Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dummies question re buying new laptop

Options
  • 01-03-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

I have worked from home on desktop up til now. Looking at buying a laptop but do I have to buy a new licence every year for Microsoft Office? With new desktop, it was a once-off buy.

Curries offer is 'MICROSOFT Office 365 Home - 1 year for 6 users ' - other laptop users in the house already have it installed via 3rd level colleges, so I just need it for 1 new laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Talisman

Office 365 is a subscription model where you pay a monthly/annual subscription fee and always have access to the latest version of the product. The benefit of 365 is that it includes the mobile versions of the apps and 1TB/5TB of OneDrive cloud storage.

You can still purchase versions of MS Office for a one-off fee, they just don't advertise it.

Office Home and Student Edition is ~€150. It's a minimal version of the suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) that can be installed on a single computer.

Office Home and Business Edition is ~€300. It's the suite without Outlook and can be installed on a single computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭pah

I've bought codes from the likes of gamivo and kinguin for Windows 10 and for Office 2019 for a fraction of Microsoft's price, give them a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks very much - bought my laptop and a once-off single user Office.

Advertisement