Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I know stevo hates the limelight but it is certainly an unusual way to effectively retire from inter county highly unlikely he will return barring a load of injuries he certainly did it his way .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

I know stevo hates the limelight but it is certainly an unusual way to effectively retire from inter county highly unlikely he will return barring a load of injuries he certainly did it his way .

It's not a great way to deal with it in my view, other players have stepped away and just issued a statement. Cluxton could have done the same and put an end to the discussion and distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭C__MC

Certainly a new era for the dubs has begun
    A very new team today, I actually think meath could ask questions in the semi of them

still would expect to beat meath but longford would beat wexford i think and the margin was 22 pts today so if we play with a similar team next day we will give them some hope i feel we need to step up big time from now on.

Would Cluxton have taken issue with the extra training that Farrell got the ban for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MFPM wrote: »
    It's not a great way to deal with it in my view, other players have stepped away and just issued a statement. Cluxton could have done the same and put an end to the discussion and distraction.

I’d say the onus was more on the Dublin management ... he’s Dublin’s captain, one of the greatest footballers in history, the most successful...

Why is Dublin’s captain not playing ? Farrell had to be aware that the media as well as supporters would be all over that and asking....

Should have made a statement along the lines of...

“ Dublin’s captain and record breaking goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton has asked at present to not be considered for selection for the squad, Even Comerford and Michael Shiel have been selected. “

Then again, was he unselected ? Either way, unimpressed by Dessie on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Very disappointing day out.

There comes a time in every team where there is a transition. Look at our defence.

No McCaffrey, McMahon clinging on but finished, Cooper injured, Murchan injured?, Small injured, McDaid injured, Reliable back-up sub Daly gone, Cluxton gone, McCarthy needed in midfield as much as in defence, O'Sullivan gone, O'Carroll gone.

Compare the back seven line-up today to Cluxton, Cooper, O'Carroll, McMahon, Small, O'Sullivan, McCaffrey. We are kidding ourselves if they are at the same level. And McCauley at his peak would have stolen a heap of ball today.

That being said, they might still be good enough to win this All-Ireland and a few more over the next decade. The muscle memory of McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny, Howard, Rock and O'Callaghan could be enough to see us through. However, we don't look like we are winning five-in-a-row from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Someone sent me this 8 of the 21? From 2019 played yesterday.

Is dessie trying to do it his way and not I Jim’s shadows?

Stephen deserves a proper sent off

I don't know the fitness of a few of the players that I would expect to start but a couple of lads that have been getting games are nowhere near the level required .The way Stevo has bowed out is also a bit odd should be done and dusted leaving no room for speculation and move on .Yesterday's performance was the poorest in a long time so Dessie has a lot to get right and any remaining games come thick and fast .Game on big time now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

Trampas wrote: »
    Someone sent me this 8 of the 21? From 2019 played yesterday.

Is dessie trying to do it his way and not I Jim’s shadows?

Stephen deserves a proper sent off

2019: S Cluxton; D Byrne, M Fitzsimons, J Cooper; J McCaffrey, E Murchan, J Small; B Fenton, J McCarthy; N Scully, C Kilkenny, B Howard; P Mannion, C O'Callaghan, D Rock. Subs: D Connolly, P McMahon, C Costello, C O'Sullivan, K McMamamon, MD Macauley

The reality is we are in transition . Of the 2019 team Cluxton, McCaffrey, Mannion, Connolly, O'Sullivan, MDMA and more than likely Kevin Mc are retired. Cooper, Murchan and Small are injured. Philly is past his prime. The young players coming through are not at the same level as lads missing.

• Advertisement

Would Cluxton have taken issue with the extra training that Farrell got the ban for?

I'd say Cluxton made his decision last year and didn't tell anyone.

Farrell did state he had been back for some sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MFPM wrote: »

Why does he need to do anything?

I find it refreshing somebody who just goes and doesn't feel the need to justify it or explain it to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Why does he need to do anything?

I find it refreshing somebody who just goes and doesn't feel the need to justify it or explain it to anybody.

Agree 100%. Farrell even said himself, he has stepped away to consider things and someone that has given as much as Cluxton has deserves the bit of space and privacy.

Always struck me as quiet, almost shy, so not surprised if he goes out like this. Quietly and on his terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm more worried about our general play becoming so slow and laboured than Cluxton to be honest.

We need a massive improvement against Meath the next day yesterday was awful at times. I don't know if its so many lads finishing up or something Dessie has changed but where not as affective as we once where. Its like where playing in first gear and happy to play keep ball for the majority of the game until the other team slows down a bit and opens up.

Before we would play at a much higher tempo and make the spaces ourselves instead of waiting to be turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is there any chance we were trying not to show our hand before the almost inevitable AISF?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dobman88 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Farrell even said himself, he has stepped away to consider things and someone that has given as much as Cluxton has deserves the bit of space and privacy.

Always struck me as quiet, almost shy, so not surprised if he goes out like this. Quietly and on his terms.

It would be typical of Cluxton NOT to want to make an announcement. He might have to give an interview! He was consistently never bothered with any of that craic. It really amuses me to be honest. I love the way he does things his way and is very consistent on it.

The most nervous I have ever heard Cluxton was giving AIF/LF speeches. Plenty of times he would lose his place fumble, get nervous. Head down reading it like a nervous best man at a wedding. And the crowd would go 'whaaay'. And that was even after all the practice he got!

He does not have to give any interviews. He does not have to say anything at all if he wants to. It is amateur sport. He is not contractually obliged to give interviews. The fella is a legend and even stopped playing with Parnells Seniors (when they went through the mercenary period) - because he wanted to play with his mates he grew up with.

That to me is the measure of the fella. Walk away saying nothing if he wants. He is his own man and owes no one anything.

I thought of another fella who is neither ruled in/or out of Dublin yet. But is much more comfortable in front of the camera - Jack McCaffery. But no one gave out about the fact he never said he retired!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Gael85 wrote: »
    2019: S Cluxton; D Byrne, M Fitzsimons, J Cooper; J McCaffrey, E Murchan, J Small; B Fenton, J McCarthy; N Scully, C Kilkenny, B Howard; P Mannion, C O'Callaghan, D Rock. Subs: D Connolly, P McMahon, C Costello, C O'Sullivan, K McMamamon, MD Macauley

The reality is we are in transition . Of the 2019 team Cluxton, McCaffrey, Mannion, Connolly, O'Sullivan, MDMA and more than likely Kevin Mc are retired. Cooper, Murchan and Small are injured. Philly is past his prime. The young players coming through are not at the same level as lads missing.

There definitely a clear dip. There has been little signs here or there in the last while as fellas retire. Team not as ruthless, off the ball movement not as good? Only going on last least game I attended in CP. Think it was Monaghan? Ages ago now! Would love to be able to see them at a game to see if this has got worse or changed.

Was there a few league games lately where fellas were not taking percentage shots and went for the 'hail mary' job?

Is there the same level of 'go' among the players as the personnel slowly change?

Feck sake even the thought of Meath ending this run and going down as the team, that beat the greatest team of all time makes me feel a bit sick. It would be my worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

I think people need to relax a little about yesterday's performance and also the Cluxton uncertainty. On the former, it's the first round of the Leinster championship, I think the team can be forgiven for not exceeding 20/25 points for once. Let's see how the next few games go.

On the latter- I think Cluxton, no matter what he decides, has earned the right to do whatever he likes in terms of finishing up. Once the required respect is given to Dessie, which of course it would be. In my opinion he's one of our greatest players, and has given incredible service to his county- there is no onus on him to do things any particular way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

There definitely a clear dip. There has been little signs here or there in the last while as fellas retire. Team not as ruthless, off the ball movement not as good? Only going on last least game I attended in CP. Think it was Monaghan? Ages ago now! Would love to be able to see them at a game to see if this has got worse or changed.

Was there a few league games lately where fellas were not taking percentage shots and went for the 'hail mary' job?

Is there the same level of 'go' among the players as the personnel slowly change?

Feck sake even the thought of Meath ending this run and going down as the team, that beat the greatest team of all time makes me feel a bit sick. It would be my worst nightmare.

Something has changed somewhere we just don't seem as quick in movement there taking extra passes and longer to shoot. Its not like these lads cant kick a ball from distance either!

I know there was a wind there yesterday but we weren't playing into it the whole game yet we where running around passing sideways far to often against a team we could of easily broken into with a bit of pacey forward play. Sure we do it even on days where the weather is perfect its just become a pattern of our game now and where gonna get caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭Rosita

The most nervous I have ever heard Cluxton was giving AIF/LF speeches. Plenty of times he would lose his place fumble, get nervous. Head down reading it like a nervous best man at a wedding.

Never realised that until last year when there was no crowd and you could actually hear and concentrate on what was being said. Very very nervous.

Would disagree with the 'he owes nothing' point though. Think his team manager and potential replacement are owed the respect of a definitive call.

Does he play in goals for his club

He seemed to speak fairly decent on the SG a few times

C__MC wrote: »
    Does he play in goals for his club

Playing centre back this year.

Rosita wrote: »
    Never realised that until last year when there was no crowd and you could actually hear and concentrate on what was being said. Very very nervous.

Would disagree with the 'he owes nothing' point though. Think his team manager and potential replacement are owed the respect of a definitive call.

Maybe Cluxton could just have a chat with Comerford/Sheil on the quiet?
    I think that would be the most sensible way for him to do it.

There has not been so much 'will he/won't he' chat. Since Diarmuid Connolly!

With only four matches possible I think a definite decision should have been made and that is that and end any will he or won't he speculation. Maybe some know for certain in the camp would be fairer on the team I think if they do .

With only four matches possible I think a definite decision should have been made and that is that and end any will he or won't he speculation. Maybe some know for certain in the camp would be fairer on the team I think if they do .

He must be planning to correct a lot of exam papers this year. Isn't Cluxton a teacher?

What else has he to do during the summer anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I dont often agree with this fella, dont think I ever have, but he is on the ball here imo. The overriding theme of the Dublin set up in the last 10 years has been one of absolutely everything done in a very particular way. All the will he wont he stuff is media and fan driven. I'd say with absolute certainty that Cluxton, Farrell and the team know exactly what the story is. And at the end of the day, he isn't required to announce anything publicly. He's just a chap playing a game he loves.

https://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/1412160830280503301?s=19

Dubs related stuff on the GAA hour.
    First 8/9 mins

Woolly, Alan Brogan and Colm Cavanagh.

Gas part to me was how they spoke about Cluxton.

Woolly : I played with Cluxton he is an odd sort of character

Alan: He is a strange captain... well... I wouldn’t say strange...

Cavanagh: Dessie knows more than he is letting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Cluxton preferred to play with his mates that the band of mercenaries Parnells brought in at the time Wolly was there. Proper order

Advertisement