If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Soundbar

Options
  • 01-03-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All,

My days of enjoying a multiple speaker home theater setup have sadly come to an end due to a sitting room renovation.

Anyway, one upside is that a soundbar has been deemed asteically acceptable. It's going to be paired with 55inch LG C9.

Looking at online reviews Sony HTST5000, Samsung Q80R (rears of Q90R won't fly) or one of the higher end LG soundbars look like options. The reviews on LG kit not as positive as Sony or Samsung kit.

Not a Sonos guy but I heard demo of their Playbar with the Sonos sub and was impressed. Certainly for music playback sounded maybe the best to my ear. Virtual surround was ok but maybe not as punchy as others. Main concern is the Playbar is a few years old now and no HDMI connection or as future proofed as others.

What would you recommend. Listening will be mostly tv (Netflix, Prime) shows and movies ocassionally some Blu Rays. Probably 20% music all of which will be streamed.

Needs to be capable of delivering decent dynamic range at low volumes. My outgoing separates set up excelled at that and while I don't expect soundbar to match don't want to make huge sacrifice there.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi

From the units you have mentioned I personally would go for the Sony HTST5000.  It is an excellent soundbar and has Dolby Atmos, where as the Sonos dosent.

While the Sonos Playbar when combined with the sub sounds very good and integrates seamlessly with an existing sonos set up, and has the ability to add wireless rears is a benefit.  I think its lack of Dolby Atmos pushes it into second place compared to the Sony 

Regards Stephen 

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Omacron

Are there other soundbars I should consider outside of these? I don't think I can stretch to Sennheiser one. The Sony seems to get either amazing or very average reviews strangely which is a little concerning.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Omacron wrote: »
    Are there other soundbars I should consider outside of these? I don't think I can stretch to Sennheiser one. The Sony seems to get either amazing or very average reviews strangely which is a little concerning.
    Hi Omacron.

There really isn't anything else around the Sony is price or performance unfortunately.

The only other is the Q90R but as the rears don't suit its a non runner. (Its also currently out of stock)
    The Q80R has been removed from our website and it looks like we will not see any more stock of them unfortunately.

The LG range does come in cheaper and in my opinion sound very good for soundbars but if the reviews are putting you off I wouldn't purchase one as you would have already set it up to fail based on whichever reviews you have read.

However you can check out our Richersounds customer reviews on the SK9Y on the link below:
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-sk9y.html

You are always going to fine negative reviews for pretty much everything online unfortunately.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.