Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of roads in Cork City

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

leahyl wrote: »
    Does this include the very dangerous loose paving across the way from the Flying Enterprise by the River when you come over Nano Nagle bridge? Where on Grand Parade are they talking about? Didn't think it was too bad there?

Doesn’t include that, I couldn’t tell you the last time I was near the flying enterprise on foot. The worst of the grand parade is from the fountain to the traffic lights outside the Capitol.

Grand Parade is dreadful. Esp the roadway directly outside the English Market. Potholes and poor, random patching everywhere.

It was actually in better condition pre 2007 refurbishment, as hard to believe as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Doesn’t include that, I couldn’t tell you the last time I was near the flying enterprise on foot. The worst of the grand parade is from the fountain to the traffic lights outside the Capitol.

Ok, well a lot of foot traffic between UCC and town in that direction by Flying Enterprise - the foot path (what's left of it, half of it taken over by bike lane) is a is a disgrace and downright dangerous tbh.

Basically, I think we'd be here all day naming out the places that need road resurfacing or footpaths to be replaced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

That right lane on MacCurtain is only temporary I presume??? Bumpy AF!!!

btw. Here is a thread I started two years ago:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057877716&page=26

... yes roads are destroyed and it will not be solved anytime soon. Probably never. Place is a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Have you ever actually watched the council repair a road? Some lad throws a shovel of tarmac into a hole, taps with the shovels and he's done.

Our roads will always be bad due to our climate, water gets in everywhere but the process in carrying out repairs doesn't help.

rob316 wrote: »
    Some lad throws a shovel of tarmac into a hole, taps with the shovels and he's done.

While another 3 or 4 stand there looking on.

While another 3 or 4 stand there looking on.

Yes 3 supervisors needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Clearly the council are never going to get on top of road maintenance, hopefully they start thinking outside the box and coming up with ways of preventing damage, reducing the number of vehicles on the road, that sort of thing. They're not known for innovation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Have you ever actually watched the council repair a road? Some lad throws a shovel of tarmac into a hole, taps with the shovels and he's done.

Our roads will always be bad due to our climate, water gets in everywhere but the process in carrying out repairs doesn't help.

I thought this before as well but it's not true. The actual construction of roads here isn't done right from the first day. I've driven in a number of different countries, many with harsh winter climates and heavy traffic and the roads are better quality. Sure there are repairs but they're better than what we do. They just seem to be designed to cope with it.

• Advertisement

It's not the climate, as said above in other countries the winters are harsher, the roads are bad after every winter pretty much anywhere, but then they are all fixed to a quite good standard. Basically fixed correctly that's all.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Clearly the council are never going to get on top of road maintenance, hopefully they start thinking outside the box and coming up with ways of preventing damage, reducing the number of vehicles on the road, that sort of thing. They're not known for innovation though.

No they won't. They are not capable of such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

What most people do not understand is our roads were never designed with the amount or weight of the traffic that is now on them.
    roads that were originally built for horse and cart are now being used by HGV's.

The foundations of most of the roads are simply insufficient, for some nonexistent, for the loads put on them. That's why you constantly get potholes, cracks, and the top surface breaking up and disintegrating so rapidly.

Simply relaying the top 4 or 5 inches of a road only repairs the road for a short duration, it does not fix the problem.
    How many times have we seen the N20 resurfaced, yet every 7 year or so they are at it again.

To really fix them they would have to dig down 4 or 5 feet put in a hardcore and gravel foundation that is properly compacted before even attempting to relay a road surface. Most of the roads in Cork city are hundreds of years old and no decent foundation was ever laid.

Of course to do the job properly would cost millions more, and that's not possible with the yearly budgets the county councils have. So instead they will spend more constantly repairing a road over a decade or two with the road never having been fixed properly, rather than bite the bullet and concentrate on getting fewer roads fixed but fixed correctly. If they did that in my opinion it would be far better. We might have to put up with more sh!te roads in the short term but in the long term at least we know the same roads will not be in a constant state of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

They are finally resurfacing the grand parade after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The absolute cut of the road outside the old Capitol. Just where the traffic lights are.

I don't drive through town often but drove that street a few days ago and thought I was in Bangladesh or something. The car was rattling and my arse was in bits. Absolutely ****ing awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ofcork wrote: »
    Hopefully they repair the paving at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hopefully they repair the paving at the same time.

Paving for pedestrians??
    Pfft!
    They don't pay "road tax".

They resurfaced up by the cathedral and gillabbey st, which was badly needed. I drive that to work every morning and due to how tight it is your forced into a pothole on the bend.

That's whats being done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

ofcork wrote: »

Thats great news - it was SOOO bad ... not even funny !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Any chance of them repainting road markings around the place now too?

• Advertisement

Have done some resurfacing on douglas road as well.

Advertisement