Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Awful day in the west...raining all day and that dark grey cloud. 3rd saturday in a row to be a washout. Tomorrow and Monday are meant to be better. Tough to be stuck inside with nothing on. Glad I got out for a run in the morning before it got really heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock reporting light Sleet at 1930 . Temperature 3.Dew point 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Went for a drive around the south Mayo mountains this afternoon - fresh snow lying above about 500 metres. Definitely a chilly day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

ECMWF charts into the end of March and the start of April appear to suggest that we could get some snow and ice as the wind direction turns northerly and then easterly from Siberia.

A cold snap may well be in store in the coming days but confidence in this weather scenario coming to pass is low beyond this Friday, where we could see some wintry precipitation for this Thursday and Friday in the North.

With no pc, I can't post links with my ipad but as ever fellow contributors on this great thread and forum can post links here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Beautiful day out. Badly wanted. Give everyone a chance to get out and let off some steam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Agreed a lovely early spring morning bright and not cold. Hopefully the forecast of snow and ice is off the mark it’s bright sunny benign weather we need now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Beautiful day out. Badly wanted. Give everyone a chance to get out and let off some steam.

Yeah it does, but then the problem arises of selfish people who think nothing about queuing all together, with no regard for social distancing, to get their tea and coffee from a stall in a well known scenic spot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful morning here in Meath, thankfully I live in a fairly rural area which isn't a tourist spot so i'd only see 3 or 4 people walking over the course of an hour. Will be heading outside for a walk soon to get some head space from everything that is going on at the moment. I also highly recommend keeping music on for most of the day, rather than something like Sky News or other news services which should only be watched for no more than 30 minutes per day at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    beautiful morning here in Meath, thankfully I live in a fairly rural area which isn't a tourist spot so i'd only see 3 or 4 people walking over the course of an hour. Will be heading outside for a walk soon to get some head space from everything that is going on at the moment. I also highly recommend keeping music on for most of the day, rather than something like Sky News or other news services which should only be watched for no more than 30 minutes per day at the moment.

Gorgeous day in Dublin too. Heading out for a long walk soon. And yes, music is so important to soothe the soul and ease the mind especially in times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »

Yeah i'm lucky in that way too. I have started using my Ipod a lot more of late, as you say it's a good distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Must be the best day of the year out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absoloutly lovely in west cork by the coast. First time seeing a blue sky in a while. Ocean is sparkling and there's some heat too in between the cold wind but lovely! How's it in the city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Agreed a lovely early spring morning bright and not cold. Hopefully the forecast of snow and ice is off the mark it’s bright sunny benign weather we need now more than ever.

Actually in present circumstances the worse weather we get the better. We are being told to stay away from other people so benign sunny weather is the last thing we need if it encourages people to be out and about near others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Actually in present circumstances the worse weather we get the better. We are being told to stay away from other people so benign sunny weather is the last thing we need if it encourages people to be out and about near others.

I'm thinking mildish but with lots of showers and wind, and no sun, would probably be the best all round to keep people home. Too cold and the whole country will have the heat on at home which probably isn't good, and too much rain isn't good for the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

A stunning day out there in North County Dublin. Nicest one yet this year. Very little breeze. We had a lovely few hours out at the beach.

Very busy in Malahide/Portmanock but as we are locals we knew the quiet spots to keep away from everyone!

There is a bright pass from the ISS at 8.23pm this evening lasting about 4 minutes . Will approach from the SW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day in Kerry also. Cool breeze earlier in the day eased off early afternoon. Got up to a decent 13.3C here near Tralee.

River Smerlagh in the Stack Mountains today.

X8LuGnN.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

There is a bright pass from the ISS at 8.23pm this evening lasting about 4 minutes . Will approach from the SW.

Got a great view of it just now, very clear evening for observing.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Despite the odd bit of high cloud, it was a nice pass and was great to see. Fairly cool out there though. Thanks for notice.

Caught it just in time. Great pass. Two satellites were criss crossing as it went to the SE.

Can anyone explain why satellites flash for a second and then disappear?

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Caught it just in time. Great pass. Two satellites were criss crossing as it went to the SE.

Can anyone explain why satellites flash for a second and then disappear?

I think its just the way the sun hits off the solar panels and reflects back down to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Great day in Dublin today. Had a lovely day out in phoenix Park with a few friends. Best day of the year

I think its just the way the sun hits off the solar panels and reflects back down to us.

Ah yeah that would explain it! You’d need sunscreen with Venus tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was just looking at the south sky wondering what the very bright twinkly star is fairly low down. First thought is Venus but its not in the right place for Venus. Orion is there slightly to the south west and the star is just to the left of Orion - if you followed his belt left it almost points at it. Kind of a bit where, looking at a sky map, Canis Major is. Is that likely? It almost seems to be flashing different colours. (no its not aviation!)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

looksee wrote: »
    I was just looking at the south sky wondering what the very bright twinkly star is fairly low down. First thought is Venus but its not in the right place for Venus. Orion is there slightly to the south west and the star is just to the left of Orion - if you followed his belt left it almost points at it. Kind of a bit where, looking at a sky map, Canis Major is. Is that likely? It almost seems to be flashing different colours. (no its not aviation!)

It sounds like Sirius or the Dog Star as it is sometimes known as it is part of the Canis Major constellation. Apart from the sun obviously, it is the brightest star that we can see and is known for it's twinkling effect, often appearing to sparkle blue or red. I think it has something to do with its position being fairly low in the sky and its light having to pass through more of the earth's atmosphere that gives it this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

To add to the recommendations above of star/planet apps, I use SkyMap, really useful to figure out what is visible in the night sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The heavens above also a great app, still haven't seen musk's starlink satellites , they pass almost every evening.

Great day today, warmish in the sunshine, probably the best 2 days we've had since last august .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Great day in Dublin today. Had a lovely day out in phoenix Park with a few friends. Best day of the year

Hope you kept 2 metres apart from each other.

Spend most of the day criticising people being out when they were told not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭kingshankly

DellyBelly wrote: »

Part of the problem in Ireland unfortunately 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Advertisement