Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Damp and cloudy in Cork City. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm
    Newport Mayo sunny 16 degrees
    Cork airport,a wet 9 degrees

Rather cloudy and wet in the south. Forecast a bit off with a few light showers been forecasted as late as this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rather cloudy and wet in the south. Forecast a bit off with a few light showers been forecasted as late as this morning.

Yeah, where on earth did this come from? I was expecting a day like yesterday if not warmer, yet it's an overcast 15°c in West Clare with what's looking like possible rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Awful afternoon here hammering down rain and cold.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yeah, where on earth did this come from? I was expecting a day like yesterday if not warmer, yet it's an overcast 15°c in West Clare with what's looking like possible rain.

Down to 14°c now and raining. Great.

Still perplexed as to how yesterday the forecast gave high teens and sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another lovely sunny day in North Co. Dublin. However a strong breeze like yesterday keeping it cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Another lovely sunny day in North Co. Dublin. However a strong breeze like yesterday keeping it cool.

yep lovely day here too but there isn't any warmth or heat from that sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Powerful day here in West Mayo. 18c, breeze has died down and the sun is making it feel lovely and warm.

Reminds me of a few beautiful days in late April 2015 where we had very similar conditions.

Shaping up to the be driest month in at least 3 years at Newport

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Down to 14°c now and raining. Great.

Still perplexed as to how yesterday the forecast gave high teens and sunshine.

Same, thought "oh maybe they just meant the afternoon" but nope where we are still damp and cloudy and 10 degrees

Same, thought "oh maybe they just meant the afternoon" but nope where we are still damp and cloudy and 10 degrees

Very annoying - short range forecasting models really flopped this one. Look at MT's forecast published only 9 hours ago
    MT Cranium wrote:
    Each day now to at least Saturday and possibly further into the future will be very similar, mostly sunny and warm, with some cloudy intervals at times in coastal west Munster. Later today there is a slight chance of a brief shower around the southwest Cork and south Kerry coasts. No trace of that will be experienced in most other parts of the country, and for several days there won't be very much chance of any organized cloud or rainfall anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stunning day in Kildare..... once your out of the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep lovely day here too but there isn't any warmth or heat from that sun.

Well, technically there's plenty of heat in the sun - it's just the bloody sea breeze that's taking the edge off the temps.

Ironically, as is often the case in the East in set-ups like these, our 'warmer' weather will occur once the good weather breaks down and winds back away from the East.

Still, we shouldn't complain. Dry and sunny weather is always welcome! And 14/15 degrees for mid April is still OK!

Just praying the summer isn't a wash out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

compsys wrote: »
    Well, technically there's plenty of heat in the sun - it's just the bloody sea breeze that's taking the edge off the temps.

Ironically, as is often the case in the East in set-ups like these, our 'warmer' weather will occur once the good weather breaks down and winds back away from the East.

Still, we shouldn't complain. Dry and sunny weather is always welcome! And 14/15 degrees for mid April is still OK!

Just praying the summer isn't a wash out.

yep once we get rid of the easterly wind, temperatures should improve but also likely to become more unsettled unfortunately. We rarely get that sweetspot of a slack south westerly wind with bags of sunshine and very warm uppers. The UK usually gets this for a day or so before most high pressures break down completely, we are usually too far west to take advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had promising rain clouds and there was more water in my window washer than fell.

the change to unsettled conditions is being pushed back from this Friday to early next week, so we should get a nice dry weekend now. Even next week is not looking as unsettled as what was showing this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A bit of cloud cover moved into this part of the west this evening after another bright and sunny spring day. The breeze eased and there was actually a lovely softness to the evening. The colours after sunset seemed to fade only very gradually and it was one of those evenings when it was almost impossible to drag oneself in from the garden. We have been fortunate to have had a great spell of weather here in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another beautiful warm cloudless day in Donegal, ever since the washout on St Patricks Day its been a spectacularly good spell of weather up here, the odd cloudy day here and there and a bit of drizzle/showers but almost every single day has had hours of sunshine.

Only one day since lockdown started where I couldn't get out for a walk in the evening because of rain, can't ask for much more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any chance there's some sort of correlation between this virus, it's effects and the great weather we've had since the lockdown?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Another cloudy day in cork city but there's more light coming through the clouds. About 12 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Any chance there's some sort of correlation between this virus, it's effects and the great weather we've had since the lockdown?

Less air pollution would be the most obvious answer. When my grandfather was alive (he died in 1978) was alive he used to say the weather was better when he was young. He said that it was normal to do farmwork in your shirtsleeves in April and there wasn't as much rain. He said that they nearly always got good weather to save the hay (this was before farm mechanisation) and that it would not be possible to save it without modern machinery with the weather in Ireland in the 1970s apart from one or two very good years.

I am not a farmer but I thought about what he said during the 6 months of nearly constant rain from late August to March and also through the very wet summers of 2007 to 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Emme wrote: »
    Less air pollution would be the most obvious answer. When my grandfather was alive (he died in 1978) was alive he used to say the weather was better when he was young. He said that it was normal to do farmwork in your shirtsleeves in April and there wasn't as much rain. He said that they nearly always got good weather to save the hay (this was before farm mechanisation) and that it would not be possible to save it without modern machinery with the weather in Ireland in the 1970s apart from one or two very good years.

I am not a farmer but I thought about what he said during the 6 months of nearly constant rain from late August to March and also through the very wet summers of 2007 to 2012.

Ahhhh gotta love rosy retrospection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Emme wrote: »

There is absolutely NO correlation between the two. Every qualified meteorologist has said this.

The only difference is air pollution. The air is now cleaner so the sky might look a little more clear and blue. But that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Renowned Meteorologist Professor 'Murph' Law is quoted as saying they are related alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s turned into a lovely afternoon here warming and sunny albeit a little hazy.

hazy sunshine now in cork city and warming up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    A bit of cloud cover moved into this part of the west this evening after another bright and sunny spring day. The breeze eased and there was actually a lovely softness to the evening. The colours after sunset seemed to fade only very gradually and it was one of those evenings when it was almost impossible to drag oneself in from the garden. We have been fortunate to have had a great spell of weather here in recent weeks.

Stunning photos Goldfinch8, and the this one in particular really shows how Mayo comes into its own:

510495.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

must be the driest april on record ?, 2007 was much warmer but the dry spell didnt last as long from what i remember ?

last two weeks of march were good as well this year or at least last ten days

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    must be the driest april on record ?, 2007 was much warmer but the dry spell didnt last as long from what i remember ?

last two weeks of march were good as well this year or at least last ten days

this could also be the sunniest month we've had since the 2018 dry spells, and it was certainly needed after 7 months of deluges. Temperatures have been disappointing tho away from the west coast with the cool easterly breeze minimizing the heat from the sun and some fairly chilly nights. Hopefully we will get a week or two of high teens at some point during May.

Overall this has probably been the best month for weather in at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    this could also be the sunniest month we've had since the 2018 dry spells, and it was certainly needed after 7 months of deluges. Temperatures have been disappointing tho away from the west coast with the cool easterly breeze minimizing the heat from the sun and some fairly chilly nights. Hopefully we will get a week or two of high teens at some point during May.

Overall this has probably been the best month for weather in at least a year.

I think overall, maxima has been slightly better here in the west, at least on the thermo, but just as in the east, that breeze, added with low humidity, has made it feel positively uncomfortable at times away from shelter. Overall though I would take another 2 or 3 weeks of this weather as the drying has been great. Something we badly needed after all of the rain in pervious months.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think overall, maxima has been slightly better here in the west, at least on the thermo, but just as in the east, that breeze, added with low humidity, has made it feel positively uncomfortable at times away from shelter. Overall though I would take another 2 or 3 weeks of this weather as the drying has been great. Something we badly needed after all of the rain in pervious months.

Beautiful day but still chilly.......especially from 5pm.
    Here in Louth the ground is like a rock, it must be 7 weeks since we had rain. Absolutely none last weekend despite predictions from Met Eireann. I am already watering plants and seedlings every single day for the last week. At this rate there will be a water shortage and Irish Water need to start watching levels. Everyone is out power hosing driveways, patios and cars. If this dry weather keeps up we will have a drought.

Advertisement