Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭giveitholly

High of 24.9 here in south tipp and currently 22.2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

2 more days of warmth to go. Tomorrow looks to be a repeat of today, Temperatures 21 to 27C generally but cooler along eastern and southern coastal counties temperatures of 17 to 21C.

arpegeuk-41-27-0.png?31-17

Tuesday will see cooler air filtering into the north and west as the day goes on. It will also be a warmer day in some eastern and southern areas with no stubborn breeze to lower the temperatures. Could be the warmest day of the year for Dublin and Cork. Temperatures generally 23 to 26C. Cooling across the north and west with temperatures between 12 and 18C by the late afternoon after a warm morning. Cooler conditions spreading to most parts by late evening.

arpegeuk-41-52-0.png?31-18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tuesday actually looks like hottest day for Dublin for the weekend.

Another beach day for us as I have the day booked off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Tuesday actually looks like hottest day for Dublin for the weekend.

Another beach day for us as I have the day booked off!

yep many parts of Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow and Cork which have had mostly low 20's so far, could see 24 or 25C on Tuesday, even 26C is possible. The beach should be warmer too maybe 21 or 22C. Definitely make the most of the next 2 days of warmth, could be a few weeks before we see decent temperatures again depending on how the northerlies behalf and if we can get the azores ridge back in place with some warm southerlies.

I adore the warm weather. I spend all day outside in this weather. As you said Gonzo everyone needs to enjoy the good weather.

Remember people this is Ireland this could be the best weather of the summer! For those of you who dont like nice weather the forecast is for temperatures to drop dramatically on wed + a high of 8 yes 8 degrees is currently forecast for Saturday.

• Advertisement

As today is 31st May, I just want to say that we are so lucky that despite the very difficult time we are living in with Covid 19 we are so lucky that we have had the best spring in living memory. I cant even believe it's still spring.

It practically hasn't rained in 3 mths + sunshine has been amazing even when it was colder earlier on in spring. Thankfully now we can go a bit further but it was a hard few weeks for people when limited to 2km but I think the good weather helped a lot of people get out + about to get some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Hi guys just wondering what is irelands highest temperature recording at night time. So i suppose what is irelands highest minimum temp and where was it recorded. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bazlers wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering what is irelands highest temperature recording at night time. So i suppose what is irelands highest minimum temp and where was it recorded. Thanks.

I think it was around 19°c at Shannon a good few years back - 1980s perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep many parts of Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow and Cork which have had mostly low 20's so far, could see 24 or 25C on Tuesday, even 26C is possible. The beach should be warmer too maybe 21 or 22C. Definitely make the most of the next 2 days of warmth, could be a few weeks before we see decent temperatures again depending on how the northerlies behalf and if we can get the azores ridge back in place with some warm southerlies.

Ahhh looking forward to it!! Lovely evening in cork city. Chilly but sitting out the back with some drinks and music and a clear sky and it's just lovely. No breeze

As today is 31st May, I just want to say that we are so lucky that despite the very difficult time we are living in with Covid 19 we are so lucky that we have had the best spring in living memory. I cant even believe it's still spring.

It practically hasn't rained in 3 mths + sunshine has been amazing even when it was colder earlier on in spring. Thankfully now we can go a bit further but it was a hard few weeks for people when limited to 2km but I think the good weather helped a lot of people get out + about to get some exercise.

It's been an amazing Spring. Normally Spring and Autumn are my least favourite seasons as I prefer the chances of warm or hot weather in the summer or cold and snowy in the winter. This Spring has been fantastic for so many reasons, particularly off the back of the very wet and miserable Autumn/Winter just gone. The fantastic weather has made the lockdown far more bearable. This Spring also finally broke the trend of unseasonable or crap seasons over the past year. I really disliked 2019 from start to finish, every season was a disappointment with no real cold or properly warm weather.

I've never walked as much as the past 3 months with so much sunshine and most of it unbroken sunshine too. The garden has been getting loads of attention too after being abandoned for the most part of the past year.

This Spring has actually felt better than many of our summers and we've already had warmer days than we ever got last summer. I can't even remember a Spring this sunny or this dry in my lifetime. Temperatures here in the east were fairly average to slightly milder than average most of the time due to the easterly breezes but we have managed to get some warm days, particularly over the past week. I reckon this could have been a once in a lifetime Spring as this one is going to be incredibly tough to beat.

Summer starts tomorrow and the first 2 days of summer will certainly be seasonal. Hopefully the imcoming cold snap won't stick around for the whole of June. I have a feeling the 2nd half of June will be better and with some luck we could get a half decent July and August!

• Advertisement

You must be young - 1995 was quite like this! Great late March/April. May average, but decent sunshine. June, July and August were like this week gone pretty much all the way - except for three days at the start of July! The first week of June brought a northerly too! The last week of August was a shocker with highs of around 19c - despite clear blue sky it felt bitter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I am old enough to remember the Summer of 1995, and I hated every single minute of it, to the point where I became physically sick at the very sight of the sun - it was eternal and it marred my view of summer ever since. I do remember that there was one day in the following September when the heavens just opened and didn't stop for hours. Was a sight to behold.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

18 degrees at Newport Co.Mayo at 11pm. Its absolutely lovely to stand out at this time of night and it nice and warm with some blue still in the sky up to the north west.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I am old enough to remember the Summer of 1995, and I hated every single minute of it, to the point where I became physically sick at the very sight of the sun - it was eternal and it marred my view of summer ever since. I do remember that there was one day in the following September when the heavens just opened and didn't stop for hours. Was a sight to behold.

My mum told me.about it, she was pregnant at the time with my sister. They rented a caravan right by the coast for the little sea breeze there was and rented 3 different fans. She was still roasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bright and breezy evening here

Danno wrote: »
    You must be young - 1995 was quite like this! Great late March/April. May average, but decent sunshine. June, July and August were like this week gone pretty much all the way - except for three days at the start of July! The first week of June brought a northerly too! The last week of August was a shocker with highs of around 19c - despite clear blue sky it felt bitter! :D

Ha ha thanks you have made my day. Yes I'm so young! I honestly dont remember 95. I know everyone goes on about it but I was young moody teenager so I must have spent most of time hiding away indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The summer of 1995, August in Kilkenny

https://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/1995-the-warmest-month

The average daily high for Kilkenny was 25.4C for the month of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What??? This post deserves to be reported to the highest level possible! Such sacrilege!!! :pac:

1995 was THE year of weather. End of discussion. :D

If Bryan Adams was a few years younger he'd have written and sang "The Summer of '95"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes tomorrow the last day over 25c in Sligo for quite a while. After Tuesday it's back to some rain every day until next warm spell. Showing 5 days with rain in them next week. Bah!

• Advertisement

What??? This post deserves to be reported to the highest level possible! Such sacrilege!!! :pac:

1995 was THE year of weather. End of discussion. :D

If Bryan Adams was a few years younger he'd have written and sang "The Summer of '95"

I think it's only fair that us born from 2000 onwards experience it! Let's go! :D

I think it's only fair that us born from 2000 onwards experience it! Let's go! :D

Us folk banging on about '95 was similar to our elders banging on about '75 and '76 back in the day. Those hoors got two lifetime summers out of it back to back. :P

Having said that, you pups have had 2003, 2006, 2013, 2016 and 2018 as appetisers.

Having said that, you pups have had 2003, 2006, 2013, 2016 and 2018 as appetisers.

From what I have heard, they were nothing! Then again, my mum was pregnant at the time so it could be a bit biased :p

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Us folk banging on about '95 was similar to our elders banging on about '75 and '76 back in the day. Those hoors got two lifetime summers out of it back to back. :P

Nothing, but nothing, will ever beat the summer of 76. It just went on and on and on.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

1995 was absolutely epic. Sustained sun and heat

May 2020 finished 0.9c above average over the country as a whole.

Some stats (provisional)
    Warmest mean: 13.0c (Shannon)
    Coolest mean: 10.9c (Dublin Apt)
    Highest mean maxima: 18.4c (Mt. Dillon)
    Lowest mean minima: 4.9c (Mt. Dillon)
    Highest daily max: 28.6c (Mt. Dillon
    Lowest daily max: 8.5c (Malin Hd)
    Highest daily min: 15.4 (Valentia)
    Lowest daily min -3.2c (Mt. Dillon / Mullingar)

Data from these lads here:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

May 2020 finished 0.9c above average over the country as a whole.

Some stats (provisional)
    Warmest mean: 13.0c (Shannon)
    Coolest mean: 10.9c (Dublin Apt)
    Highest mean maxima: 18.4c (Mt. Dillon)
    Lowest mean minima: 4.9c (Mt. Dillon)
    Highest daily max: 28.6c (Mt. Dillon
    Lowest daily max: 8.5c (Malin Hd)
    Highest daily min: 15.4 (Valentia)
    Lowest daily min -3.2c (Mt. Dillon / Mullingar)

Data from these lads here:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

So that means the May max temperature record has been broken? Or maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    So that means the May max temperature record has been broken? Or maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

To be honest, I haven't a clue. Syran is the man for that, although I think he did mention a few records being broken this month, though can't remember if max temp was one of them.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While not on par with the Summer of 1995, was there a decent period of fine weather in the Summer of 1989? I might be out with the year, but i do remember a summer around that time that had a few weeks of fine weather.

Advertisement