Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which alarm system for a house

Options
  • 01-03-2020 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi all we were recently broken into and there is only a standard old alarm in the house with some room sensors and door sensors on front back and garage door etc. (We only purchased the house recently)there is a phonewatch sticker on the keypad inside the door I think it’s dated 2005. We were looking into upgrading the system and were thinking of the monitored alarm that phone watch provide. The lad on the phone thought that the garage wouldn’t be able to be covered as it would be too far away from the house even though it’s only about 4 metres from the back door. Has any one any recommendations of phonewatch or any other company. I like the fact it’s monitored which gives me some comfort when we would be away. Also thing of a few cameras around the outside of house. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Don't do phonewatch. It's proprietary so you're tied to them forever.

Go for a GSD or HKC, others along here will tell you what each can do but I'm leaning towards the GSD myself because it's cheaper to run and polls more often (no point in being alerted 15-30 minutes later).

Get 3 quotes from site surveys not just someone on the phone as every house is different.
    Then pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dupont wrote: »
    Hi all we were recently broken into and there is only a standard old alarm in the house with some room sensors and door sensors on front back and garage door etc. (We only purchased the house recently)there is a phonewatch sticker on the keypad inside the door I think it’s dated 2005. We were looking into upgrading the system and were thinking of the monitored alarm that phone watch provide. The lad on the phone thought that the garage wouldn’t be able to be covered as it would be too far away from the house even though it’s only about 4 metres from the back door. Has any one any recommendations of phonewatch or any other company. I like the fact it’s monitored which gives me some comfort when we would be away. Also thing of a few cameras around the outside of house. Tia

Most systems are hybrid so connecting wire free devices to cover the garage should be no problem, especially if only 4 meters away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Siemens Vanderbilt 4320-has instant polling and a free app .I dont think any of the others do?
    Run sensors wired if possible especially on older houses where wiring is there if theres additional 2 or 3 pirs try running them wired. This saves cost on rf expanders ,rf faults and alarm notices on app, maintainace, cost of wireless pirs etc .Put the internet ethernet modem on battery backup so if theres a power failure it wont notify you.

Advertisement