Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

gourcuff wrote: »
    is philly likeable? certainly effective as a player but quite nasty, utilises sledging quite a lot, gouging incident, always whinging to referees.. likeable isn't a word i would think ireland would refer to him as... :)

As for the eye gouging Philly claimed it was not deliberate. Plus shook hands and left it at that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20355127.html

I think that was more a case of Philly's 'hardman reputation' going before him and the media jumping on it. As for whinging at referees a lot of players do that even managers after games so that is hardly a new thing.
    You need only look at Mayo over numerous games!

I have seen him giving fitness classes in a Dublin City Council gym in Dublin City Centre.
    He seems mad into the fitness aspect of things, and I seem to remember he has a 'Fitfood' business

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/philly-mcmahon-s-scientific-approach-to-nutrition-led-to-fitfood-1.2012215

That is the stuff he is into away from GAA.

The way I look at it Dublin were 'too nice' for years on the field and used to get bullied by other teams.

As for behaviour on the pitch it is not unknown that those who are the 'hardmen' on it are completely different off it. Ricey McMenamin from Tyrone would have be a prime example from another county.

I used to hate that fella with a passion, but was secretly annoyed that Dublin did not have a player like him. When you watch Ricey McMenamin on a programme like Loachra Gael on TG4 he is almost shy and timid.

Different character off the pitch.

I believe Tomás O'Sé once got in trouble for saying that Dublin were 'scumbags' but he meant it in a nice way as a compliment. He refined it to 'scamps' I believe.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tomas-o-se-clarifies-comments-after-claiming-dublin-have-a-scumbag-element-34697407.html

As Tomás said every team needs them to be successful.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

gourcuff wrote: »
    is philly likeable? certainly effective as a player but quite nasty, utilises sledging quite a lot, gouging incident, always whinging to referees.. likeable isn't a word i would think ireland would refer to him as... :)

Yes likeable is a word i would think Dublin would refer to him as "this is the Dublin Forum";)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ah that argument wrecks my head some times. The likes of Philly, or anyone that gets that type of attention from other counties like Cillian O'Connor are not going on the pitch to try and appear likeable or make friends. They are there to win the game simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

dunnerc wrote: »
    Yes likeable is a word i would think Dublin would refer to him as "this is the Dublin Forum";)

I think there is an element of ball hopping going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Let’s face it, Dublin will be always be an awful bunch of busthards until they split themselves in 7... and every player is a preprogrammed humanoid of equal legacy to everybody else in the country, but then it will all kick off when X Dublin player is given a free pair of boots from X sportswear giant... the pair of Predators worth 120 euros were given free gratis as a thanks to the player for his loyal custom over 10 years....

A case will be taken to the European Court of Human Rights, the GAA legion of Mary and they are hoping to get on the late late to speak with Ryan...

Philly is a nice fella, end of story.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Let’s face it, Dublin will be always be an awful bunch of busthards until they split themselves in 7... and every player is a preprogrammed humanoid of equal legacy to everybody else in the country, but then it will all kick off when X Dublin player is given a free pair of boots from X sportswear giant... the pair of Predators worth 120 euros were given free gratis as a thanks to the player for his loyal custom over 10 years....

A case will be taken to the European Court of Human Rights, the GAA legion of Mary and they are hoping to get on

Ah them country fellas claim Dubs at every chance when it suits all the same. See the Meath Chronicle claiming Dubs links for example :)

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2019/08/09/blathnaids-boy-brings-another-royal-edge-to-the-dubs/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Ah them country fellas claim Dubs at every chance when it suits all the same. See the Meath Chronicle claiming Dubs links for example :)

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2019/08/09/blathnaids-boy-brings-another-royal-edge-to-the-dubs/

Question for the Dubs here.

How is it that there is little or no weakness in a aging full back line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

thesultan wrote: »

Money

Ladies going well against Tipp. A 12 point lead with 9 minutes left. 0-3 vs 1-12...

Another referee though absolutely out of his depth and giving everything and every call to Tipperary, it’s annoying... Dublin players being blatantly fouled and indicating an advantage where none exists...

A Tipperary player drops the ball and a free is awarded against Leah Caffrey.

Dublin 2-17
    Tipperary 0-4

A reasonably inexperienced team, or a mix of experience and inexperienced young newbies but gelling well, playing well for each other...nice one..

• Advertisement

It really depends on what you qualify as ageing. The cryogenic chambers help😉

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It really depends on what you qualify as ageing. The cryogenic chambers help��

They do..

Dublin backs are from 19 to mid 20’s though, that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

muddle84 wrote: »
    Are people thinking Cluxton is retiring because he hasn't played any of the league? From what I remember he hasn't played the league the last few years has he?

I have not heard anything and assume he will be leading the team out once again come the championship this year. He will turn 40 at the end of year though so he time is limited you would think.

eire4 wrote: »
    I have not heard anything and assume he will be leading the team out once again come the championship this year. He will turn 40 at the end of year though so he time is limited you would think.

I’m guessing he’s staying, it be a funny time to announce your retirement... approaching the onset of the beginning of the championship...

Great that there will be two keepers of the ability of Comerford and Shiel available though to step in, step up and compete... seems like good succession planning by Dublin... I know Evan a bit he’s a very mature , level headed and calm lad, with an even temperament, always in the gym too, so looks after himself, just 23, I think he’ll be ready right now if he was called upon..

He’d have had a good mentor too in Stephen Cluxton they are good mates away from football..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Does anybody know who was the oldest intercounty player in football and what was his age?

What.Now wrote: »
    Does anybody know who was the oldest intercounty player in football and what was his age?

From a Dublin perspective at the moment.
    Cluxton is 39 and Conal Keaney stayed going until 38 for the hurlers.
    John O'Leary played until he was 36.

I had a quick search for the recent past.

Tommy McLoughlin played for Leitrim hurlers in goal aged 47 (about 9 years ago)

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/interview-meet-irelands-oldest-inter-county-gaa-star-36446

Plus oddly according to the article the GAA does not seem to keep a record of the oldest players in the GAA.

Christy Ring stayed playing intercounty for Cork until he was 41/42

Apparently Cluxton is the oldest active GAA player now aged 39

(this article was written last year)

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/senior-statesman-ross-munnelly-ready-for-another-rattle-with-laois-1.4398851

Munnelly is still hanging on for Laois at 38.

Jayus I dunno about that. Did ya see the goal Dublin conceded against Galway?

That was a backline and keeper of

Michael Shiel

Michael Fitzsimons - David Byrne - Eric Lowndes

--

When everyone is fit and played.

Dublin's defence is a combination of things Dublin do not take unnecessary risks, Cluxton (39) is always a handy 'out ball' if the defence gets in trouble and is very composed. He does not give up the ball cheaply. It changed after 2006/2007 with Pat Gilroy

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stephen-cluxton-the-skinny-lad-in-goal-who-forged-dublin-s-endless-empire-1.4571398

"He wasn’t too keen on short kick-outs at the start,” Gilroy says. “He felt it was better to get the ball far away from the goal. But when it was discussed among the group, we teased it out to saying that maybe you could do both. You could draw a team in on top of you with a few short ones and make more room for the long ones. And once he saw logic in it, he really went after it.

“The thing with Stephen is that he is voracious for knowledge. He will leave himself open for information. When I was involved and obviously in the past decade, he has been surrounded with players and coaches who think about the game and see it in a different way. He has an unbelievable talent for pushing guys to put forth ideas. And then working on them until they come off.”

--

Michael Fitzsimons is class player does the simple things well aged 32.

Paul Casey has described him as a 'Dennis Irwin type' character just gets on with it and is underrated.

Others have belatedly recognised Fitzsimons worth

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0916/1076133-fitzsimons-a-once-in-a-generation-talent/

"For his mastery of marking, positioning, sense of danger and the tackle, Mick Fitzsimons is a once in a generation talent"

--

Jonny Cooper plays on the edge all the time and does not give an inch aged 32 now. He is always a red waiting to happen after that first yellow!
    It was interesting against Galway he was moved to half back line.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/3052139/dublin-star-jonny-cooper-reveals-he-is-obsessed-with-defending-and-takes-inspiration-from-other-sports/

Cooper has described his defending in the article above - it is not about using pace.
    "I like the technical side of it, the push and pull of force and the intricate side of my position.
    It’s not always easy to apply it at speed.
    I do slow-mo stuff, it is the one tackle or contact or fingertip that will potentially make a difference."
    --

When one/two of those three lads hang up their boots - Cooper, Fitzsimons, Cluxton. I don't think they will be as solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Money

ROTFLMAO. Usual suspects thanks post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

What.Now wrote: »

The Waterford sub goalie for footballers is 48.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30921379.html%3ftype=amp

Fann Linn wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO. Usual suspects thanks post.

I’m a Dub as was being sarcastic. But well done you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I’m a Dub as was being sarcastic. But well done you.

From one sarcastic post to another, no probs!!

ZzZzZzZz

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone watching the hurling? Atrocious stuff. Hopefully Antrim put us out of our misery and Kenny can be dumped so the county board can come up with some new half arsed plan to produce a nothing burger team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bambi wrote: »
    Anyone watching the hurling? Atrocious stuff. Hopefully Antrim put us out of our misery and Kenny can be dumped so the county board can come up with some new half arsed plan to produce a nothing burger team.

Yeah it's a really horrible game i'm finding. Both teams very defensive. Wexford just coming by their scores a little easier.

The players seem to playing for Kenny but just aren't good enough. I've said it already in this thread but i think there's a real lack of pace and power in our team. A couple of notable exceptions aside.

The Wexford lads blatantly fouling to protect their lead and then complaining like schoolchildren (banging the hurl into the ground) ala Davey Fitz is annoying me more than the Dublin performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Bambi wrote: »

It's very frustrating, one step forward two steps back. They just can't put victories back to back. They've beaten Antrim and Laois but that's no different to what they would have done in recent years...they just don't deliver when it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dispite a fair bit of effort going into hurling we just keep operating at a moderate level a serious impact in the championship seems light years away very little to positive about .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dispite a fair bit of effort going into hurling we just keep operating at a moderate level a serious impact in the championship seems light years away very little to positive about .

The effort paid off when it was put in but I suspect the county board lost all interest after the Daly era and are happy to just see us meander along.

Donegal lad going down holding his head. Play acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin quite pedestrian here. Donegal playing very deep with loads of players back but still scoring much easier than Dublin.

Advertisement