Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Robson99

ArielAtom wrote: »
    They would moan for Ireland.

What were they moaning about ? Surely couldn't have been the ref...thought he had a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

MfMan wrote: »
    Well done on a good win. As a Galway man, it's not a huge shock because I felt Dublin, every bit as physical as Limerick, would have the edge on conditioning. I didn't expect our forwards to have such a collective off-day, but c'est la vie.

An obvious back handed compliment and one that's lazily given to pretty much every Dublin team i can remember.

Dublin are nowhere near the top table when it comes to S and C. Tipp, Galway, Limerick and Kilkenny regularly dismantle us because we can't deal with their power and pace. They generate all the physical pressure in the game and we falter. On the occasions we do make it a contest we invariably wilt in the last 10 because we can't sustain it. Today was an exception. We won because we executed brilliantly and Galway didn't put their best foot forward. Application not capability.

If Kilkenny win the final i'm sure it will be because they have wristy hurlers. We'll just ignore the ground they cover as a team and their power in the physical exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭MfMan

corny wrote: »
    An obvious back handed compliment and one that's lazily given to pretty much every Dublin team i can remember.

Dublin are nowhere near the top table when it comes to S and C. Tipp, Galway, Limerick and Kilkenny regularly dismantle us because we can't deal with their power and pace. They generate all the physical pressure in the game and we falter. On the occasions we do make it a contest we invariably wilt in the last 10 because we can't sustain it. Today was an exception. We won because we executed brilliantly and Galway didn't put their best foot forward. Application not capability.

If Kilkenny win the final i'm sure it will be because they have wristy hurlers. We'll just ignore the ground they cover as a team and their power in the physical exchanges.

I certainly didn't mean it in a begrudging fashion. I did think Galway would win today because their forwards in particular played very well in the league. They just didn't turn up today, and we lost to a way fitter and sharper side. Dublin, if they believe in themselves enough, and mark TJ Reid have a good chance in the final. It doesn't matter if your hurlers aren't 'as wristy', that can be counteracted by heart, determination and will to win. You can win matches in numbers of different ways. Don't stop today, keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

MfMan wrote: »
    Well done on a good win. As a Galway man, it's not a huge shock because I felt Dublin, every bit as physical as Limerick, would have the edge on conditioning. I didn't expect our forwards to have such a collective off-day, but c'est la vie.

Your inside line scored more from play from than Dublin lads so we will need to improve there to get anywhere near Kilkenny in Leinster final. I thought our backs were immense putting Galway forwards pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is dead on what you say, even if the poster did not mean it like that.
    I always get the feeling that the 'traditional hurling' county supporters have a bit of a dismissive attitude to Dublin. I went on the Galway thread and saw a bit of it. One poster giving out how Galway keeps losing to a team 'like Dublin'.

As for the physical conditioning again you are spot on. The Galway team are physical monsters. But for whatever reason yesterday they had no 'go' in them whatsoever yesterday. I would never have thought the game would have panned out like that.

I know well I will be watching the Dublin v KK game expecting the worst, half afraid to watch. The amount of times Dublin ran KK close. Then KK's strong bench kicks in in the last 10 -15 mins or even less. Couple of goals and points the game is suddenly over. Dublin don't have a bench like that. Yesterday Dublin hit as few wides as I think I ever saw them do. Five was it? But it is rare to have that level of accuracy consistently.

But Dublin have to try and get close to those levels to have a chance of winning a game of hurling against the top tier teams, every game. Which is unlikely on a consistent basis.

Plus Dublin do not have the forwards to be a constant goal threat like the top hurling teams. Chris Crummey although he works like a mad thing (and got a goal yesterday), is square peg in a round hole imo.

Getting Con O'Callaghan to tog out in a Dublin jersey with a hurl in his hand could make the world of difference. But for whatever reason he seems happy enough doing his stuff at club level only.

And you are spot on about the wristy hurlers. Dublin a small clutch of them. But nowhere near the levels the top teams have. So their main hope of winning a game of hurling is to hunt in packs. Similar to how Dalo set his Dublin team up. Then work off a good free taker.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I always get the feeling that the 'traditional hurling' county supporters have a bit of a dismissive attitude to Dublin. I went on the Galway thread and saw a bit of it. One poster giving out how Galway keeps losing to a team 'like Dublin'.

Dublin are not a traditional hurling county though, so you can see why they'd be dismissive, we have our days where we put it up to a big county but on the whole if I was from Tipp etc. I would not be expecting to lose to Dublin.

Most of the Galways lads are monsters but I think the demands of inter county hurling are such now that careers are shortened, you need to be a big strong lad with plenty of pace and mobility, thats hard to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dublin have never really been a hurling force we won some when if you came up for the weekend you could line out for us until we actually win an all ire in the modern day will we gain any real respect and i fully understand that i would feel that way about football .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Robson99 wrote: »
    What were they moaning about ? Surely couldn't have been the ref...thought he had a good game

In a word everything.Absolute sense of entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

lol make that claim and then proceed to tell us exaclty why they cant be considered a top team, is it only if someone from outside Dublin says it that you take offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

see the team named for tomorrow no deano or cluxton would like to see the subs named just to see who is available but should be strong enough to make it through .

Rock on bench. Cluxton not named. No surprise as togged with Parnells last week.

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    In a word everything.Absolute sense of entitlement

I just clicked Galway Bay FM out of curiosity.
    I then clicked on their Hurling Leinster SF hurling preview.

https://galwaybayfmsports.podbean.com/e/hurling-talk-leinster-semi-final-preview/

And one of the very early lines was:

'Dublin are one of the most inconsistent teams in the Liam McCarthy'

Turned it off then, the irony gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Gael85 wrote: »
    Rock on bench. Cluxton not named. No surprise as togged with Parnells last week.

Alot of absences from the squad, Lowndes, Murchan, Cooper, McMenamin, apart from the more obvious ones of Cluxton and Small.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

As for the physical conditioning again you are spot on. The Galway team are physical monsters. But for whatever reason yesterday they had no 'go' in them whatsoever yesterday. I would never have thought the game would have panned out like that.

I know well I will be watching the Dublin v KK game expecting the worst, half afraid to watch. The amount of times Dublin ran KK close. Then KK's strong bench kicks in in the last 10 -15 mins or even less. Couple of goals and points the game is suddenly over. Dublin don't have a bench like that. Yesterday Dublin hit as few wides as I think I ever saw them do. Five was it? But it is rare to have that level of accuracy consistently.

But Dublin have to try and get close to those levels to have a chance of winning a game of hurling against the top tier teams, every game. Which is unlikely on a consistent basis.

Plus Dublin do not have the forwards to be a constant goal threat like the top hurling teams. Chris Crummey although he works like a mad thing (and got a goal yesterday), is square peg in a round hole imo.

Getting Con O'Callaghan to tog out in a Dublin jersey with a hurl in his hand could make the world of difference. But for whatever reason he seems happy enough doing his stuff at club level only.

And you are spot on about the wristy hurlers. Dublin a small clutch of them. But nowhere near the levels the top teams have. So their main hope of winning a game of hurling is to hunt in packs. Similar to how Dalo set his Dublin team up. Then work off a good free taker.

Yeah it's a valid point for me. Dublin's goal yesterday was a brilliant score. Yet the co-commentator, whose name escapes me, spoke only of 'Dublin's organisation' when analysing the goal. I thought, if that was Bubbles O'Dwyer squaring for Callanan to kill it dead, sidestep and bury from a narrow angle you'd have a very different narrative. Organisation, workrate, heart, fitness, they're all used as back handed compliments when it comes to Dublin. Cold day in hell before any of them will recognise individual brilliance. It's always been like that though. Nothing new.

I wish it was true, that we are physically a match for the best, because like it or not that's what wins games these days. Galway took us as a soft touch yesterday and could never get to the pitch game. They didn't put the type of pressure on us that we did on them. So what happened? We showed our skills and executed brilliantly. They fumbled all over the pitch and their skills let them down. How often does that happen the other way around? Dublin lads fumbling under pressure while the opposition showcase their talents. All the time and it's because we're under more pressure physically. Nothing to do wrists or traditional county bollox. Every inter county player is a joy to watch under no pressure.

They fumbled all over the pitch and their skills let them down. How often does that happen the other way around? Dublin lads fumbling under pressure while the opposition showcase their talents. All the time and it's because we're under more pressure physically. Nothing to do wrists or traditional county bollox. Every inter county player is a joy to watch under no pressure.

I couldn't believe how much fumbling and dropping the sliotar Galway were doing. You are right it was like a role reversal. I hope Dublin are able to give KK as much of a rattle. But that Cody fella never takes any game for granted.
    In fact he is one of the few lads from outside Dublin who is keen to talk the Dublin hurlers up when he gets chance.

If anyone does not fancy going the GAAGO route for the Dublin v Wexford match.

It is on South East Radio Live

https://www.southeastradio.ie/listen-live/

Ref 'not letting much go' apparently! :D

2 points from 21 mins by Dublin playing with the wind.

Wexford 0-3 0-2 up after 20 mins at the water break. Wexford giving it a go from the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dublin are playing ****e atm so missing nothing ha.

Another miss from Costello. Rock will have no issues walking back into the team anyway.

• Advertisement

Dublin 5 points to 3 couple easy frees for Costello.

It's the same old story with Costello he's just not consistent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Brutal match.

Dublin having to work far to hard for a 3 point lead here. I mean wind or not Wexford are one the worst teams in country if by time games done we haven't won this by at least 10 15 points it won't really say much for us.

6 points in a half against Division 4 team playing with the wind. Dreadful stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin having to work far to hard for a 3 point lead here. I mean wind or not Wexford are one the worst teams in country if by time games done we haven't won this by at least 10 15 points it won't really say much for us.

3 point lead with a noticeable strong wind in their favour.

HT Dublin 0-6 Wexford 0-3

The spread is apparently 24-25 points...

MFPM wrote: »
    6 points in a half against Division 4 team playing with the wind. Dreadful stuff...

That's as bad as we have been in Lenister for years.

Just made Wexford look okay there. I say okay because there ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very poor from us basic stuff really sloppy know its the first championship match but at the moment will really need our best fit for the bigger days .

Advertisement