Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March vs April lambing

• 01-03-2020 9:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there much difference between the two for a lowland flock?

I lambed in January for the first time ever this year, as a trial more than anything else, and it’s been a messy slog.

So I’m half thinking of going to the other end of the spectrum altogether and lambing as late as possible.

Would costs be lower with lambing from 15-April compared to lambing on St Patrick’s Day? Or are there too many variables to say one way or the other?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is there much difference between the two for a lowland flock?

I lambed in January for the first time ever this year, as a trial more than anything else, and it’s been a messy slog.

So I’m half thinking of going to the other end of the spectrum altogether and lambing as late as possible.

Would costs be lower with lambing from 15-April compared to lambing on St Patrick’s Day? Or are there too many variables to say one way or the other?

March lambing suits the grass growing pattern ,you have maximum stocking rate at times of maximum grass growth, lambs are six weeks old to utilise the may grass,
    April lambing is better weather ,longer days, more grass pre and post lambing. you'll have a lot of stock in autumn when grass is going back and will probably need a crop to finish lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭kk.man

I lambed in late December on a year like this 30 years ago. I got such a doing I never venture again. To be safe you would want extremely dry land and even at that I don't think it pays if you add labour.
    March lambs would be far ahead of April and you would have the later ones around all summer. I know weather is bad but if we got a run of good spell land would not be long drying out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

lambing for years here the end of February..(rams out 1st October)..the past 3 years has been a slog..bedding out cattle slat for ewes and lambs to free up pens,turning out ewes and lambs only to have to bring them in again with snow..going to start on paddys day next year and finish up the end of April..it usally seems to be a bit kinder from paddys day on weather wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    I lambed in late December on a year like this 30 years ago. I got such a doing I never venture again. To be safe you would want extremely dry land and even at that I don't think it pays if you add labour.
    March lambs would be far ahead of April and you would have the later ones around all summer. I know weather is bad but if we got a run of good spell land would not be long drying out.

We used to have the pedigrees out wintered from january for a couple of years but eventually built a shed for them, It's always a long winter after early january, but this year has been the pits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies.

Tis a bit of consolation to hear it’s not just me struggled with early lambing!

To try and save some bit of grass, I housed 30 replacement ewe lambs once the ewes and lambs were gone out, and they have got on grand inside. Giving them hay and 200g of a beet pulp and rolled oats mix. They’re thriving on it.

So was thinking of housing any April lambs left around in October and finishing them inside

But sure as ever, the weather will tell a lot

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Jjameson wrote: »
    A lamb that gets a good start and plenty of milk from early April will be fit sooner than an undernourished long in the wool early lamb. There’s no set rule it’s a lot of luck just like a lot of things in life.

Sound. I guess I'm trying to figure out what's the safest time to lamb, and accept the lower profits that come with it. With an off-farm job, three young lads, and a wife who works part-time, I have very little wriggle room to absorb any extra work if things get messy. To use the business terminology, I need to reduce my exposure to luck, or in this case, to the weather.

wrangler wrote: »
    We used to have the pedigrees out wintered from january for a couple of years but eventually built a shed for them, It's always a long winter after early january, but this year has been the pits

100% agree. January was easy, it was only after that the winter started!

I hear what you're both saying: you can try to fight the weather but it will cost you. I doubt I'll be taking on the weather again next year. €200/lamb wouldn't pay you for carrying buckets of meal out thru muck to troughs full of water, ewes bawling their brains out at you, and worrying about lambs getting sick.

Getting poetic now, but I was reminded of Paddy Kavanagh's Pegasus over the weekend.

Liam Clancy reciting it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zypPoM4Nyew

Pegasus

My soul was an old horse
    Offered for sale in twenty fairs.
    I offered him to the Church–the buyers
    Were little men who feared his unusual airs.
    One said: ‘Let him remain unbid
    In the wind and rain and hunger
    Of sin and we will get him–
    With the winkers thrown in–for nothing.’

Then the men of State looked at
    What I’d brought for sale.
    One minister, wondering if
    Another horse-body would fit the tail
    That he’d kept for sentiment-
    The relic of his own soul–
    Said, ‘I will graze him in lieu of his labour.’
    I lent him for a week or more