some distance out, he has it in his armory to land the point, whereas Paddy doesn't.

I took into account Dublin games as well where he seemed low on confidence for some reason. The Crokes game v Mullinaughta is just the game that stands out for me as he was supposed to be the main man. As I said if Mannion dips in form he becomes a luxury on the pitch. At least Small can constantly chase and work because of his power even if he has a bad game. Mannion can look like a world beater at times bits of skill flicks and control. But other times didn’t seem involved in games. He was not dropping down the pecking order of the panel for no reason IMO.

I took into account Dublin games as well where he seemed low on confidence for some reason. The Crokes game v Mullinaughta is just the game that stands out for me as he was supposed to be the main man. As I said if Mannion dips in form he becomes a luxury on the pitch. At least Small can constantly chase and work because of his power even if he has a bad game. Mannion can look like a world beater at times bits of skill flicks and control. But other times didn’t seem involved in games. He was not dropping down the pecking order of the panel for no reason IMO.

Ok. Anyway, would take both of them on to the Mayo team in a heartbeat if we could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Ok. Anyway, would take both of them on to the Mayo team in a heartbeat if we could.

I'd swap Paddy Small for Durcan right now, no problem.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a few forwards would transform Mayo. For some reason Mayo nearly always seem to have a load of decent defenders. With the opposite problem for Galway.

Which segues nicely into the Galway v Dublin game. Hopefully it will be an open one.

It is in Tuam stadium. No way would it be played there only for the covid19. A bit 'rustic' is how I would describe it. I think I was only there once watching Galway play Dublin in a challenge match. Would have been in the early/mid 2000's when Galway had a good footballing side. If I remember Whelo scored a goal for Dublin late on.

I know a lot of Galway people would prefer to see Tuam stadium re-developed and don't think much of where they built the ground in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Mannion only started only 2 league games last year. Wouldn't be judging him on them games. Mannion work rate was unreal for a corner forward. Often getting the blocks in his own full back line. Again game was Mullinaughta he was well held but Crokes wouldn't have been anywhere Leinster Final only for him. He had a long season by time that game was played. Last year he got injured in club semi final and struggled to get back in for Dublin when season resumed. Kicked a class point from free near the sideline against Mayo.

Paddy Small is still learning. Will take him a couple seasons to adapt. Took Mannion 4 years before found his consistency in championship. Small has the attributes to be decent player and need to improve his decision making.

Player County Year Games Goals Points Total

Mannion, Paul Dublin 2013 6 3 6 15
    2014 5 0 3 3
    2015 0 0 0 0
    2016 7 1 2 5
    2017 6 0 17 17
    2018 7 2 9 15
    2019 8 0 28 28
    2020 2 0 1 1
    41 6 66 84

Strumms wrote: »
    Really disappointing from Dublin in that second half... I missed the final 10 minutes but they were not playing savvy football.. didn’t seem to be enough effort from players to support their teammate in possession.

13 scores over 70 plus minutes of football... four goals but only 9 points over 70+ minutes of football...in that second half we didn’t get into the Kerry 45 enough.

A big factor too was Hurson just enabling Kerry to foul at will...arm grabs, shoving Dublin players to the deck so they can’t turn or take possession cleanly, often we didn’t even get the fücking free... Kerry players should have seen yellow and black cards reigning down on them....and resultant reds...

The quality of officiating is something that needs addressing in the GAA.. it’s really gone to shîte...

Dublin should have been much more savvy in that second half but still...

Big positive not to lose that considering Kerry dominated the whole second half. Penalty kept us in game. Was ridiculous playing Fenton at centre half when he is best midfielder on country. It time for Colm Basquel, James Doran and Aaron Byrne to raise their game to next level and push for starting slot. Bugler and P.Small need bring game to next level too. Need more young defenders like Seanie Mc push through. Liam Flatman from Crokes should be getting chance. Would like to see Shane Carthy or Darren Gavin get a game at centre field. Lahiff plays his club football at wing back for Judes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Gael85 wrote: »
    Big positive not to lose that considering Kerry dominated the whole second half. Penalty kept us in game. Was ridiculous playing Fenton at centre half when he is best midfielder on country. It time for Colm Basquel, James Doran and Aaron Byrne to raise their game to next level and push for starting slot. Bugler and P.Small need bring game to next level too. Need more young defenders like Seanie Mc push through. Liam Flatman from Crokes should be getting chance. Would like to see Shane Carthy or Darren Gavin get a game at centre field. Lahiff plays his club football at wing back for Judes.

Ciaran Archer aswell. Does anyone know if the match on Sunday is on TG4?

billyhead wrote: »
    Ciaran Archer aswell. Does anyone know if the match on Sunday is on TG4?

Archer is too light for me and need up work rate for senior inter county. He only 21 so would wait another year or two. Top class freetaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the match on Sunday is on TG4?

Yep. Clare v Cork and Galway v Dublin are their live games on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ladies struggling to close it out vs Cork, a lot of errors, had a substantial lead but looking tired a lot of atrocious refereeing... Cork player fûcking up the advantage the referee gave her team and he blows it up to go back for the free 5 seconds later..about 30 meters back. You don’t take the advantage, tough... shouldn’t get a second bite, it was a goal opportunity or easy point opportunity.

But close it out they did by a point, good job.... 16vs15 there...

But close it out they did by a point, good job.... 16vs15 there...

Lovely cheeky goal, from Hannah Tyrrell

https://twitter.com/i/status/1398744160627216384

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Dublin GK was awful in the second half. Terrible kickouts, one lead directly to the penalty and the yellow, another off kick lead to a free in rather than Dublin holding the ball.

Dublin were lucky, Cork had a bad wide and hit the post in the last few minutes.

• Advertisement

Lovely cheeky goal, from Hannah Tyrrell

https://twitter.com/i/status/1398744160627216384

Absolutely class ball in by Nolan and that finish....

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The Dublin GK was awful in the second half. Terrible kickouts, one lead directly to the penalty and the yellow, another off kick lead to a free in rather than Dublin holding the ball.

Dublin were lucky, Cork had a bad wide and hit the post in the last few minutes.

Just noting Abby, she just turned 19... she’ll learn...improve...no doubt, very highly thought of.

Ciara Trant is 23 too which is surprising she seems to have been around a while....so I’m sure be good competition for each other.

Just noting Abby, she just turned 19... she’ll learn...improve...no doubt, very highly thought of.

Ciara Trant is 23 too which is surprising she seems to have been around a while....so I’m sure be good competition for each other.

In general I always find female goalkeepers to be miles behind their male counterparts not just in GAA either. More than any other position. Lots of glaring mistakes and you think what was she at there! Positioning, kickouts, handling etc. Plus a lot of the female goalkeepers seem to be of the 'heavy set' variety. Not very mobile. Obviously there are exceptions. But more often than not that lack of mobility catches them out.

It seems to be a position where the difference between male and female football really stand out. For whatever reason, maybe it is just because a major keeper mistake normally leads to a goal? Or at least creates sheer panic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Sloppy enough by Dublin so far, Galway dominating possession...

MFPM wrote: »
    Sloppy enough by Dublin so far, Galway dominating possession...

Galway playing well. Only score dublin have so far is from an advanced mark. Not sure that is even a 'proper score'.

Dublin team

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1398611167426363392/photo/1

Michael Sheil and Ó Cofaigh Byrne in instead of Comerford and McCarthy - and other changes that Dublin line up had a good few.
    Makes a joke of that given line up.

Galway team

https://twitter.com/Galway_GAA/status/1398754834573148171/photo/1

Costello kicking into gear 2 scores from play already. 0-4-0-5 after the first water break. Nice score by Basquel.

Lovely point from Kilkenny made it look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

What was Cooper doing there, all that possession and he takes a shot he was never going to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cracking point there.

Advertisement