Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pooling outside house

• 01-03-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,
    I moved into a house a few months ago and after a shower of rain water tends to pool by the side of the house. I have attached two pics showing this.

There is no sign of dampness inside the house at the moment but do you know if this could cause damage to the house long term? Foundation damage, or rising dampness etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drill some drainage holes with a masonry bit see if it has an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

Assume after drilling the drainage holes that it okay if the water drains under the concrete path?

I was thinking plan B is to add a drain where the water is pooling and pipe it to the existing gutter system or is that overkill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

WEST wrote: »
    Assume after drilling the drainage holes that it okay if the water drains under the concrete path?

I was thinking plan B is to add a drain where the water is pooling and pipe it to the existing gutter system or is that overkill?

Not over kill in my opinion, this is not good.
    Something like this might be easier to work with
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/322846716644

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Not over kill in my opinion, this is not good.
    Something like this might be easier to work with
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/322846716644

There's a fairly wide channel on that particular one.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Put in an eco drain and link it up to the down pipe drain . Not a big job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

There's a fairly wide channel on that particular one.

My local green grocer got them fitted in the back alley as ground was compacted and flooded easily,got digger in and added a 2 foot wide cement base with those drains incorporated and looks fantastic and shop now dry.:D

greasepalm wrote: »
    My local green grocer got them fitted in the back alley as ground was compacted and flooded easily,got digger in and added a 2 foot wide cement base with those drains incorporated and looks fantastic and shop now dry.:D

Whoosh...........

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is that down pipe blocked at the bottom?
    Not that that would solve the pooling problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Doubt it as its a hard surface water has no where to run off to.Even my patio was under 1 1/2 water after a very bad shower and that was 2 x 2 slabs in a large area.

Looks like a cowboy tarmacadam job was done boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

Cerco wrote: »
    Is that down pipe blocked at the bottom?
    Not that that would solve the pooling problem

Down pipe is not blocked thank god. Will look into the Eco drain or steel drain linked by Calahonda52.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

WEST wrote: »
    Hi,
    I moved into a house a few months ago and after a shower of rain water tends to pool by the side of the house. I have attached two pics showing this.

There is no sign of dampness inside the house at the moment but do you know if this could cause damage to the house long term? Foundation damage, or rising dampness etc.
    Considering that there are minimum distances required between soakaways and houses then it would make sense that water soaking away right beside the foundations would not be good for the house. Also, the earth rod cover seems to be underwater which can't be good for the connections long term.

The suggestions that you run a channel drain to the existing surface water drain is a good one but will require quite a bit of work and you may have to install an s-bend depending how you join it to the surface water drain.

One other possibility, if the tarmac is meant to channel the water away from the house to a drain or to nearby ground then it may be possible to compress the tarmac to direct the water away from the house. It's not always possible but there may be a point where you can compress the tarmac by a couple of centimetres and it would drain the water to a lower point. I've seen people doing this with ride-on rollers but there may be some other way of doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

It is a basic principle in laying pathways, driveways etc that the fall is away from the house towards a garden preferably, or a drain. From those photos, it looks like the fall is towards the house? If it were me, I'd consider a new tarmac job with the falls away from the house. Expensive but a better long term solution. Pools of standing water beside your home are never a good thing. At best you'll get slippy paths with moss and algae. Driling holes in the tarmac will cause longer term issue when water drips down the holes, freezes and lifts/cracks the tarmac. You could think about drilling a few holes in that aj cover as a short term solution to let the water drain into the shore perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

D13exile wrote: »
    It is a basic principle in laying pathways, driveways etc that the fall is away from the house towards a garden preferably, or a drain. From those photos, it looks like the fall is towards the house? If it were me, I'd consider a new tarmac job with the falls away from the house. Expensive but a better long term solution. Pools of standing water beside your home are never a good thing. At best you'll get slippy paths with moss and algae. Driling holes in the tarmac will cause longer term issue when water drips down the holes, freezes and lifts/cracks the tarmac. You could think about drilling a few holes in that aj cover as a short term solution to let the water drain into the shore perhaps?

Looks like the tarmac is a new addition. The original area around the house is indeed falling from the house, however it now seems to run into a new section that runs back towards the house.

I'd second adding some holes to the drain cover, but longer term you need a new drain at the lowest spot and connect this up to the existing drainage.

Advertisement