Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi or Lidl scarifier/aerator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

People seemed happy with the Aldi one last year: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109554221

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

People seemed happy with the Aldi one last year: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109554221

Thanks RobertFoster. Is anybody here able to confirm if the one Aldi sold last year has both the rake and blades on a single roller like this year or is it 2 separate rollers like the one in Lidl? I'm trying to figure out if one is preferable to the other. Hoping to use it for moss removal mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Redlim wrote: »
    Thanks RobertFoster. Is anybody here able to confirm if the one Aldi sold last year has both the rake and blades on a single roller like this year or is it 2 separate rollers like the one in Lidl? I'm trying to figure out if one is preferable to the other. Hoping to use it for moss removal mainly.

I think it was on 2 separate rollers (mine is a few years old but think the same as the one sold last year). To be honest the machine is so small I've never needed to put the rake attachment on as the blades have more than enough propulsion to fire the moss into the small collection basket on their own.

...just had a look and the blades on mine and they look more like this years lidl one, this years aldi one looks to have different blades so maybe it needs the rake to aid it. On that basis I'd go for the lidl one and leave the rake attachment in the box.

Cheers, will see if I can pick one up in Lidl today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I hate Boards just seen loads of stuff in Lidl I'm going to buy tomorrow...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I just had a look at lawn and loads of moss, Will this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It will pull everything out. Leave the area naked and it will need reseeding. It's a long process not quick so expect the lawn to look dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

listermint wrote: »
    It will pull everything out. Leave the area naked and it will need reseeding. It's a long process not quick so expect the lawn to look dire

Looks dire already, it was only redone 3 years ago but the build up in last 12 months is incredible....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Looks dire already, it was only redone 3 years ago but the build up in last 12 months is incredible....

Mine is the same. I think the guy that redid the lawn put that black weed blocker underneath, I’m guessing that’s helping the moss develope.

Looking forward to trying it out once I eventually get the grass cut. Think it'll be gratifying like popping a huge pimple!

But as listermint says it will look bad for a few weeks until the reseeding takes effect. Seemingly if you have a relatively large lawn it's best to use without the bag as it will fill really quick - you can just rake it into piles.

Lidl are also selling a 25m extension lead which might come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I picked up a scarifier my self and am looking for some advice on how to get the best from it please, should I put down something to kill the moss first?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I picked up a scarifier my self and am looking for some advice on how to get the best from it please, should I put down something to kill the moss first?

From what I've read it seems you don't need to kill it before scarifying, just be sure to cut the grass short beforehand. If using moss killer it might be best to use it afterwards to kill anything that's left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Anyone buy the Aerator shoes? They are a great way of getting fit if nothing else..:p

Just an update on this. I held onto the one I got in Aldi. Tried it for the first time yesterday after cutting the grass down really short. Worked great on the first scarifier setting for 10 mins and then completely packed in. Seemed to start struggling a lot all of a sudden and started smoking. Really disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I got the Lidl manual one a few years ago and I can tell you I was smoking while using it. It is tough work and would think you'd need big horsepower.
    Does a great job tough. Just scatter lawn seed after, slight rake and roll or tamp with the back of a shovel if you've a small lawn.

Water John wrote: »
    I got the Lidl manual one a few years ago and I can tell you I was smoking while using it. It is tough work and would think you'd need big horsepower.
    Does a great job tough. Just scatter lawn seed after, slight rake and roll or tamp with the back of a shovel if you've a small lawn.

Was trying it out in the front section which is only about 200sqm. I have about 850sqm in total so not too keen on doing it by hand - although I may have plenty time to do it now!

I didn't even have it at the deepest setting and my grass was very short so I'm really surprised it packed in so easily.

You'd need a full hard working day to manually do the 200 sq m, if you're a fit young man. There would be bags and bags of stuff. Did mine twice, crossing the second time.

Water John wrote: »
    You'd need a full hard working day to manually do the 200 sq m, if you're a fit young man. There would be bags and bags of stuff. Did mine twice, crossing the second time.

Cheers, I've no excuses on the age and fitness side so might just have to psyche myself up for the weekend!

Let us know how you got on.

Advertisement