Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭giveitholly

21.8 in south tipp at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The records keep on coming... 4th driest May on record at Phoenix Park and driest May since 1991. Casement with 265.8 hrs to 29th has had its sunniest of any month on record and with another 2 sunny days, I think this will safely mean May 2020 will be the sunniest month in Dublin since June 1957 or even July 1955. Wonder how the overall spring will rank sunshine wise.

This spring will be a tough one to beat in future.

EDIT: This blog post by Maynooth's ICARUS is worth a read. April/May 2020 are the driest of any two-month period on record for Phoenix Park! The drought is already more extreme than Summer 2018 too.

http://icarus-maynooth.blogspot.com/2020/05/2020-driest-spring-in-dublin-since.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belmullet up to 23 degrees at midday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The records keep on coming... 4th driest May on record at Phoenix Park and driest May since 1991. Casement with 265.8 hrs to 29th has had its sunniest of any month on record and with another 2 sunny days, I think this will safely mean May 2020 will be the sunniest month in Dublin since June 1957 or even July 1955. Wonder how the overall spring will rank sunshine wise.

This spring will be a tough one to beat in future.

How is Cork faring in terms of spring sunshine and dry weather records?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Glorious in Donegal, feels like the warmest day yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Gone rather cloudy in D9, all high stuff but very little sunlight is getting through, just about holding onto hazy conditions.

Hopefully it get's a move on, 21 degrees here atm which suggests we have a chance today of getting a nicer 22-23 degrees here which would be the warmest in several days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

John.Icy wrote: »
    Gone rather cloudy in D9, all high stuff but very little sunlight is getting through, just about holding onto hazy conditions.

Hopefully it get's a move on, 21 degrees here atm which suggests we have a chance today of getting a nicer 22-23 degrees here which would be the warmest in several days.

Yeah hopefully that high cloud shifts. It’s also quite breezy at the coast and quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It feels warmer here in Dublin than yesterday
    Gonzo wrote: »
    11am, Mt Dillon 23C, Casement on 22C.

21C here in Meath, a degree up on this time yesterday. Very little breeze too, if that continues today is going to be a hot one for many.

I think cork airport has had about 210mm of rain so it looks like cork has been one of the wetter locations. That’s going by the met eireann readings. That’s 4 times as much rain as Dublin in the same time period.
    How is Cork faring in terms of spring sunshine and dry weather records?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I think cork airport has had about 210mm of rain so it looks like cork has been one of the wetter locations. That’s going by the met eireann readings. That’s 4 times as much rain as Dublin in the same time period.

I can only recall any significant heavy rainfall in Cork this spring on 5th April and 21st and 22nd May. Hard to square that with those figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

breeze has really kicked in over the past hour or so making it feel cooler than it is. Temperature currently 23C, with a strong breeze i'm not sure temperature will get much higher.

Not sure but according to met eireann official readings 65mm in March, 72mm in April and 68mm in May. Sorry that’s 205mm, not 210mm.
    I can only recall any significant heavy rainfall in Cork this spring on 5th April and 21st and 22nd May. Hard to square that with those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

25c in South Laois - not as breezy today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    breeze has really kicked in over the past hour or so making it feel cooler than it is. Temperature currently 23C, with a strong breeze i'm not sure temperature will get much higher.

A little bit further inland (SW) of Kilcock and only a very slight breeze has come up. Basically, more or less calm but the odd little breeze for a few seconds and that little breeze is very very warm, similar to the breeze you'd feel down in the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Around those dates yeah, there was a lot of days of constant heavy drizzle etc though while the rest of the country was in sunshine which raised our totals down here aswell.

A beautiful Co.Mayo this afternoon with the temperature heading for 26 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

23.5°c in Kildare. Feels warmer than yesterday due to the wind being not as strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Glorious. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

esposito wrote: »
    Yeah hopefully that high cloud shifts. It’s also quite breezy at the coast and quite cool.

It's fully passed to my North now, lovely sunshine here in D9. Breeze almost absent now too. Back to 21 degrees now after dropping to a little below 20 during the worst of the haze. Might sneak a 22/23 later.

3pm
    Mount Dillon 26 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Finally a beautiful sunny day on a weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

John.Icy wrote: »
    It's fully passed to my North now, lovely sunshine here in D9. Breeze almost absent now too. Back to 21 degrees now after dropping to a little below 20 during the worst of the haze. Might sneak a 22/23 later.

Yeah much warmer now that the sun has burned through the high cloud. Glad I applied the factor 50 on my face!

Breeze seems to be dying down in Dublin, much warmer over the past hour. Clear skies again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

24.5C here near Tralee, fantastic day, just a few light clouds about, SE breeze lighter now which is very welcome indeed, feels roasting out there, Rh down to 52%.

JLTf1Kg.png?2

temp_uk_jzj0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hot day in West Clare, light breeze, 24.8°c currently down from 25.1°c earlier.

Strongest sunshine of all days so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very nice day here in Meath, temperature of 22C which is where we were at this morning, temperatures held back by several degrees due to that onshore wind, but it is a most pleasant day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Violently warm in Galway.

giphy.gif

New Moon

4pm

Mount Dillon 26 degrees
    Newport 25
    Claremorris 25
    Mullingar 25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

26.9c in Sligo town.