Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about loosing deposit

Options
  • 01-03-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm an excellent Tennant staying in a short term let. I've kept the place immaculate, everything paid promptly. Whilst cleaning out fire this morning and ember fell and burnt hole in carpet. Approx 1cm in diameter. Very old grubby carpet if that makes any difference. Will my deposit be withheld over this. Deposit was 950 euro. Should I write a note now to the letting agency and tell them? Tenancy finishes end of month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They can only claim for the devaluated (I might have just made that word up) cost of the carpet and fitting. That's done over 8 years so say it's 4 years old they can claim half. Not sure if you're covered by the RTB on a short term let, you may have to go down the route of the small claims procedure.

As for reporting it, very much in two minds. On the one had they may not notice on the other hand if they do notice then they're more likely to be a bollix about it as you didn't report it, but if they're going to be a bollix anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

As a landlord, surely if there is a fire place the odd ember is to be expected to burn a small bit of the carpet, think you've been very good to keep it that immaculate.

Personally, i wouldn't mention it...deal with the situation if and when it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

They can only claim for the devaluated (I might have just made that word up) cost of the carpet and fitting. That's done over 8 years so say it's 4 years old they can claim half.

Where do people come up with this? Maybe it's true but I doubt it.

If a tenant causes damage, the intelligent thing for them to do is put it right. Or contact the landlord so the repair work can be done at a time that suits the tenant.

Failing that, the house may have to stay off the market while the landlord arranges for the damage to be repaired. So the landlord will lose out on rent, plus the cost of repairs.

antix80 wrote: »
    Where do people come up with this? Maybe it's true but I doubt it.

Other Landlords on boards with experience of the RTB and my accountant.
    Failing that, the house may have to stay off the market while the landlord arranges for the damage to be repaired. So the landlord will lose out on rent, plus the cost of repairs.

In fairness that's a good point.

Other Landlords on boards with experience of the RTB and my accountant.

Your accountant is referring to allowing the expense against tax.

If a tenant broke a window that was 7 years old, I guarantee you they are liable to more than 1/8th of the replacement cost. They'll be hit with the full replacement cost.

• Advertisement

Some advice for op

Try to repair it yourself.. At least take the look off it. It will look more like wear and tear rather than damage.. And on a walk through the estate agent might not identify it as new damage.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/repair-burned-carpet-40822.html

Your accountant is referring to allowing the expense against tax.

If a tenant broke a window that was 7 years old, I guarantee you they are liable to more than 1/8th of the replacement cost. They'll be hit with the full replacement cost.

So I'm getting (almost) double the cost back. Don't see that one flying tbh but I'll leave it to the more experienced LL's to confirm either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Can't cut a square out of the corner of the room and repair the carpet? No one would be any the wiser.

So I'm getting (almost) double the cost back. Don't see that one flying tbh but I'll leave it to the more experienced LL's to confirm either way.

No, it's the cost to put things right.

If you break an antique vase, you don't pay 1/8th the original cost price.

But I've got 7/8th of the cost back through tax, and 8/8ths of the cost from the tenant and I'll claim the same 8/8ths back from tax again...

• Advertisement

But I've got 7/8th of the cost back through tax, and 8/8ths of the cost from the tenant and I'll claim the same 8/8ths back from tax again...

Ah.. Ok. . I see you don't understand how tax deductions work.

Ah.. Ok. . I see you don't understand how tax deductions work.

I'm more than happy to have it explained. I can only go on what I've been told previously. I believe the thread was about a tenant breaking a fridge and the residual value being gone as it was over 8 years old. Note this was actually the tenant breaking the fridge and not wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Lads, it's a 1cm spot on ****ty old carpet, some perspective is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

It was an absolute accident, I'm gutted over it. Place us owner occupied, he's away. Lets it out while away. Carpet about 30 years old.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Lads, it's a 1cm spot on ****ty old carpet, some perspective is needed.

Some people will see it as an excuse to replace the entire carpet with a new one and charge the OP for it.

It was an absolute accident, I'm gutted over it. Place us owner occupied, he's away. Lets it out while away. Carpet about 30 years old.

Okay he'll definitely notice. Report it will be your best bet and hope that the owner is reasonable.

I'm more than happy to have it explained. I can only go on what I've been told previously. I believe the thread was about a tenant breaking a fridge and the residual value being gone as it was over 8 years old. Note this was actually the tenant breaking the fridge and not wear and tear.

It would be hard to justify charging a tenant for a brand new carpet especially if the carpet was at the end of its useful life. So the main concern is that the house cannot be viewed or rented out pending repair/replacement of the carpet. That's on the op.

Tax works like this.

Cost of carpet. 1000

Incorrect tax calc (year 1)
    Rent 10000
    Carpet 1000
    Income liable to tax 9000
    Tax 40%: 3600

Correct tax calc (year 1 to 8)
    Rent 10000
    Carpet (1/8 of 1000) 125
    Income liable to tax 9875
    Tax 40% : 3950

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

It's a tiny section of manky old carpet. Stop fretting over it. I agree with other posters who say to cut a small bit from an inconspicuous part of the carpet - in a corner, or under a press or couch - cut the burnt bit out and glue the new piece in. I've done it and it looks fine. Maybe buy a cheap rug to put in front of the fireplace to avoid any further accidents. You've done well to have only one burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Windows and antique vases aren't wear items that depreciate to almost no value over the course of a decade or so like a carpet does. If the carpet is actually 30(!) years old as the tenant says, it should by all rights have been replaced ages ago. Hell, by weight that thing is probably composed of more mildew and dust than carpet at this point. The RTB even addresses this on their site:
    The claim [for deposit deductions] must be reasonable. It is important to remember that an adjudicator or Tribunal are unlikely to award the price of a new sofa when the one damaged was 9 years old and had seen considerable use. Similarly, when landlords fixing the damage also decide to improve the overall quality of the property or its contents, these extra costs cannot be passed onto the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

dennyk wrote: »
    Windows and antique vases aren't wear items that depreciate to almost no value over the course of a decade or so like a carpet does. If the carpet is actually 30(!) years old as the tenant says, it should by all rights have been replaced ages ago. Hell, by weight that thing is probably composed of more mildew and dust than carpet at this point. The RTB even addresses this on their site:

RTB will not be involved here, seems the op lives in an owner occupied house, albeit the owner is away, if it is still his primary residence and he has his own bedroom, the op is more than likely a licensee.

On the plus side, if owner retains the deposit, the op does have the option of making a Small Claims Court claim as it can be used in licensee situations.

My guess is, after 30 years, this ain’t the first time something fell out of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Dav010 wrote: »
    RTB will not be involved here, seems the op lives in an owner occupied house, albeit the owner is away, if it is still his primary residence and he has his own bedroom, the op is more than likely a licensee.

True, but I'd imagine a judge in the court would take a similar view regarding the depreciated value of the carpeting, if it came to that. The tenant/licensee might be found responsible for *something*, if the carpet was in unusually pristine condition for it's extremely advanced age, but it's very unlikely to be the full replacement cost of brand new carpeting.

Advertisement