Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I convince a landlord to rent to me

Options
  • 01-03-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I'm having no luck finding somewhere to live for myself and my 3 year old child.

A couple of places I've viewed have been let to someone else after I expressed an interest.

Would it be because I have a child.

It will be my first letting but I'm working in the civil service the last 16 years so I tell them an employer reference will be no problem.

It's so stressful....I just want to find somewhere to live for the 2 of us as my current living situation is having an adverse affect on my mental health.

Is there certain lingo to use or what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That sounds like you're doing everything that's needed.
    - find places in ads online or otherswise
    - view them
    - offer to take the place
    - tell them where you work and offer reference

The child shouldn't affect them unless they think their place is unsuitable for children.
    Maybe it's just been a wierd set of coincidences.

Maybe they want a reference from previous landlord too. Can you try and get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Treat it like a job interview. Turn up prepared with all your references etc. Dont mention the child unless directly asked, get someone to mind them. Once you're offered the place they cant refuse on the basis of the child but LLs have to allow more wear and tear for children so some will be less likely to want to rent to you.

However with all that said it's just tough to find something full stop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

You must understand that there is stiff competition for any rental that comes on the market. You may have a reliable job - so will a lot of other people looking to rent the same place. They may also have previous landlord references or other items that push them ahead in the race to secure a tenancy.

The only answer is to improve your pitch to the maximum. When applying, accentuate that you have a reliable full time job and are not on HAP (that's not supposed to matter, but it might). Try to get some kind of previous landlord reference, even if its from a house share etc.. Try to be one of the first to get to the viewing and have all your documents (references, bank statements etc.) ready to get the tenancy. Also, try to visit agents operating in the area to see if you can get them to look over your references etc. in advance of a specific rental coming on the market. Many landlords use agents, and they might look favourably on someone they already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,062 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did you advertise that you are looking for a rental. Create an ad, post it up.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dont mention the child unless directly asked, get someone to mind them. Once you're offered the place they cant refuse on the basis of child .

As a landlord, I’d give preference to a single parent or family over an adult on their own. Maybe it’s because I have my own kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Also, offer to pay first month, last month and deposit up front. You are competing against a lot of people for the property and it is all about reducing risk for the LL.

Op, effectively this is a beauty contest, a professional couple, both with jobs are the preferred candidates, so you have to make a case for yourself that makes you more appealing. Money talks louder than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Treat it like a job interview. Turn up prepared with all your references etc. Dont mention the child unless directly asked, get someone to mind them. Once you're offered the place they cant refuse on the basis of the child but LLs have to allow more wear and tear for children so some will be less likely to want to rent to you.

However with all that said it's just tough to find something full stop at the moment.

Yes treat it like an interview. Don't play games with the landlord either. I had this with a prospective tenant who started dictating to me that they wanted new carpets & curtains etc.

Suffice to say they did not get it.

I actually prefer to rent to families with children as there will be no wild parties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Slydice wrote: »
    That sounds like you're doing everything that's needed.
    - find places in ads online or otherswise
    - view them
    - offer to take the place
    - tell them where you work and offer reference

The child shouldn't affect them unless they think their place is unsuitable for children.
    Maybe it's just been a wierd set of coincidences.

Maybe they want a reference from previous landlord too. Can you try and get that?

This will be my first time renting. Currently living with my parents. I can get an employer reference though.

I'm entitled to HAP of €1,500 and I can pay the difference up to €1,800 so I'm wondering if the HAP will put them off

VonBeanie wrote: »
    You must understand that there is stiff competition for any rental that comes on the market. You may have a reliable job - so will a lot of other people looking to rent the same place. They may also have previous landlord references or other items that push them ahead in the race to secure a tenancy.

The only answer is to improve your pitch to the maximum. When applying, accentuate that you have a reliable full time job and are not on HAP (that's not supposed to matter, but it might). Try to get some kind of previous landlord reference, even if its from a house share etc.. Try to be one of the first to get to the viewing and have all your documents (references, bank statements etc.) ready to get the tenancy. Also, try to visit agents operating in the area to see if you can get them to look over your references etc. in advance of a specific rental coming on the market. Many landlords use agents, and they might look favourably on someone they already know.

Thanks for the advice. Why do I need bank statements? Is it just my name and account number they will want?

I actually am entitled to HAP at the moment as I'm work sharing so I can rent anywhere on Dublin up to €1800 which limits my options.

zell12 wrote: »
    Did you advertise that you are looking for a rental. Create an ad, post it up.
    :confused:

Didnt know I could so that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

I'm currently looking myself too, and it's not easy!
    I'd echo what everyone else has said, be prepared & ready to go with everything.
    Have a little bit of info about yourself you can send on when you apply (local to the area, steady full time job etc).
    If you get a viewing, take any references you have, copies of photo IDs, payslips from work if you're comfortable doing that (a couple of estate agents have asked for this, presumably to make sure I can afford to pay the rent). But also have all this saved in an email so if you are happy with the place once you view it you can send it on to get your name in near the top of the list.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

linpoo wrote: »
    This will be my first time renting. Currently living with my parents. I can get an employer reference though.

I'm entitled to HAP of €1,500 and I can pay the difference up to €1,800 so I'm wondering if the HAP will put them off

Yes it will. It is illegal for them to refuse because of HAP but I'm sure they can find another reason. HAP pays a month behind instead of a month in advance and HAP tenants (rightly or wrongly) have a reputation for destroying houses.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Also, offer to pay first month, last month and deposit up front. You are competing against a lot of people for the property and it is all about reducing risk for the LL.

Op, effectively this is a beauty contest, a professional couple, both with jobs are the preferred candidates, so you have to make a case for yourself that makes you more appealing. Money talks louder than anything else.

Is the deposit a months rent too? I'm not even getting to view many as I'm not getting many replies.

Will have to change what I say in my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks for the advice. Why do I need bank statements? Is it just my name and account number they will want?

To prove you have the cash to pay the rent. Some like to see a years rent in the account to be safe. It also lets them know they have a decent chance making a claim against you if you destroy the place if you're not broke. It's a very competitive market so a landlord can set any criteria they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Do not give landlords your bank statements. Any landlord who insists on these is not a landlord you want.

The problem you have is HAP. They will look at a single mother on HAP and make assumptions. They won't outright say it because that would be illegal but that is your problem.

It's an absolute disgrace and I feel for you OP.

Perhaps mention somehow that you are a civil servant. Perhaps try phonecalls rather than emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Do not give landlords your bank statements. Any landlord who insists on these is not a landlord you want.

The problem you have is HAP. They will look at a single mother on HAP and make assumptions. They won't outright say it because that would be illegal but that is your problem.

Perhaps mention somehow that you are a civil servant. Perhaps try phonecalls rather than emails.

If a landlord asks for a bank statement then do give it. this will allow a landlord have an idea of your financial situation if you destroy a place. I did it and what I found was surprising, the prospective tenant was in the local pub most nights using their debit card to purchase drinks.

Sometimes you get a better understanding of a person from these sources. Remember this is a business trans, would you expect to buy a car on finance and not give financial details to the finance company?

There are issues with the HAP scheme.

I actually am entitled to HAP at the moment as I'm work sharing so I can rent anywhere on Dublin up to €1800 which limits my options.

As others have mentioned, its illegal to discriminate against a prospective renter on the basis of whether or not they receive HAP. The HAP system is a real negative for landlords, so while no landlord is ever going to say they discriminate against HAP, its going to happen.

From a Landlords point of view, its all about risk. If you can produce bank statements showing you have a heathy bank balance and some savings, this makes it more likely that you are going to be able to pay rent, and if you stop paying rent, you have some money to go after to recover losses. You don't have to show you bank statements, but if someone else in the competition is showing off a significant bank balance and history of making rent payments on time, you're finishing the race in second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Last place i rented last year check the first 100 or so replies 2 gave bank statements showing a previous rent payment history employment contract showing salary and fultime status 1 previous LL ref attached to the original inquiry both got viewings and offered to the best viewer on the day.
    If you hide any info ie HAP, professional LLs are aware of the law will never refuse or discriminate but will not hand over the keys, proof of ability to pay is a must it can take a year to evict for non payment so LLs are been risk adverse.

Is the deposit a months rent too? I'm not even getting to view many as I'm not getting many replies.

Will have to change what I say in my emails.

Effectively you would be handing over the equivalent of 3 months rent, but one is your deposit which would be returned to you at the end of your tenancy. Like many landlords, I insist on this when renting. If you are in a position to offer this, do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The first thing I ask is who will be staying there which I would expect every landlord to do.

A child wouldn't particularly make much difference to me to a let. A single income would though and would always prefer at least 2 incomes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are people really handing over bank statements with every transaction visible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Don't worry I'm sure landlords all have good data protection policies etc... Ridiculous

Don't worry I'm sure landlords all have good data protection policies etc... Ridiculous

If you want a rental property, you have to show that you have the means to pay for it. How is this ridiculous? EAs/Letting agents would have well established DP policies, I suspect most LLs would be satisfied with sight only of a bank statement showing means.

Yes they are - and some are doing it without being asked.

OP is trying to find a way to beat the competition. This is one tactic which can demonstrate track record and financial stability

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I'm having no luck finding somewhere to live for myself and my 3 year old child.

A couple of places I've viewed have been let to someone else after I expressed an interest.

It will be my first letting but I'm working in the civil service the last 16 years so I tell them an employer reference will be no problem.

It's so stressful....I just want to find somewhere to live for the 2 of us as my current living situation is having an adverse affect on my mental health.

Have you tried registering with a couple of estate agents in the area you are looking? Going in and speaking with whoever does the lettings and trying to get them to like you so that you can be ahead of properties coming on the open market? Or if there are rented apartment blocks in the area managed by one company, approaching them to see if they have anything coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Have everything in a presentable folder. You say a reference will be no problem... why dont you already have it , there in your folder. Bank statements , work contract , landlord reference and guarantor would all help.. The landlord will have 100s of applicants in Dublin anyhow. You need to show you are a low risk. The business for the landlord is all about managing risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The truth is that HAP is an absolute pain in the posterior for landlords. They can't legally refuse to take it but if there are multiple decent tenants to choose from they can only pick one and they're going to choose the one that's less hassle every time.

This is quiet normal outside of ireland. Your not renting a bicycle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you want a rental property, you have to show that you have the means to pay for it. How is this ridiculous? EAs/Letting agents would have well established DP policies, I suspect most LLs would be satisfied with sight only of a bank statement showing means.

A bank statement showing only the rent being paid each month should be more than enough, any more than that is mental

• Advertisement

HAP and welfare tenants do not have a good reputation. Now I know what posters will say it's illegal to refuse , they can't do that etc etc . But I have yet to see a poster who cries a river of the injustice of it all offering a place to a Hap tenant or other wise. You will need to up your game it will be tough to get a place. Have your folder of documentation ready and a guarantor also in place.

Advertisement