Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We had 6 months of what felt like rain and wind up until March, after a non existent summer. It was the worst spell of weather I've ever experienced, the trauma of it will be passed down for generations. Get outside and enjoy this sunny bliss.

This Spring has already been far better than the 3 months of summer combined last year. Ireland really got the rough end of the stick with Summer 2019 compared to the rest of Europe and UK. (I think many parts of north-west Europe had a very poor June in general last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gonzo wrote: »
    This Spring has already been far better than the 3 months of summer combined last year. Ireland really got the rough end of the stick with Summer 2019 compared to the rest of Europe and UK. (I think many parts of north-west Europe had a very poor June in general last year).

Yep I remember days in mid June with highs of 11c in Dublin, wearing a hat and gloves to work on my bike. It was rock bottom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep I remember days in mid June with highs of 11c in Dublin, wearing a hat and gloves to work on my bike. It was rock bottom.

I remember that too, I thought the first two weeks of June last year felt colder and were far worse than the cold spell we had last week. Last weeks cold spell was actually fairly pleasant because it was mostly dry and sunny but June 2019 had plenty of wet days and wind, grey skies, sometimes sheets of rain and temperatures struggling to reach 10C.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember that too, I thought the first two weeks of June last year felt colder and were far worse than the cold spell we had last week. Last weeks cold spell was actually fairly pleasant because it was mostly dry and sunny but June 2019 had plenty of wet days and wind, grey skies, sometimes sheets of rain and temperatures struggling to reach 10C.

And then heatwaves all over Europe and us just missing out on it. It was a nightmare. At least it's not like that now when the option to escape isn't even available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

I wouldn't say it was a total write off. July was very nice. Above average temps everywhere and below average rainfall almost everywhere according to MET E - though East did better than West. I remember the first few weeks of August being nice too - in Dublin at least.

June was a disaster alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

compsys wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was a total write off. July was very nice. Above average temps everywhere and below average rainfall almost everywhere according to MET E - though East did better than West. I remember the first few weeks of August being nice too - in Dublin at least.

June was a disaster alright.

I remember sitting my LC last June in a hall and the rain showers pelting off the roof, really heavy downpours. That year didn't have any LC weather :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I remember sitting my LC last June in a hall and the rain showers pelting off the roof, really heavy downpours. That year didn't have any LC weather :p

We really should be thankful but keep complaining nevertheless ;)

In fairness, I think more highly of the summer overall as time goes on despite my constant negative posting of it on here although can't forgive June. Also how often the met forecasted sun but it was cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Last Summer was ok, bar May.

Middle of August on till November was atrocious.

Danzy wrote: »
    Last Summer was ok, bar May.

Middle of August on till November was atrocious.

June was easily the worst, it was brutal until the final few days of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I found last summer to be exceptionally humid and warm in an unpleasant way. First half was incredibly dry with actual drought conditions at times but around mid-July, the rains arrived. I enjoy summer rains though so that didn't bother me in the least, but the humidity was crucifying at times.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah so did I. I thought I was getting old or something, but the humidity last summer was absolutely brutal.

This spring has been very nice, since coming back home (early) from Aus back in March there really has only been a handful of bad days. Its made lockdown bearable for so many people.... even if it falls apart now and we have a crap summer at least we can say it was nice when it needed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thought you were older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We really should be thankful but keep complaining nevertheless ;)

In fairness, I think more highly of the summer overall as time goes on despite my constant negative posting of it on here although can't forgive June. Also how often the met forecasted sun but it was cloudy.

Yes. Soooo many days turned out cloudy having been forecasted as sunny. I always say it’s the thing ME struggles with the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wouldn't recommend any sailing along our western shore Friday.

Take care comrades

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A lot of cloud about here near Tralee this evening as the weak cold front passes over but only felt a couple of drops earlier, broken cloud as the evening went on letting in some late evening sunshine, cooler now at 11.7C after ahigh of 21.2C

PsqpUz9.gif

Kerry 21.30

QWCNwOr.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

One of the best Springs I have ever witnessed. So dry and sunny. Great for the outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Do we think Fridays storm will be named? Also an orange upgrade perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Pangea wrote: »
    Do we think Fridays storm will be named? Also an orange upgrade perhaps?

I've posted a link I seen earlier from a page I don't particularly trust for answers myself on this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

jimmynokia wrote: »

Clickbait. When every post starts started with a series of ⚠ you know the intention is purely gaining Likes and Shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nicest morning in a while in Donegal, calm and sunny. Hasn't been a great week here with mostly cloud and some light rain and drizzle but already a growth spurt visible in plants so the rain was clearly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Very pleasant morning in Limk City. Was hoping for a small amount of rain last night to help replenish my water butt, but not a drop. The front that passed through was a very weak affair, although I see it intensified a bit as it pushed East.

nice sunny morning in Meath, however temperatures are well down on yesterday, 5C colder than this time yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

nice sunny morning in Meath, however temperatures are well down on yesterday, 5C colder than this time yesterday.

Clouding over in Arklow
    3c warmer than yesterday

Clickbait. When every post starts started with a series of ⚠ you know the intention is purely gaining Likes and Shares.

Thought so called him out before and siad his weather is rubbish and check IWO and got laughed at yet this lad does be on the radio....:rolleyes: His latest post is equally FOS....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a sunny morning in Cork City but clouded over around 10ish or so, warm enough out though with a bit of a breeze around.

18C now and still fairly sunny but it's getting more hazy, I reckon that could be the high for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another lovely sunny day in Dublin. Not as warm as yesterday, 17 degrees but still very pleasant with the sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Phoenix park in Dublin was the warmest spot in Ireland yesterday with a max temp of 23.6 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sunshine turning ever more hazy here but been a smashing day overall.

Gusts in Dublin area tomorriw expected to exceed 45knots , certainly will be some flying debris!

Advertisement