Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Great goal by Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nice goal from Na Fianna man Byrne - game over.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The wife is wetting herself here. Prince Harry scored,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Great finish good man!

They pointed out a stat there Dublin more kick passes than galway 60 v 30 ish.

Flies in the face of the Dublin 'play basketball' line.

• Advertisement

Con MOM not sure I would agree with that. I would probably have given it to Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

enjoyable enough good to bag the win would love to hear from the ref how he gave so many easy frees to Galway barely any contact and he blew .

Glad to get the two points there. Made hard work of it. Galway's tactics were not far off from working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Donegal up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Con MOM not sure I would agree with that. I would probably have given it to Walsh.

Yea was thinking the very same.

Galway seem to get them selfs into a position in a lot of games I've seen them in where there close going into the last few minutes then they start making mistakes.

Walsh took on a point a mile away there when he should of played it short than u had a move not long before that where they where going forward probably would of been in for a score only for a really bad hand pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A competitive enough game, although closer on the scoreboard then it probably should have been...

The refereeing especially in the second half had a big whiff of that GAA bollocksology we thought we’d seen the back of..of the referee giving every 50/50 to the weaker / loosing side, almost trying to make it more of a contest and Dublin not being awarded several clear fouls, the Galway players were pulling arms consistently ...

Too many games now being ruined or certainly spoiled by absolute rubbish cack refereeing, I’m sick of it. The standard of the sport is being dragged down by the plummeting standard of refereeing.

Yea was thinking the very same.

Galway seem to get them selfs into a position in a lot of games I've seen them in where there close going into the last few minutes then they start making mistakes.

Walsh took on a point a mile away there when he should of played it short than u had a move not long before that where they where going forward probably would of been in for a score only for a really bad hand pass.

Galway are a bit odd they seem to be focused on playing cagey and get themselves in knots. If they 'went for it' in a short spell then played cagey and mixed it up a bit more they would be better off.

Ironically Cofofin play a real direct style of football loads of scores, but Galway can't seem to find the happy medium. They have some great players in that Galway side that do not seem to play to their strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Galway are a bit odd they seem to be focused on playing cagey and get themselves in knots. If they 'went for it' in a short spell then played cagey and mixed it up a bit more they would be better off.

Ironically Cofofin play a real direct style of football loads of scores, but Galway can't seem to find the happy medium. They have some great players in that Galway side that do not seem to play to their strengths.

I always thought galway would be dublins biggest threat come championship over the last couple of years but kevin walsh held them back with negative tactics.

I had great hope for them when joyce took over and they were flying before covid hit. I remember one particular game v tyrone, they were outstanding.

Since the restart last year though they just seem to be playing within themselves again. As you said, they have great players.

I just cant work them out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I always thought galway would be dublins biggest threat come championship over the last couple of years but kevin walsh held them back with negative tactics.

In fairness to Kevin Walsh, he brought them from being pretty cack to a fairly competitive team. His only problem is that he couldn't move them on from being ultra defensive once they mastered that.

What club is that Michael Sheil fella from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

What club is that Michael Sheil fella from?

Most likely Sylvesters

https://twitter.com/OfficialSylsGAA/status/1399016464875728896?s=19

I see Philly joining the Bohs backroom set up .

reading he’ll be a ‘performance’ coach as opposed to strength and conditioning. Not sure what that will entail, perhaps ‘human’ performance as relates to fitness but hopefully it’s a success for both parties.... he’s an eminently positive, hardworking and likable fella to be around so I’m sure he’ll be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What do ye dubs think about Cluxton? Is he already retired but just too low profile to officially announce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

What do ye dubs think about Cluxton? Is he already retired but just too low profile to officially announce it?

The first rule of Cluxton is you don't talk about Cluxton!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Have heard nothing at all about him not really talked to anybody about it but with so few matches would think if he was playing he would be around the next day. Dessie seems to be looking at the next two in line . With the short season and almost certain to make the semi final would think some might just hang in for one more shot .Though would be typical of Cluxton to go quietly I would say .

If he retires he has to make a statement... he isn’t one for the limelight mind so he’d probably take some cajoling as he’d most likely just want to disappear quietly but he’s the most successful footballer in the history of the sport...one of the best, most popular the most influential too, so.... it would be a shame if it was just a press release....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Are people thinking Cluxton is retiring because he hasn't played any of the league? From what I remember he hasn't played the league the last few years has he?

It's a question people will continue to ask and it can't be to far away anyhow people look to read anything into any non appearance or a gesture and given the type of guy he is he will go quite enough I would think . Also the other choice of keepers seems to have surprised a few .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Strumms wrote: »
    reading he’ll be a ‘performance’ coach as opposed to strength and conditioning. Not sure what that will entail, perhaps ‘human’ performance as relates to fitness but hopefully it’s a success for both parties.... he’s an eminently positive, hardworking and likable fella to be around so I’m sure he’ll be a success.

is philly likeable? certainly effective as a player but quite nasty, utilises sledging quite a lot, gouging incident, always whinging to referees.. likeable isn't a word i would think ireland would refer to him as... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

The team has such strength in other areas of the field I can't see his retirement being the end of All irelands for this team by any means. The next keepers coming along look to be showing promise but only time will tell if they're worthy successors when they get a go later on in championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

gourcuff wrote: »
    is philly likeable? certainly effective as a player but quite nasty, utilises sledging quite a lot, gouging incident, always whinging to referees.. likeable isn't a word i would think ireland would refer to him as... :)

This may come as a shock but people are not always the same outside of a match as they are when playing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ah, I think he is likeable. I'm not a Dub supporter, but I have a fondness for him. He has that cheeky demeanor. And he has made the effort to highlight issues re drugs and addiction.

I don't think Bohs are too concerned about what Philly McMahon did to Kieron Donaghy or what verbals he was giving Aidan O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've never shared a pitch with him but have met him a handful of times and he is hugely likeable, with an infectiously good personality.

If we are going to judge lads by what they do in the heat of battle, 99% of lads playing sport are complete cnuts. Thankfully, that's not how it works and we judge lads on how they are in real life and I'd certainly class Philly as one of the good guys.

• Advertisement

He’s a likable guy, I’ve experienced that out first hand over a time.

I think it s a wee stretch to be claiming to know what ‘Ireland’ would refer to him as.... :)

A lot of people have a problem with him and some of the Dublin lads, when they stick up for themselves, fight fire with fire but never have the gravitas or humility to call out their own team or any of Dublin’s opposition when they receive anything nasty :)

Advertisement