Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m not sure I thought Meath deserved to win. Meath had to work harder , Dublin seemed to be just going through the motions. even if they didn’t score in the second half they still would of won the game!

The Dublin blitz after the first water break in first half reminded me of the dubs in the 00s that blitzed teams with 10 minutes of awesomeness but the intensity stopped afterwards. It was usually enough to beat teams below the top table but always wasn’t enough against the teams who would contest the final.

Certainly does have the feel of a team possibly at the end of their dominance. Or maybe beating Leinster teams by 5 or 20 points doesn’t really make any difference in the scheme of things. I guess we will find out over the coming weeks but that was an extremely poor showing today from Dublin. Wonder if it was the perfect tonic to get them back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It would have been really embarrassing for Dublin if they threw a 10 point lead away and lost. There could have been no excuses. At one stage I thought Meath were likely to get a second goal.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

The ref gave Meath a lot in that second half and that certainly helped them build up a bit of steam . They had absolutely noting to loose so went for it in the second half .The Dublin physio was the busiest man in the ground and i thought the ref let them away with a lot - thats fine if its the same for both teams but He punished Dublin for every challenge . I never felt Dublin where going to loose but they could have made it a bit easier on themselves , Not winning by 6 is that much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'll agree about the ref in the second half he gave Dublin absolutely nothing, not an inch. Didn't change the fact our level of performance nose-dived though. I think fitness and experience won in the end there today. There's still a lot of very very good players in that team but it's not coming together as it used to. So many ins and outs are really halting us. I think a lot of the newer lads coming in over the last year or two are probably coming in at the very worst time. They would have sailed in there in previous years and had the luxury of everything around them running at the right level but now it's a very different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Several lads on the bench today who have been around without really making an impact in previous seasons so it shows our options are quite limited. would concur about the ref but shouldn't disquse the abject second half bar maybe the last 5 mins or so where we saw it out OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭C__MC

Actually feel a little sorry for dessie if being honest, covid, retirements, cluxton, media

He has done fairly well let's not forget, hasn't lost to Kerry yet mind you despite the all Ireland already being over for this year. Two top two league finishes, 1All Ireland, back to back leinster finals.

Dublin are rebuilding, today was poor but Jim also had some slack error ridden performances perhaps not just in leinster.

Meath are a top eight team, they gave dublin a good going for 35 mins in 2019 as well. Credit should go to them perhaps for making a game of it.

Small and murchan will be huge additions as well Johnny Cooper. Basquel needs to start also, dessie needs a bit of time to rebuild.

Dublin will be still hard bet,

yeh, would of been embarrassing alright. I guess I’m just not sure how much was about dubs switching off or something more rotten that will be exposed in bigger games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Or something more rotten that will be exposed in bigger games ?? Care to explain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The fact a 6 point win over meath feels like the end of an era for Dublin fans highlights how dire things are in the province. So when you get things motoring again in 2 or 3 years we can look forward to the annual 15+ hammerings again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I would say thats fair and probably accurate in terms of how the season will pan out.

When I say rotten I mean has there been a shift that explains the capitulation yesterday in the second half that we haven’t really seen from Dublin in a long time. Have they finally dropped some of their standards? Standards in quality replacing players leaving and even just a slight drop in intensity?!

A lot of experience has left in a short space of time, has there been any rumblings (but if a troubled camp) about why or is has it just been a bunch of coincidental retirements and players choosing to do other things?

It happens eventually to every team. Dublin will not dominate forever. Is Farrell as good as Gavin (did a Gavin team ever nearly let an 11 point lead slip in a game?) or did the team effectively win last year on auto pilot from Gavin’s good work? I’m only wondering out loud, not trying to imply anything factual. It’s a fair question as Dublin have been so far ahead of everybody they could prob make it to an all Ireland final with nobody as their manager.

Delighted with the win and very lucky to be at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He must have gotten Tommy Lyons in for the half time team talk.

---

Kilkenny was anonymous out on the right for the entire first half.

Also, some atypical wayward shots throughout.

Enjoyed the needle of the game I have to say. Much better than a 21pt hammering.

I honestly think Meath deserved to win that one yesterday. It is the best I have seen Meath play for a long time. The highlights on the telly did not do Meath justice. Meath played keep ball when they had to bit of composure. And quickly changed to a solid defensive shape when they had to as well. It is clear to me Meath have improved and show less fear. Willing to run at Dublin when they saw the chance.

As for the Leinster province there are too many lower division and weak lower division teams in it. Simple as that and people act surprised that there is a gulf in standard. The provincial system is an acharacic joke. You only have to look at Connacht and Munster. That is discussion for different threads though

As for Dublin I feel the 'empire is crumbling'. It must have been what the Romans felt like! 😀

They have gone from a team of really top notch 10/12 players - plus a great bench. To very dependant on a top 5/6- plus no 'bench'.

If Meath continue with their progress there should not be 15+ hammerings in 2/3 years. A decent team lasts 8 plus years before it naturally requires rebuilding. Meath have rebuilt and got stronger. Dublin are in the process of rebuilding and have got weaker. It is up to Meath to take advantage of that in the coming years.

not that surprised by a six point margin but the manner of it was do not think Meath deserved to win but sometimes the second half is remembered more than the first if a team comes back into it and falls short plenty think they should have won .We played well first half but half time score was a little false but we should have taken advantage and drive on and not give them hope instead we fell away like teams of old and could have lost it .Of course i am looking at the match with blue glasses but i think Meath are fairly average but we certainly gave them a boost with our performance .

Jayus I was shocked at the margin and the manner, I assumed Dublin would have pushed on and the game would have been over as a contest at the 50 min mark. 11 points up game over you would have assumed.

The scoreline of 6 does not give a true reflection of the game at all. Meath looked to have goals in them. Could easily have had two more on another day. And Dublin had to revert to keep ball to take the sting out of the game. It is a long time since I did that level of roaring at a Leinster football match. The Meath fellas were sick when the full time went. They knew they were close to being legends.

I actually found the Dublin football match more exciting than the Dublin hurling match the day before. I didn't think I would be saying that beforehand!

Yes i agree the Dublin team of the last few years would have i think pushed on and render the lst quater a non event the reason i thought the margin would tighter this year was really based on the last match we were poor against Wexford and Meath hammered Longford who may even be better than Wexford .Well hopefully we get back on track next day and see what happens .

And now begins the rush for tickets like the good old days...

Will tickets go on sale ? I presume demand will mean all club tickets will be snapped up and none left for public . . :(

• Advertisement

I assumed that Ulster and Leinster would be double headers on 01/08 to maximise crowds. But seeing as they're not gonna be on the same day, I can't imagine it'll be that hard to make am acquisition. It's the later rounds I'm more terrified of.

The idea of not being at a semi final with a crowd for the first time in 20 years doesn't appeal to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What about season ticket holders do we get screwed again?

I think Last years AI final is the first Dublin one I have missed since I started going to games in the late 80s. Wont be at any final this year if Dublin get there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tosspot

Meath are not a definite top 8 team. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, Donegal. Then you have Meath, Kildare, Cork, Roscommon, Derry, Armagh and possibly a few others all at a similar standard.

I think Dublin still have as strong of a 15-20 as anyone but they are relying a lot more on in house games with such a lack of competition in Leinster. This is where the few retiring/pulling out makes a difference. Backs did not look near as sharp at the weekend.

Of course. Though technically, there's no season ticket holders this year.

It was a balls. A fine record I had.

My brother had been to 100% of Dublin all Ireland finals in his life time. That's a record to be annoyed at bring ruined.

I presume the crowd limit is the same for the Kildare game so most likely few if any will be on ticket master.

Can’t really count last year’s ‘championship’ more like an o’byrne cup feel to it all. This year I will try and get to all the football provincial finals in the one year if they are all on in CP. I don’t think I ever did that before. Feels like I am making up for lost time watching games.

As regards the AI final football attendance at dublin matches my record was broken before it even started! Missing 83, 85, 92, 94, 95. It was real nod and a wink stuff then. 2011 was my second football final. 2010 was my first one at all as a neutral. Was spoiled with finals with dublin from then on. And even attended the 2012 Mayo Donegal final Dub in minor. Not half as impressive as attending all dub senior finals though! I don’t feel like a proper fan in comparison to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

Anyone hear rumours are that a certain Castleknock player is going to walk from the panel.

Unhappy with management and backroom staff etc plus treatment of Cluxton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dubs a point up at half-time in the u20. Offaly will be pleased to be that close I guess and also disappointed because they played most of the football in that half, but poor defending for 2 goals has cost them, the second goal in particular was just stupid defending.

Advertisement